AE ate my diamonds :(

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Just about every suggestion so far has implied an error on my part (which is fine, it's certainly possible) or something else. But it seems like a very unpopular idea to consider that AE might itself actually (gasp!) have a bug or something.
That's because "maybe it's some kind of bug in AE" is a completely obvious and also completely unhelpful thing to say.

Reactions: Affex

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So we have some guy who makes an unconfirmed statement about losing diamonds, which has yet to be verified or duplicated,

Pics/Logs or it didn't happen?

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
SomeGuy, dakamojo, and Zerodaimaru all claim to have had a problem at some point...

Granted, two of the problems are dupe bugs and one is an disappearing bug, but there could be some bugs hiding in there.

Edit: *I is ninja*

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
So we have some guy who makes an unconfirmed statement about losing diamonds, which has yet to be verified or duplicated,

Pics/Logs or it didn't happen?

Wow... ok, maybe we should just close this thread. I just came in here cos I encountered a problem, and I asked if anyone had seen similar, or had advice on how to avoid it in future.

I think what I'll avoid in future is asking for help.

I'm familiar with troubleshooting, and the difficulty of providing blind support for people, who may or may not understand their environment. In this case, there really isn't any data I can provide to shed extra light. I'm not sure what I can provide logs of, or pictures of... you want a screenshot of one diamond in my inventory? I dont have logs from several days ago, and the ones from "now" don't show anything, I've already looked through them. And again, as I said before, the items have been in inventory for several days. I only noticed yesterday that some of the stacks (not just diamonds) have been reduced to a size of 1.

Lets just forget the whole thing, ok? I'll chalk it up to "one of those things" as someone said, and we can all move on.

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
It is definitely an issue that needs to be watched out for, although as it stands right now we are all left scratching our heads trying to work it out.

Perhaps there is a bug somewhere deep in the bowels of AE, perhaps a chunk misbehaved, or perhaps a family member/pet ate the diamonds.

Hopefully it was that last one(for the sake of the mod) but in the event that it wasn't we ought to see someone else report a similar problem.

Also, wtf just happened. Shneeky man.... where's the community support? I am not sure if you intended it as hostile but that post man....

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
From trawling the ae MC forum thread, I found this:
I know you're not on a server, however if the issue with that not saving chunks could suggest that your issue comes from chunks not loading. You mentioned you were moving items from one base to another - was the base that you weren't in fully chunk loaded?

ETA (still trawling thread) - This sounds like it might be similar to your issue:
ETA again - not sure why the spoilers don't work properly - sorry about that, maybe they don't like quotes nested inside!

Yeah, thanks Skirty. That is most likely the issue, actually. I was travelling between the two bases using a portal gun, so it's quite possibly there were some chunk loading issues. The AE equipment was all in one chunk (as was the ender chest), but this seems like the most likely cause nonetheless.

Affex

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, thanks Skirty. That is most likely the issue, actually. I was travelling between the two bases using a portal gun, so it's quite possibly there were some chunk loading issues. The AE equipment was all in one chunk (as was the ender chest), but this seems like the most likely cause nonetheless.
Was the portal itself close to the AE setup? Cause they load a little area around them

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
We've been using AE nonstop and exclusively on AdvancingCraft since pre-ultimate without issues. We've had server crashes and other problems, yet I've seen no evidence of any misbehavior (nor has anyone noticed item lossage). I've got an AE network that has a new trunk line long enough to stretch outside player loading. I was concerned about a crash; but there was none.

So I'd like to see a more repeatable process before I believe AE has bugs. I sort of knew as FTB adopted AE that we'd see a lot of 'zomg my stuff is gone/duped!' posts because of the lack of transparency AE has on these things. But the actual storage mechanisms aren't so crazily different from how minecraft actually does the storage, so I'm unconcerned.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
We've been using AE nonstop and exclusively on AdvancingCraft since pre-ultimate without issues. We've had server crashes and other problems, yet I've seen no evidence of any misbehavior (nor has anyone noticed item lossage). I've got an AE network that has a new trunk line long enough to stretch outside player loading. I was concerned about a crash; but there was none.

So I'd like to see a more repeatable process before I believe AE has bugs. I sort of knew as FTB adopted AE that we'd see a lot of 'zomg my stuff is gone/duped!' posts because of the lack of transparency AE has on these things. But the actual storage mechanisms aren't so crazily different from how minecraft actually does the storage, so I'm unconcerned.

Yeah I hear you. I'm not sure how exactly to reproduce it, but I may end up trying.

I actually have save games going back several days, I'm playing on Linux, and I use rdiff-backup to do incremental backups of my world so I can go backwards in time if need be. Maybe I'll try a few days ago and see if I can get to a point pre-transfer, and try to do all the same things I did again... that, of course, is the difficulty, I don't remember *exactly* what I did over the course of several days.

I strongly suspect some interplay between the portal gun, some unrelated crashes, and chunk loading issues, but where exactly... that's the question.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I just figured that it doesn't really matter. I was more excited about playing about with a new set of toys! If my stuff went missing then I could just change systems again. It's not like I am unable to go find more diamonds and stuff. I wouldn't like dupes either, but I haven't got to building any of the crafting stuff so far, which would appear to be the area where this has happened. Currently I'm using the system to store all my stuff, and to feed my machines using import and export buses. It works really well with the fermenter etc. Loving it so far, which is why I am really hoping this was a one-off issue or related to chunk loading.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
SomeGuy, dakamojo, and Zerodaimaru all claim to have had a problem at some point...

Granted, two of the problems are dupe bugs and one is an disappearing bug, but there could be some bugs hiding in there.

Edit: *I is ninja*

Also mine was at least 3 or 4 versions ago. I wouldn't shy away from this mod at all.

heggico

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have some pictures of your setup? Cause i'm really thinking about chunk loading problems now.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have some pictures of your setup? Cause i'm really thinking about chunk loading problems now.

Sure, but it's so simple, there's not really much to show. The portal from the portal gun is, about 20-30 blocks away on my left. It's actually on the wall of a giant 12x12x12 Xycraft tank.

ss.png

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite is when you tell it to craft like 10 of something and it will craft like 3 and then delete the job out of the que like it never existed. A few times I've had it delete items that were going in the system, after a server restart it was fine.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I have an interesting tidbit to add to the pot. On my server we have three people getting into AE. The first (and primary) system was built with default color lines. A second system was built not far away, yet kept separate, also with default blue lines. The last few days I have noted a decline in the amount of a few items in the system, but just figured it was usage (it is community storage after all). Tonight I was asked by the nearby player why I had been dumping jungle wood into his system. There were no cross connecting lines in the systems that we could find, but it was plain as day that his had been picking up random amounts of anything that had been added or manipulated within the ae crafting terminals. He had wood, stone swords (wither spawner), diamonds, and various ingots that should not have been present.

Anyone else see something like this?

ManaaniWanderer

Jul 29, 2019
With it deleting part of a build order it could seem like it has, but its lacking resources and the order is till there. To check on this pop on a crafting monitor but be aware that adding it will delete the order due the second reason the order might have vanished-any change to the network restarts the controller which will clear out all crafting orders.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Besides telling you to creative in another setup and fill it to the brim with random stuff from the creative menu and observing if the same thing happens again... I will say that regardless if the crash was because of something else you cannot count out the possibility that it could have corrupted the AE code and possibly other things you haven't found out yet. I have no Idea what kind of code is behind AE but I would say that it is entirely possible that since it saves items in "one" stack that the crash could have made AE forget what the amounts of some of the items were.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm at least on my end that I have a somewhat elaborate setup that would be very prone to this bug if I were encountering it... and I'm not.

I think we need more details on what you're actually doing around your AE setup. It's looking more and more like an obscure mod interaction bug.