[Adventure][Puzzle] The Lost City of Arkos

Versepelles

Jul 29, 2019
5Fz3ck1.png
A Feed The Beast Adventure!
Ultimate v1.1.2 Mod Pack
You awake on an island which appears to be deserted, but there lies an undiscovered truth below! Venture through this peaceful map, solving puzzles along the way, to discover the Lost City of Arkos.
4dtFuIP.jpg
To enhance your experience, it is suggested to not place or break any blocks,
and to set the difficulty to peaceful.
If you find yourself stumped, feel free to post here, or AS A LAST RESORT, enable cheats.
This map features no fighting, parkour, or other skill-based challenges, for it is a journey for the mind.
If you enjoy the map or hate it (or find a bug), please leave some feedback in the comments,
or make a donation to support independent content development!
Enjoy!
4BLroFS.jpg
KGvIkFL.jpg
GzaQaeD.jpg
FoTPW5K.jpg
irh3UpK.jpg
DutcherProductions is recording a Let's Play:
If you enjoyed The Lost city of Arkos, you may like Search for the Skyheart, my newest map. Try it out!

Versepelles

Jul 29, 2019
Finale hints:

There are 3 books in the City of Arkos which illuminate the events that transpired. Find these, understand the tragedy, and you will have discovered all there is to know of Arkos and the city of its people.

Bug fixes:

25 July 2013: Fixed incorrect hint in orange path.
28 July 2013: Uploaded clean version rather than played through version D:

Reactions: Randomguy404

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I finished the map, and I must say, it is beautiful. Your storywriting is magnificent and everything you have built here is amazing. The best part is any exposed redstone you actually played into the aesthetics. It was truly marvelous.

Now for a job offer of sorts. I am a computercraft programmer for the feeding eternal time project, which will be getting a modpack on the launcher soon. The point is, we are in desperate need of lore writers, and from what I've seen, I think you could do it. I strongly urge you to apply here.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Oh, and i'd like to use my nether portal-based review outline on this map really quick:
1. story: 5 The story is great, and the lore is written wonderfully.
2. gameplay: 5 the jetpack is a really nice touch to ensure that you can get anywhere you need, as well as fast minecart rides, book teleports, and really neat puzzles.
3. Difficulty: 4 The map could be a bit more challenging. some of the puzzles are really straightforward.
4. aesthetics: 5 Absolutely beautiful, right up to the end, and all exposed wiring is used to complete the look.
5. quality: 5 All the mechanisms work wonderful, with only a few minor snags.

All in all I would rate this a 13 obsidian portal. Any ugliness is hidden underground, out of sight, with that spark that leaves me going "wow."

Versepelles

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, and i'd like to use my nether portal-based review outline on this map really quick:
1. story: 5 The story is great, and the lore is written wonderfully.
2. gameplay: 5 the jetpack is a really nice touch to ensure that you can get anywhere you need, as well as fast minecart rides, book teleports, and really neat puzzles.
3. Difficulty: 4 The map could be a bit more challenging. some of the puzzles are really straightforward.
4. aesthetics: 5 Absolutely beautiful, right up to the end, and all exposed wiring is used to complete the look.
5. quality: 5 All the mechanisms work wonderful, with only a few minor snags.

All in all I would rate this a 13 obsidian portal. Any ugliness is hidden underground, out of sight, with that spark that leaves me going "wow."

Thanks for the feedback. I actually made this map as something fun for my girlfriend, who honestly isn't very good at minecraft, so it was meant to be very accessible. Glad you enjoyed it!

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Thanks for the feedback. I actually made this map as something fun for my girlfriend, who honestly isn't very good at minecraft, so it was meant to be very accessible. Glad you enjoyed it!
Thinking about it, it was more of an interactive story with puzzles. I'm one of the people who really care about story. Like if a game has a crappy story, I probably won't like it very much. Lore is important, and the lore you wrote is great. I'm following you and looking forward to more maps from you.

Also, learn LUA. It will help a bunch for redstone logic in 1.5/6.

Owenzoe

Jul 29, 2019
okay i am stuck i dont know where to go and i found a crystal chest with nothing in it

Versepelles

Jul 29, 2019
okay i am stuck i dont know where to go and i found a crystal chest with nothing in it

Hey Owenzoe,

If you could provide more information about where you are in the journey (in a spoiler!), this could be helpful.

If you have just begun the journey and have traveled south to the temple by the lake, I suggest heading back north to the cottage by the Mysterious Portal where you first found yourself.
Otherwise, I don't know of any empty crystal chests.

Good luck!

Seph

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Versepelles,

Quick question:
I've been playing your map for a couples hours now, and I'm getting the feeling that I am playing the wrong version or something. As soon as I start, my inventory is full of written books and I think most of these puzzles are already solved. Is it meant to be like that?

Gotta say though, style and story is excellent. Do I sense a little bit Myst games influencing your writing and design? =P

Versepelles

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Versepelles,

Quick question:
I've been playing your map for a couples hours now, and I'm getting the feeling that I am playing the wrong version or something. As soon as I start, my inventory is full of written books and I think most of these puzzles are already solved. Is it meant to be like that?

Gotta say though, style and story is excellent. Do I sense a little bit Myst games influencing your writing and design? =P

Thanks for the warning! It looks like I am completely inept at mediafire. I just uploaded a clean version over the played through one, so if you are still interested, try that one out. Or let me know if it is still screwed up.

Owenzoe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the warning! It looks like I am completely inept at mediafire. I just uploaded a clean version over the played through one, so if you are still interested, try that one out. Or let me know if it is still screwed up.
Maybe that is why the chest were empty

laton95

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to be doing quite well, but I still cannot find out how to change the destination of the cart transport.

derrickspartan1

Jul 29, 2019
Ive gotta admit i played throught this and it was really really fun :) the puzzles are challenging but not too challenging i enjoyed it! keep up the good work

Randomguy404

Jul 29, 2019
This is my very favourite minecraft map! Loved it!!! Only problem is the difficulty. I did it in half an hour.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I've never played an adventure map...but when I get home, I'm going to be downloading this one, and looking forward to the teaser you just posted...looking forward to it, looks like it's going to be fun...

and now just seeing this thread makes me want to create my own...might have to start working on that soon :)

Reactions: Randomguy404