AE2 and the mystery of the vanishing buckets!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Playing FTB Infinity Evolved in hard mode.

I'm fairly deep into my second base / data centre and am heavily using AE2 (which is awesome!) and Ender IO, mainly because i've not done much with that mod before, loving the machines!

I've built a gigantic machine room and so far everything works just fine, except for anything that involves buckets filled with liquids.

For example, the recipe for plastic sheets requires rocket fuel, a pair of Ender IO, 'The Vat' machines can sort this out easily enough. I pump the Rocketfuel to an adjacent Thermal Expansion Fluid Transposer machine.

A standard ME interface with a processing recipe informs the ME network that to obtain a bucket of Rocket Fuel, an empty bucket needs to be inserted into the Fluid Transposer. I have also placed a 'crafting' card upgrade into the ME interface so the network will know to create an empty bucket if one is not present in inventory on the network.

Now, from the ME terminal,I can order as many buckets of rocket fuel as I like and they turn up in my inventory.

If however, I try to have AE autocraft the plastic sheets, something weird happens.

The Buckets get filled up with rocket fuel (I am watching this happen via the Fluid Transposers UI) but.. the buckets never get used to craft the recipe, they just vanish!

If I manually order the buckets first and have them in the AE network inventory, THEN go to craft the plastic sheets, everything just works...

I suspect I am doing something wrong, because this recipe will leave an empty bucket behind and perhaps the AE network doesn't know how to handle that?

The same thing happens with I try to create snow, by compressing a water bucket in an IC2 compressor.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

-Wuffle!

condensedapple

Jul 29, 2019
Use Extra Cells' Fluid Assembler. It is SO AWESOME. You can put recipe patterns with fluid buckets in it, and it will use the stocked fluids in your network to craft them (no need for buckets). If you need other types of "fluid containers" to be autocrafted, use the Auto Filler (but be aware of this, espc. the edit). Extra Cells provides rather good documentation with the IGW-Mod (sadly not in IE:E).

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use a cyclic assembler. Fill it up with a fluid and it will craft recipies that needs a bucket of the fluid without the fluid.

I used it to make Pam's salt and fresh water when fresh water stopped yielding 4 per craft.

There's also a MFR version that does the same thing.

Of course if you can get it to work you can also use ExtaCells like suggested already.

condensedapple

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use a cyclic assembler. Fill it up with a fluid and it will craft recipies that needs a bucket of the fluid without the fluid. There's also a MFR version that does the same thing.
Very nice for low-level crafting (only one recipe with one fluid), the Fluid Assembler is far more powerful, though.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Playing FTB Infinity Evolved in hard mode.

I'm fairly deep into my second base / data centre and am heavily using AE2 (which is awesome!) and Ender IO, mainly because i've not done much with that mod before, loving the machines!

I've built a gigantic machine room and so far everything works just fine, except for anything that involves buckets filled with liquids.

For example, the recipe for plastic sheets requires rocket fuel, a pair of Ender IO, 'The Vat' machines can sort this out easily enough. I pump the Rocketfuel to an adjacent Thermal Expansion Fluid Transposer machine.

A standard ME interface with a processing recipe informs the ME network that to obtain a bucket of Rocket Fuel, an empty bucket needs to be inserted into the Fluid Transposer. I have also placed a 'crafting' card upgrade into the ME interface so the network will know to create an empty bucket if one is not present in inventory on the network.

Now, from the ME terminal,I can order as many buckets of rocket fuel as I like and they turn up in my inventory.

If however, I try to have AE autocraft the plastic sheets, something weird happens.

The Buckets get filled up with rocket fuel (I am watching this happen via the Fluid Transposers UI) but.. the buckets never get used to craft the recipe, they just vanish!

If I manually order the buckets first and have them in the AE network inventory, THEN go to craft the plastic sheets, everything just works...

I suspect I am doing something wrong, because this recipe will leave an empty bucket behind and perhaps the AE network doesn't know how to handle that?

The same thing happens with I try to create snow, by compressing a water bucket in an IC2 compressor.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

-Wuffle!

I would work around your glitch by using ME Level Emitters to keep a base supply of filled buckets in the ME system at all times. This also has the benefit of speeding up crafting times, as the first steps are already done. I understand that this usually means a Fluid Transposer (or EIO Tank, if you opt low power consumption) per liquid, but I usually end up doing that somewhere along the lines anyway.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Inaeo,

I just wanted to let you know that I have built the power system in your signature! Talk about the rabbit hole of rabbit holes... This sent me on some adventures indeed, Sunday morning's epic quest for a cold biome so I could find a Blizz for those rodes, then having to work my head around the Ender IO powered spawner (because I'm trying new things, been doing MFR for ages).

Totally off topic, but since I started the thread...

Here it is!

2016-07-11_19.21.56.png 2016-07-11_19.22.05.png 2016-07-11_19.22.14.png 2016-07-11_19.22.49.png

This, now this is probably the most fun thing i've built in Modded Minecraft, some of those materials are a real challenge. I made the version with the 20
TE Steam Dynamo's, it runs my entire base with 7.5k RF/Tick to spare to power an upgraded ender quarry.

My AE2 Data Centre is on the lower levels.

I am considering redoing it to a vertical build and then having several stacks of these things running.

I must farm more Iridium before I can get onto the big reactor turbines.

I just wanted to credit you with your reactor design :)

-Wuffle!

Reactions: Inaeo

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Just a small contribution: I believe IE's Assembler is also a fairly cheap, fairly early alternative that allows you to do crafting with fluids - it can hold multiple recipes and (I think!) multiple fluids.

- GwnG

EDIT:
It can hold 3 recipes and has internal tanks for 3 separate fluids; so for example, you could have one recipe for concrete with water, one for treated wood with creosote, and one for enderium blend with resonant ender.

Last edited: