AE subnetwork for crafting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
would something like this work? http://ae1.ae-mod.info/Subnetworks/Supplier/

I'm not sure why you'd want two separate networks to be able to see the same inventory. That seems a bit redundant to me.
I've had a debate with the creator of AE about that. This logic takes up 2-3 blocks per item you want to supply. That's just not acceptable in any reasonably-sized network. A Logistics Pipes supplier can control up to nine items with one pipe. Even normal Buildcraft pipes can have additional logic significantly more complex than a level emitter without having to add a single block. AE level emitters are, as far as I'm concerned, of very limited utility.

Of course this would all be no problem at all if AE would answer Logistics Pipes' crafting requests.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I've had a debate with the creator of AE about that. This logic takes up 2-3 blocks per item you want to supply. That's just not acceptable in any reasonably-sized network. A Logistics Pipes supplier can control up to nine items with one pipe. Even normal Buildcraft pipes can have additional logic significantly more complex than a level emitter without having to add a single block. AE level emitters are, as far as I'm concerned, of very limited utility.

Of course this would all be no problem at all if AE would answer Logistics Pipes' crafting requests.
i'm not debating the (in)efficiency of the network i linked, it's just a lot easier to link something that "just works" rather than going through all the ins and outs of what I do differently to accomplish the same task. If this works for him, he can take the R&D time and improve upon it and fix the disadvantages.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
What I'm doing is this:

(1) I keep a subnetwork for all farming and mob grinding products, which only has preformatted modules. Products are routed into it with a Mk5 Chassis Logistics pipe filled with Itemsink modules This subnetwork is accessible for the main system but can't insert into it, so that overflow produce can be routed to the trash with LP Terminus modules, avoiding the default route into the main ME network. This also has the advantage that whenever I modify the system, overflow produce is trashed during that time rather than clogging up the main system.
[snip]

I was researching how to subnetwork AE when I stumbled across this thread. My plan was simply to give my MAC access to external storage without also giving access to the crafting drives [preventing them from becoming overflow destinations]. I found what I was looking for [storage bus on MAC side reading an Interface on the storage side] and then came back to re-read your setup.

I'm playing Agrarian Skies v3.x so I don't have access LP [just AE, TE3 tubes, and I've enabled Extra Utilities pipes]. Is there a way to replicate what you've done in step 1 with what I have access to? Given my knowledge of AE & TE3, I can't see any way to handle overflow before everything gets into the AE network. If not, what I may end up doing is throwing a void upgrade on barrels I know will overflow...but that's still after stuff gets into the AE network.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I was researching how to subnetwork AE when I stumbled across this thread. My plan was simply to give my MAC access to external storage without also giving access to the crafting drives [preventing them from becoming overflow destinations]. I found what I was looking for [storage bus on MAC side reading an Interface on the storage side] and then came back to re-read your setup.

I'm playing Agrarian Skies v3.x so I don't have access LP [just AE, TE3 tubes, and I've enabled Extra Utilities pipes]. Is there a way to replicate what you've done in step 1 with what I have access to? Given my knowledge of AE & TE3, I can't see any way to handle overflow before everything gets into the AE network. If not, what I may end up doing is throwing a void upgrade on barrels I know will overflow...but that's still after stuff gets into the AE network.
Hmm...perhaps if you use a separate sorting system for farms output, with no entry into the main network, but only into the subnetwork (or separate network) that handles farm output with only "preformatted" barrels or storage modules as storage. I don't know how ME interfaces behave if there is no valid storage destination for something you pipe into them. If they won't accept those items, TE itemducts won't see them as a valid destination, and then you can use an itemduct set to "dense" mode to route the overflow into a trashcan or a condenser. You can then use storage buses to access either your barrels, or the subnetwork's storage modules through an ME interfact, from the main network.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...perhaps if you use a separate sorting system for farms output, with no entry into the main network, but only into the subnetwork (or separate network) that handles farm output with only "preformatted" barrels or storage modules as storage. I don't know how ME interfaces behave if there is no valid storage destination for something you pipe into them. If they won't accept those items, TE itemducts won't see them as a valid destination, and then you can use an itemduct set to "dense" mode to route the overflow into a trashcan or a condenser. You can then use storage buses to access either your barrels, or the subnetwork's storage modules through an ME interfact, from the main network.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how the interface will behave either, but I'll find out as I'm currently setting up my storage. I have a feeling the internal [8-slot?] capacity of the interface will fill up before denying any items. Hopefully not. Your mention of the condenser got me thinking more about maybe letting AE process overflow. In Agrarian Skies [AgS], you can compost various items to make dirt. I hate just throwing things away, so I may setup a sorting system where compost-able overflow goes one-way and everything else is sent to the condenser.

The real problem I recall with letting AE process overflow [experiences with 1.5 AE, and aside from the wasted power drain] was that it simply wasn't fast enough if too many items start to overflow. I recall having 3 diamond chests and a condenser setup for overflow and it was barely enough.

Edit: yup, the 8 slots in the interface fill up and then the interface starts refusing anything else. I can setup a duct to take care of the overflow before the AE network, but then it becomes either/or. Either the items overflow into the AE network or they are totally excluded from the AE network.

The other problem is once the interface is full of items it can't do anything with, nothing else gets passed through. I wonder...I may be able to duct items out of the interface and into a void. Depends on which system is faster AE or TE3 as to who gets the item. I'll have to test this.

Last edited: