AE subnetwork for crafting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

van Krass

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,
i got a little problem and cant quite figure out how to do it, so i figured why not ask here...

So basically i want to have a me chest where everything what i manually craft gets dumped in there, so all of the autocrafitng form level emitters and what not will not be placed there and i dont want to preformat every disk i have in my system.

What i have tried so far, is to make a subnetwork wich only have a me chest, a crafting terminal and monitor, a MAC and of course a controller with power source.

So now to the connetion part. LP inst able to autocraft in AE so that wouldnt work. If i use storage buses attached to me interfaces the subnetwork can request items from the mainnetwork but i cant craft from the main.

Anyone knows a good way to achiev this?

Btw ths for reading so far and sry for my crappy english :)

Cheers Marc

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The problem is that if your subnetwork has two-way accessibility, it isn't actually a subnetwork in any but a technical sense. So if you want each subnetwork's inventory to be accessible from the other as you indicate, there's no way to ensure that anything you manually craft ends up on a specific storage module without preformatting most other storage modules. What I'm doing is this:

(1) I keep a subnetwork for all farming and mob grinding products, which only has preformatted modules. Products are routed into it with a Mk5 Chassis Logistics pipe filled with Itemsink modules This subnetwork is accessible for the main system but can't insert into it, so that overflow produce can be routed to the trash with LP Terminus modules, avoiding the default route into the main ME network. This also has the advantage that whenever I modify the system, overflow produce is trashed during that time rather than clogging up the main system.

(2) On my main system, I keep preformatted modules for resource-type stuff, set for high priority storage, and one ME drive filled with 1k storage modules for crafted stuff and random pickups. Whenever I automate production for something that's likely to result in a lot of it, I move it its storage to a preformatted disk. If it's likely to result in an unlimited supply eventually, I put in on the subnetwork for farming so I can control overflow.

As for autocrafting requests from LP, I've fought with that problem it seems forever. There isn't a patent solution. I'm currently experimenting with ComputerCraft code to make sure the ME autocrafts certain items whenever the the stock falls below a certain limit, so that these items are always available for the LP system to request. This problem is the result of a few limitations of the ME network. Mainly, ME interfaces can limit what they export, but they can't be set to "always autocraft". Meanwhile, export buses can be set to always autocraft, but they can't limit what they export, and level emitters can only check the contents of the network, not the contents of other inventories as they would need to, and only check one item per emitter which makes using them take up insane amounts of space.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

van Krass

Jul 29, 2019
Thx for your answer. That makes sense with the two-way... i guess i have to find another solution then.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm....actually maybe this works: If you connect your subnetworks with two storage buses and set both to "extract only", then you'll have access to the "other" part of the network for crafting, but won't be able to put anything in the other network.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Hmm....actually maybe this works: If you connect your subnetworks with two storage buses and set both to "extract only", then you'll have access to the "other" part of the network for crafting, but won't be able to put anything in the other network.

That's pretty cool if it works.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you mean just pointing 2 Storage Bus directly at each other then it doesn't work. They only register inventories they are connected to and the other storage bus has no inventory. Just in case there was some special mechanic for this I tested it out and there isn't. Doesn't work.

If you want to have a true sub-network, then you need to export the items into the other network by the use of a ME export bus or a ME interface with recipe patterns. If you connect them with a cable they will be the same network and have full access to everything in each other.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hey all,
i got a little problem and cant quite figure out how to do it, so i figured why not ask here...

So basically i want to have a me chest where everything what i manually craft gets dumped in there, so all of the autocrafitng form level emitters and what not will not be placed there and i dont want to preformat every disk i have in my system.

What i have tried so far, is to make a subnetwork wich only have a me chest, a crafting terminal and monitor, a MAC and of course a controller with power source.

So now to the connetion part. LP inst able to autocraft in AE so that wouldnt work. If i use storage buses attached to me interfaces the subnetwork can request items from the mainnetwork but i cant craft from the main.

Anyone knows a good way to achiev this?

Btw ths for reading so far and sry for my crappy english :)

Cheers Marc
It can be done, but it is a massive setup. You would have to have ME Interfaces(with the recipes in) exporting the items on craft into a chest(or pipes or something) that the subnetwork then imports from. The subnetwork then also needs to have a copy of the recipe in a MAC and have a ME export bus set to "always craft" that item pointing a chest or something where you go to pick it up. This way when you asks for a craft in the main network, it exports the item into the sub-network which is constantly trying to craft it.

Major flaws of the network(in addition to the MASSIVE work it is to set up and manage), is that if the items exported match any other pattern you might end up with a completely other item crafted.

Honestly: Just bite the damn bullet and preformat your discs. It is pretty damn easy compared to all this.

Made a small guide on how you can do this in a smart way:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...and-guide-collection.42664/page-2#post-587528

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
If you mean just pointing 2 Storage Bus directly at each other then it doesn't work. They only register inventories they are connected to and the other storage bus has no inventory. Just in case there was some special mechanic for this I tested it out and there isn't. Doesn't work.

If you want to have a true sub-network, then you need to export the items into the other network by the use of a ME export bus or a ME interface with recipe patterns. If you connect them with a cable they will be the same network and have full access to everything in each other.
No. What I meant is the sub- and main network each pointing a storage bus at an interface which is part of the other one, with both interfaces not set to export anything specific so that everything is visible through it and both set to extract only.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No. What I meant is the sub- and main network each pointing a storage bus at an interface which is part of the other one, with both interfaces not set to export anything specific so that everything is visible through it.
That wont work either. The ME interface mimics a chest(or any other inventory) and if nothing is set in the "Export" section then that chest is empty. It doesn't magically suddenly contain everything in the network.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
That wont work either. The ME interface mimics a chest(or any other inventory) and if nothing is set in the "Export" section then that chest is empty. It doesn't magically suddenly contain everything in the network.
Actually, it does. If you don't set the interface to export anything specific, everything in the network is visible for a Provider Logistics Pipe and for a storage bus from another network. I have it working that way in my current game, only one-way. I keep my farming products in one network to keep the overflow from spilling into the other, but I can still use the contents of the subnetwork for crafting in the main.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Actually, it does. If you don't set the interface to export anything specific, everything in the network is visible for a Provider Logistics Pipe and for a storage bus from another network. I have it working that way in my current game, only one-way. I keep my farming products in one network to keep the overflow from spilling into the other, but I can still use the contents of the subnetwork for crafting in the main.
Oh you are absolutely right. I tested it out to make sure, but must have clicked the wrong block when looking.

Then its quite simple to set up a MAC, access terminal and a ME chest in a sub-network and just craft everything from there.

But crafting it FROM the main network is still a pain.

van Krass

Jul 29, 2019
I already tried the 2 storagebus thing, didnt work so well, ie the subnetwork gets the item info from the main and the main things that the stuff is actually in the sub network and the numbers just keep on raising until i remove on of the buses.
Thx for all the suggestions so far.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
and the main things that the stuff is actually in the sub network and the numbers just keep on raising until i remove on of the buses.
Huh? Could you rephrase that somehow cause really don't understand what you mean.

Have you actually made 2 separate networks(2 controllers etc)? or are you describing your attempts with it all wired up as the same network?

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
No, that happens when you short-cut two networks, been there, done that =)
(Interface NW1 with storage bus from NW2 + interface from NW2 with storage bus from NW1)

van Krass

Jul 29, 2019
Sry was a bit in a hurry when i wrote that.
Ok i try it once again.
2 networks, each with their own controller and the subnet gets its energie from the main.
every network is only connected to the other one via me inteface+storage bus in extraction only combination.
so the subnetwork sees the stuff from the main network and vice versa.
as example, the main one has 64 cobble, so the sub sees this and thinks it has 64 cobble aswell. so the main sees the sub has 64 cobble plus the 64 cobble that are actually there, so i thinks it has 128 cobble and so on.
hope you understand me now :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
An infinite loop. Yeah, that's what's repeatedly ruining my LP/AE connections. LP is intelligent enough to avoid such effects - you can put a supplier and a provider pipe on the same inventory with no side effects since the system checks if the attached inventories are identical and does nothing if they are - but unfortunately, the ME network is a bit stupid about this.

van Krass

Jul 29, 2019
If only LP could request crafting from AE, that would be so nice...
Btw rhn, you got a really nice setup there dude :)

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i try it once again.
2 networks, each with their own controller and the subnet gets its energie from the main.
every network is only connected to the other one via me inteface+storage bus in extraction only combination.
as example, the main one has 64 cobble, so the sub sees this and thinks it has 64 cobble aswell. so the main sees the sub has 64 cobble plus the 64 cobble that are actually there, so i thinks it has 128 cobble and so on.
You can do that but must carefully configure the storage busses. My ore processing network is hooked up like that. The storage bus from my main network is configured to store only and filtered for ores. The back one is also store only and filtered for items I get from quarries that I want to put into my main network (quarry output goes directly into the ore processing network). Ore processing output goes directly into my main network.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i try it once again.
would something like this work? http://ae1.ae-mod.info/Subnetworks/Supplier/

I'm not sure why you'd want two separate networks to be able to see the same inventory. That seems a bit redundant to me.