[AE] 16k vs. 64k Storage

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mean to be mean here but are you stupid. How is robust and constant even remotely the same. You can have any power source that you want me and this other guy simply stated we like to do it after using coal , never said it can't be done using other methods , we simply stated you need a constant power source that is it. You can do it however you would like that's your choice the key is just having a constant power source ..next time try reading what we write instead of putting it In your own words . Good day!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Granted. However I find it more annoying to have to manually sort and process stuff than it is to drop coal into my engines once every so often. 3-4MJ/t, especially if you have a RECell to store the excess and cover the spikes when you're actually processing, is more than enough to get into AE far enough to automate ore processing and storage.

RECell is a good way of making sure you have consistent power, granted, however I generally want my AE network set up -before- my first Nether trip. Which is why I am so excited about Mekanism... it gives you lots of power options which are easily obtainable early to mid game (depending on how many resources you want to throw at it). The only problem with Mekanism Generators is the Steel Frame, at that stage you are probably throwing a bunch of coal and iron at the problem, instead of going the Enriched route which is far more resource efficient, but hey... once you get your basic power setup, you can GET that more efficient method going for your other generators. It also encourages a decentralized power grid by making it relatively easy to set up spot-power-generation. Not often a whole bunch, but you don't need a whole bunch for, say, your MFR Harvesters running your farming plantations.

Reactions: ryanjh5521

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mean to be mean here but are you stupid.

No. For example, I know that questions with question marks.

How is robust and constant even remotely the same.

When it comes to power robust implies constant.

You can have any power source that you want me and this other guy simply stated we like to do it after using coal , never said it can't be done using other methods , we simply stated you need a constant power source that is it.

Actually, you stated the preference for "after coal" after I pointed out that one doesn't need an robust power system. In fact during the course of this discussion I have decided constant is even a falsehood. You only need power when you're interacting with the system. Since that is not a constant state you don't need constant power.

You can do it however you would like that's your choice the key is just having a constant power source ..next time try reading what we write instead of putting it In your own words . Good day!

I did. I even quoted it, twice, where you specifically were projecting your preferences on other people.[DOUBLEPOST=1371106031][/DOUBLEPOST]
RECell is a good way of making sure you have consistent power, granted, however I generally want my AE network set up -before- my first Nether trip.

Curious how you achieve this since AE now requires nether quartz which is obtained, as the name implies, in the Nether. I guess a MFR laser could pop nether quartz out of thin air but given the power requirements of the laser I consider that far after the first nether trip. On the flip side a RECell doesn't require a trip to the nether. In fact it is less expensive than a nether trip since it only requires 4 obsidian instead of 10. Though truth be told I generally do the nether trip first since I'd rather mine 10 obsidian than 14.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Curious how you achieve this since AE now requires nether quartz which is obtained, as the name implies, in the Nether. I guess a MFR laser could pop nether quartz out of thin air but given the power requirements of the laser I consider that far after the first nether trip. On the flip side a RECell doesn't require a trip to the nether. In fact it is less expensive than a nether trip since it only requires 4 obsidian instead of 10. Though truth be told I generally do the nether trip first since I'd rather mine 10 obsidian than 14.

/facepalm

Right. That'll teach me to post while intoxicated. Blargh.

RECell does require a trip to the nether for the nether brick for the Magma Crucible to make Liquid Redstone to fill your RECell with. Unless you have a way of doing that in the Overworld.

I like to set up an automated power system early. Like 'before my second chest fills up' early. Really, before I get any machines built other than maybe a pulverizer/powered furnace combo. It doesn't have to be -much-, but I want it to be able to run itself indefinitely. Which is why I love Mekanism so very much, because it has several interesting ways of doing just that.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Right. That'll teach me to post while intoxicated. Blargh.

Well, given that I made the similar mistake with the RECell... :D

RECell does require a trip to the nether for the nether brick for the Magma Crucible to make Liquid Redstone to fill your RECell with. Unless you have a way of doing that in the Overworld.

Welllllllllll, actually, maybe. But in practice no. I know soul sand can pop out of a sludge boiler, but I forget if netherrack is an option. If not, then, no.

I like to set up an automated power system early. Like 'before my second chest fills up' early. Really, before I get any machines built other than maybe a pulverizer/powered furnace combo. It doesn't have to be -much-, but I want it to be able to run itself indefinitely.

Definitely. We're just slightly different in our build priorities here as I tend to not have a self-sustaining power until after logistics. Mainly a chicken/egg thing. I need logistics to do self-sustaining power, but my logistics need power LP or AE are my preferences with it actually moving more and more to both as they are complimentary. So I go basic power -> logistics -> sustained power.

Which is why I love Mekanism so very much, because it has several interesting ways of doing just that.

Stop that. My world resets are coming faster and faster these days as you (yes, you personally) keep convincing me to actually add more mods to my worlds instead of remove them. I've been meaning to get into UE as I really like the idea behind it, but still prefer MJ as it is so ubiquitous.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Stop that. My world resets are coming faster and faster these days as you (yes, you personally) keep convincing me to actually add more mods to my worlds instead of remove them. I've been meaning to get into UE as I really like the idea behind it, but still prefer MJ as it is so ubiquitous.
The UE energy cubes can output MJ with no conversion necessary...

The only problem is the steel frames. That can get to be a pain until you can use the Enriched method of obtaining steel.

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know where in the world you live but robust means hefty as in a lot. Constant means steady but not a lot necessarily...just something that has a steady flow. So you can actually have both a constant robust system set up. Because one time I had robust but not constant system...which means at times I had no access to my ae system lol.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I always wonder, how do you guys organize your storage cells? do you just dump everything in every cell, or do you make specific drives for specific things?

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to do things differently than most it seems (witness some of this topic) so I have 3 stages of AE.

Stage 1 - Chests! I actually start off with 1k cells in ME Chests. I don't have Iron Chests in my mod list so to get past the double chest stage I have to jump into AE with ME Chests. As a result I end up with ~4 1k Cells stratified based on my normal chest sorting system. Raw/Processed mined mats, Tech mats, raw building mats, world/mob drops.

Stage 2 - Drives! Once I get enough Quartz to really start working with AE I'll create a drive and pop those 1K Cells into the drive. At this point I don't care what goes on which drive. My only concern is that I have at least one green drive (free types) and all my other drives are orange (full types, free space). If I run out of types I'll craft another 1K Cell and drop it into the drive. If I'm running seriously low on space I'll craft a 4K, drop it in, take the red 1K and slap it into an IO Port. I'll also generally pop the 1K Cell out of its casing so I can use it in a 4K later on, thus saving resources.

Stage 3 - Formatting! Once I get close to running my first quarry I'll set up some preformatted drives for building junk (cobble/dirt/sand/gravel), ores/dusts/ingots. These will be 4K to start. Also, this is presuming rev10.n or earlier as in a later revision we're getting formatting based on what is on the drives. Once we get that I'll actually do a lot more formatting earlier on.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
I always wonder, how do you guys organize your storage cells? do you just dump everything in every cell, or do you make specific drives for specific things?
I don't. Periodically (maybe once a week), I'll do a cursory check for anomalies. Things like a 16k with all 63 types, but only using 4 to 5k. If I see something like that, I'll make a 4k, and put that stuff there. Or I'll make a 1k and put a bunch of the low count items (e.g., you're tree breeding and you have so many saplings of different types). But honestly, once you're in the mid-game stage, you're swimming in quartz, gold, and diamonds, and wasted space in a 16k is basically irrelevant.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know where in the world you live but robust means hefty as in a lot.
Actually the definition, according to Merriam-Webster's dictionary and specifically the entry pertaining to objects, means "strongly formed or constructed" and "capable of performing without failure under a wide range of conditions". Going off that definition I could easily see how something that is robust could be considered constant but something that is constant wouldn't necessarily be robust.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/robust

Reactions: Greyed

snooder

Jul 29, 2019

When I first started with AE, i used to organize my storage cells. Then I realized it was a massive waste of time, and now I just dump everything everywhere. Anything that I might want to format a cell for (to get increased storage space) I'll just make a DSU and storage bus for.

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
I use 16k for the first disk, 4k for things like Thaumcraft crystals, Buildcraft stuff, some IC2 stuff. But for cobble, dirt and sand i use MFR deep storage unit's - pretty cheap and can hold about 2 M of one type of item. When i fill one it will be weeks of non stop working f.e 4 quarries.

Also when i will be able to feed 10 mass fabricators with scrap - for every mass fab i connect single MFSU - and will be able to get thousands of UU matter i will start crafting Extra Cells.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1801643-m3gas-extracells-appliedenergistics-add-on/

256k, 1 million, 4 million and 16 million disk - but i counted that you need thousands of quartz crystals for the last one - but i think can hold couple hundred billion items. Also add about 100 diamonds for 16M, glass, advanced processors etc.

But you can forget about lack of space in your storage cluster.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I tend to build DSU's early, so 4k cells are enough to keep me going for quite some time. Since I do have Iron Chests in my mod pack, I don't feel the need to build an ME Chest most of the time. But Dat Crafting Terminal... boo-ya!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
right from the beginning when I started using AE I organized everything, but it's such a pain in the arse that it's actually making me want to avoid the job of organizing everything and just skip AE, then use AE.
I guess I'll just start throwing everything in whatever disc there's available and store the big amount of things in DSU's

but what do you all do with simple things like tools and such? do you still keep a simple chest for that to stop filling the drives with junk?

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
right from the beginning when I started using AE I organized everything, but it's such a pain in the arse that it's actually making me want to avoid the job of organizing everything and just skip AE, then use AE.
I guess I'll just start throwing everything in whatever disc there's available and store the big amount of things in DSU's

but what do you all do with simple things like tools and such? do you still keep a simple chest for that to stop filling the drives with junk?

Why bother? There's plenty of space available. The neat thing about AE is that stuff that doesn't "stack" in a normal inventory will still "stack" in AE as long as the type is the same. So for example, if you have 64 boats, it'll take up 64 different slots in a normal chest. But in AE, it still only counts as a single item slot.

That said, there is one thing that messes up AE that way ... tree breeding. If there's even a slight different in the sapling genome, they'll be considered as completely separate items. I don't have a good fix for that. I ended up just keeping a single stack of each tree and throwing away any hybrids or extra saplings that won't stack.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Trees, bees, crops, anything with highly varying NBT data, that is best left outside of an AE system. It's treacherously easy to waste storage cells with several different copies of an item that have only minor differences.

For similar reasons, items that you only generally want to possess one of at a time are best left outside of the system. It matters less once you've gotten from an ME Chest to an ME Drive (or two), but even though your Wand of the Thaumaturge /can/ stack, chances are pretty good it's not something you'll make in bulk.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
For similar reasons, items that you only generally want to possess one of at a time are best left outside of the system. It matters less once you've gotten from an ME Chest to an ME Drive (or two), but even though your Wand of the Thaumaturge /can/ stack, chances are pretty good it's not something you'll make in bulk.
For items that you only want one or two of, I still put them in AE, simply because I want to be able to use my wireless terminal to access my stuff. To avoid wasting space on those items, you can keep a separate ME chest with a 1k storage cell. Functionally equivalent to a double chest, but with the added benefit of access anywhere you have a wireless signal.

See above.

The problem with a regular chest is that it's only accessible at that location. But an ME chest is still part of the AE network. For example, I don't always keep a shovel in my inventory. So if I'm around my base and need to dig a lot of dirt, I just use my wireless terminal to access the shovel.

You may have to keep an eye on that chest to make sure it doesn't prematurely fill up with bulk items. So you can look at the chest from time to time to make sure that there isn't 800 cobble in there by mistake (because the drive containing cobble filled up, for example). Or you can preformat the cell to prevent that from happening.