AE2 storage cells

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gilliam

Jul 29, 2019
Looking for advise please. My ae2 storage system has over 60 4k storage cells and they are all near capacity. Obviously your think just add more but with my setup i don't have the channel capacity to add more housings for the cells. Is there a way to take a storage cell and see the items banked within it and move them out into a newly crafted 16 k storage cell ?

Thanks

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
My suggestion is to build deep storage units. Put a storage bus on them with a high priority and an export bus and off load everything over 4000 units in your system.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
An ME chest will show you the items in a single cell.

Once you've decided what items to move: Preformat your 16k cell with those items. Get an ME IO port, set it to transfer from the network into the cell, then put the 16k cell in the left side. It will suck all those items out of your network onto the cell, or until it's full. That saves you from going through each 4k cell individually.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
An ME chest will show you the items in a single cell.

Once you've decided what items to move: Preformat your 16k cell with those items. Get an ME IO port, set it to transfer from the network into the cell, then put the 16k cell in the left side. It will suck all those items out of your network onto the cell, or until it's full. That saves you from going through each 4k cell individually.
This is exactly how I prefer to use my AE storage. I just throw in Priority settings to put it in system.

Basically I have ME chests with the very lowest priority in the network(So I can see all the random "junk" that have come in), formatted disk/storage bus with highest priority for all the bulk items(all that stuff that I know and want to save in large amounts) and then various disposal measures(trash can, Recyclers, Ethanol production etc.) in between ranked in priority(because you really don't need X million Gravel, do you?).

When I then find an item in the ME chests that I want to add to the bulk storage, I simple take a sample of it, format a disk for it, put the disk into the ME IO port with it set to fill the disk from network and then put the disk in the bulk storage Drives.

Described it in more detail in this old post:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...guide-collection-etc.42664/page-2#post-587528
It is based on AE1, but core principles are the same.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, if you use the "Super Soaryn Drive", you can have basically as many drives as you want without running out of channels. You basically chain subnetworks together recursively with storage busses and interfaces.
But it's probably not needed if you use larger pre-formatted cells or even Deep Storage Units for stuff you have much of.

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
First of all figure out what is filling your drives. If it's some auto-import farm use an ME Level Emitter to shut it off. If it's trash you don't want anyway set up an Export Bus into Matter Condenser (or any other trash can). If it's a specific kind of items that's impractical to store on drives, look into alternative storage options (mob drop armor/weapons are a prime candidate due to spawning with many different damage values, ExtraUtils Filing Cabinets can help there)
If you still have large numbers of several valuable item types after that, do what the others said to actually reformat your drives and expand the storage system. Also read up on advanced AE builds, 60 cells means only 6 drives, you can fit 8 of those on a basic cable, 32 on dense...