AE2 Question

Boes

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question regarding AE2. With the channel mechanics that are currently in place, you can place a controller surrounded by 6 different color dense cables and then place 32 p2p connections on each cable, for a theoretical max of 6144 channels per controller, so why in the world would you ever need to have more than one controller per base? or a controller in multi-block form.

32 channels per cable
32 p2p connections per cable, 32 channels per p2p connection
so 32x32x6 per controller

Boes

Jul 29, 2019
but, each p2p connection uses a single channel correct?

Nvm, the network maxs out at 8 channels with out another controller for the p2p side.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
but, each p2p connection uses a single channel correct?

Nvm, the network maxs out at 8 channels with out another controller for the p2p side.
Oh, that's easily manageable by using another controller for the sub-network. The problem is that No matter how many places you can hook up an arbitrary number of connections to for the P2P hooked up to the face, it can only provide 32 channels. You can hook a single face up to thousands of different places via a P2P network, but that isn't going to change the number channels each face can provide.

Boes

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I've been experimenting and not having much luck getting any configuration of p2p to work for me today.. oh well, guess my brain is to tired to see what I'm doing wrong.
I was thinking that the 32 channels per p2p would allow you to bypass the limit at the controller.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Nope. However, what you CAN do is this... You can have 6x P2P Tunnels covering a single controller block, using either a metric ton of dense cable or using a single controller on your sub-network (since you're going to be using 12 channels at a minimum, probably more), can run 192 channels to anywhere you need to get them.

Boes

Jul 29, 2019
that is what I had come up with as well after quite a bit of time experimenting with various layouts in a creative world. thanks for the advise :)

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
you can also put 2 controller blocks next to each other (to form a multiblock) for even more channels on a single network.

Boes

Jul 29, 2019
The idea i had orginally was to minimize the number of controllers and excess cables i would need running around the base. but given that my idea was so far out into left field that i missed getting to the ball pack all together lol, I am now using a sub networks for each building and then just tying those together into a single master controller to allow everything to talk to each other.

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
One caveat with subnetworks is that they don't allow access to autocrafting from the main network. Due to this it's probably best to P2P over a "main network" line to each area and host all AE-based autocrafting in one place close to your controller.
Since many systems instead produce continuous output (crop-, animal-, tree- and mobfarms, quarries, MFR laser drills etc.) those are best outsourced to a non-AE storage or a subnet. The same goes for more complex crafting, you can e.g. make a pattern for "raw materials go in, completed Tesseract comes out" and pass the items to a subnet (or an SFM/pipe system).
If you don't consider it "cheating" you can also use additional buffer chests with SFM or a computer in between for nigh-unlimited filter space in place of import buses, and an ME interface for 9 output slots (previously 8) without capacity cards. You can even make the extra chest an ender chest to save on quantum bridges.

Boes

Jul 29, 2019
The way i eventually got the base wired is 128 drives in the storage room and 24 barrels all in the sub-network style layout and then fed into the main controller in the other building which runs everything else via p2p.

the best part of the setup for me was the storage bus on the diamond chest set at high priority with all the ores set as what it receives and then feeds out to pulverizer and redstone furnaces on it's own subnet as well.

I do use ender chests and ender tanks quite a bit in most of my bases, and that is even for use just in the base when i'm being lazy about laying out wiring/piping, my farms for an example and then it's sucked into the ae system in another part of the base.