AE2 Discussion

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I am not too well versed in the subtle nuances of Gifspeak, nut what on earth does that mean?

GQ1iJ1w.gif

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
For those complaining about meteors : you are aware that it's not true you get only single press from a meteor? You often get 2-3 different ones, so it's not as bad as some try to make it look. At least in my case i got on average 2 unique plates from each meteors.

I don't say it won't be anoying sometimes, but at least check your facts.

Reactions: midi_sec

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
AE2 looks like it can be a lot of fun.

For everyone complaining about the meteors ... A solution has already been provided -- the compass.
From what I read, everyone is assuming the plates will be inside a chest in the meteor and the compass will point you to the chest. Which is fine until somebody comes and loots the chest, and now your compass points to an empty chest.

Problem is easily solved: Dont use a chest, but a "loot block" or something that will drop the plates when broken.
Compass points to the loot block.
Player breaks loot block.
Compass points to a new loot block.

problem solved

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I am prety sure compass works on world generation and seed rather than actual chest. It finds closes coordinates where metor would be created if circustances were right. For it to find actual chest you would have to have all the chunks loaded up at all time. It is like eyes of ender takes you sometimes to place where end portal should be even if it was mind out or eeaten by revine etc. So having some loot block won't change anything.

Reactions: YX33A

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
For those complaining about meteors : you are aware that it's not true you get only single press from a meteor? You often get 2-3 different ones, so it's not as bad as some try to make it look. At least in my case i got on average 2 unique plates from each meteors.

I don't say it won't be anoying sometimes, but at least check your facts.
You know where this information was found? Absolutely nowhere, to my knowledge. Does it change the SMP problem? No. I will edit my post slightly, but my outlook on it remains the same.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You know where this information was found? Absolutely nowhere, to my knowledge. Does it change the SMP problem? No. I will edit my post slightly, but my outlook on it remains the same.
Still, one can copy those plates quite easily it seems. A Block of Iron and a plate gets you a new plate. With This Badboy no less. IE the one you need to use those plates anyway.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The problem is that you have two, mutually exclusive issues that are going to happen with Meteors.

Case A: They are common enough that you can readily obtain the patterns (not so in my experience, it took me several hours to obtain them all because of duplicates and non-original patterns being found, but I may have simply been the unfortunate victim of the RNG Gremlins). This also means they are common enough that they are crowding out normal oregen and end up with a whole ton of blocks from your quarrying that you will never ever use.

Case B: They are rare enough that the odds of you collecting them all is going to require a massive active hunt for meteors. Complicated by the fact that the compass will often point you to one you've already unearthed and looted, simply because it is the nearest. This is, in my opinion, the opposite of fun.

Splitting the difference and finding that balancing point between them is going to be nearly impossible because everyone has that balance point in a different place. People who like a challenge, who enjoy doing bees without the ExtraBees serums or Gendustry, who applaud Gregorious for extending out the IC2 tech tree, who enjoy Skyblocks as a light warm-up... these guys are going to want Case B in effect. More casual gamers, however, are going to both want Case A and hate the fact that they're digging up more meteor than ore from their quarrying.

I would hope that a config option for the rarity of meteors and the option to craft the patterns (out of suitably expensive materials, of course) will arise at some point.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that you have two, mutually exclusive issues that are going to happen with Meteors.

Case A: They are common enough that you can readily obtain the patterns (not so in my experience, it took me several hours to obtain them all because of duplicates and non-original patterns being found, but I may have simply been the unfortunate victim of the RNG Gremlins). This also means they are common enough that they are crowding out normal oregen and end up with a whole ton of blocks from your quarrying that you will never ever use.

Case B: They are rare enough that the odds of you collecting them all is going to require a massive active hunt for meteors. Complicated by the fact that the compass will often point you to one you've already unearthed and looted, simply because it is the nearest. This is, in my opinion, the opposite of fun.

Splitting the difference and finding that balancing point between them is going to be nearly impossible because everyone has that balance point in a different place. People who like a challenge, who enjoy doing bees without the ExtraBees serums or Gendustry, who applaud Gregorious for extending out the IC2 tech tree, who enjoy Skyblocks as a light warm-up... these guys are going to want Case B in effect. More casual gamers, however, are going to both want Case A and hate the fact that they're digging up more meteor than ore from their quarrying.

I would hope that a config option for the rarity of meteors and the option to craft the patterns (out of suitably expensive materials, of course) will arise at some point.
Forget about the meteors, MineTweaker forever!
But I agree with @ShneekeyTheLost in that if they are to common, you may never use a lot of the stuff.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Forget about the meteors, MineTweaker forever!
But I agree with @ShneekeyTheLost in that if they are to common, you may never use a lot of the stuff.
I'm pretty sure your not going to have the issue of it being too common. How many times with ae1 did you think "wow I have so much useless quartz"?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm pretty sure your not going to have the issue of it being too common. How many times with ae1 did you think "wow I have so much useless quartz"?
Considering the meteor takes up half a chunk, you've got stacks of the material out of one meteor, and you only need four of them per ME Controller block... I foresee a great amount of the stuff not being used. Granted, it is a multiblock, however one meteor will be sufficient to provide tens of thousands of channels.

An 'exploit' I see immediately is to decentralize your ME Networks. Build a ton of subnets, and you'll never need to actually build an ME Controller. For example, your ore processing plant has inputs from itemducts or other non-AE setups, the outputs are fed into a single ME Interface (1 channel), and are stored in a single ME Disk Drive (1 channel). You'll need an ME Crafting Terminal as well to access your stuff (1 more channel). This is three channels to handle your entire ore processing facility. You will probably need a Controller once you get into auto-crafting, but if you are clever you probably won't need one until that point. Itemducts, Fluiducts, Hardened Energy Conduit... these are things that move stuff around quite readily that don't require AE at all.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Here are my opinions on AE2 regarding ballance questions raised already.

AE should be endgame (I know algo likes in mid-game) but for me I like to start off with vanilla chest to start > other simple sorting (TE, Extra Ut, Railcraft ...) and such early and mid-game, then get into AE & Logi Pipes endgame. This way I get to play everything available to me.

The issue I had with AE1 was while AE was intended for late-mid game the truth was you could get a network up and running right off the bat. Just a hour or two in game. And once you had that network up, you just added to it. Which was super boring IMO. AE2 addresses a couple of issues here for me. One while you can still start AE in Day 1 if you go nuts, it is better to just find things as they come and use them when you get to that point in the game. On SMP if area near spawn is cleaned up already, just pillar to bedrock roof in nether and dig 100-500 or more blocks any directions and make a portal for fresh gen (that fresh gen argument in SMP I can't wrap my head around as I can think of dozens of very easy obvious solutions.)

But what I really love is that it isn't just that you set up a network 1 hour in game and just add to it for the rest of your game. Now the networks are something you are invest a little creativity as you add to it. AND subnets are a actual thing for a change. It adds so much to me that I enjoy. Much less boring without just being another Greg type (crafting a gazillion things). It is actually about being creative in how and where you place block in the world. I find world interactions and creativity much more rewarding than crafting X of this and that.

Like I said, that is just my opinion and obviously differs greatly with most. Which is fine. :)

Last edited: