AE2 Discussion

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I play Resonant Rise, so if I try looting a Better Dungeon I'm just going to get swarmed by a few dozen 20-health, enchanted-dia armor godmode killing machines lol.
Mekanism obsidian Armor helps a lot with those critters. In RR I tend to go to the twilight forest before the nether just to get atlarus & adamantine. They're used to make tartarite which makes you nigh invulnerable. I don't tackle any chocoquest dungeons without either of those armors.

You could also be cheesy and just drop a quarry on top. Either way you can clear one and end up with almost everything you need to get an AE network going.

Reactions: Zenthon_127

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I play Resonant Rise, so if I try looting a Better Dungeon I'm just going to get swarmed by a few dozen 20-health, enchanted-dia armor godmode killing machines lol.
Isn't modular powersuits in RR? Because seriously... shield up and laugh. Plus all the utility you could ever ask for in armor.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
By the point you have a serious MPS suit in RR, finding presses won't exactly be an issue. :p
It doesn't take THAT much to get a suit going. It uses the TE3 recipes. Granted, you'll need to stick your nose into the nether for the nether brick for the Magmatic Crucible for the Enderium, but everything else can pretty much be obtained fairly early on.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that the whole "limited channels" thing will likely lead to a tonne of subnetting, which might end up increasing server loads...I don't know, I don't have Algo's code in front of me, so I can't say for certain, but it does sound like the kind of thing that'd create a tonne of overheads. Typically, if a problem could be solved thru either multiple small things or one big thing, the more server-friendly approach is the one big thing.
Actually with AE1 it is the opposite. The large networks always caused far more server load than many subnets covering the same thing. Like exponentially worse for the server. Something to do with threads that I have no idea how those work.

Edit: and not sure if you were aware so just incase thought I'd mention AE2 networks can be well over 20 times larger than AE1 networks. AE1 networks were hard limited to just over 1k devices (due to larger networks causing so much more load as mentioned above). AE2 you can have well over 20,000 devices on one network. Although I can't even imagine anyone making a base than needs 20,000 devices. :p So ya, that is your the limit AE2 sets is over 20,000, but honestly you are more limited by your own creativity to figure out how that is accomplished. (although I posted a picture in this thread.)

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
@Bevo: That's rather queer, but I suppose it makes sense. If each AE network works on a single thread, then it'd make sense to break things up into multiple subnets to exploit the features of multi-core processors that are becoming ever more common nowadays. As for the size of potential AE2 networks, I never maxed out a regular AE1 network, even with a fully operational base with auto-crafting, ore processing, almost excessive levels of automation, so I doubt I'd need more, lol.

Though, having to dick around with puddles and whatnot would, honestly, be a bit of an arse to deal with. I suppose, once auto-crafting is implemented, I'll bother with it. I can tell ya right now, though, I'll probably be using those dense cables exclusively; I hate having to work with multiple types of wire just to get one thing working properly. I'll also more than likely not play this without something like AetherCraft, so I can just make the initial batch of puddle crystals and craft the rest using an interface and a condenser. I absolutely hate having free-floating entities everywhere, its one of the main reasons I hate chickens so damned much.