Advanced Pump (Gregtech)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

d1ng0d0g

Jul 29, 2019
Playing around with Ultimate and I came across the advanced pump, when I was looking for alternate ways to get the tanks filled with lava for a lot of purposes (not just power).

Anyways, the pump is quite fast. But it takes mining pipes to operate. Liquiducts connect to the side. Cells work too.

I haven't tested any other methods.

But then I depleted my source of lava and wondered how to get the mining pipes back (beyond the obvious, going down and digging)

Is that an option that was forgotten, or am I doing something wrong there ? Does anyone know, more than I figured out ?

Edit 1: It's a pretty awesome pump that pumps over a huge distance, although it seems to ignore (some) barriers (did a small test in the nether and surrounded the machine with pillars of sand, which didn't stop it from pumping more. This might be because I missed something or my test is just wrong.)

Edit 2: Placing the advanced pump next to a mining well does not seem to do anything.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
The miner uses those pipes, when you remove the drill from it, the pipes start retracting automatically into the chest you have near the miner. If you remove the pipes in the miner inventory and replace them with dirt/stone etc it will place those in the hole as it brings up the pipes.

I would try removing the pipes and placing some other material in there like dirt or cobble to see if it works the same way.

d1ng0d0g

Jul 29, 2019
The miner uses those pipes, when you remove the drill from it, the pipes start retracting automatically into the chest you have near the miner. If you remove the pipes in the miner inventory and replace them with dirt/stone etc it will place those in the hole as it brings up the pipes.

I would try removing the pipes and placing some other material in there like dirt or cobble to see if it works the same way.

Right, but the Advanced Pump (remember, greg-tech) doesn't need the drill. At least not to operate on it's own.

I have placed cobble and dirt to try the automatic retraction, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Will test for a bit with a miner placed next to it and report back.

d1ng0d0g

Jul 29, 2019
I have been testing the advanced pump. And these are my findings. Although I did only test on lava so far.

• The Advanced Pump takes mining pipes, but does not have the capacity to dig itself.
  • It really sucks. And that I mean in a good way. It empties any pool of connected lava blocks completely and does so at a reasonable speed (if fully powered).
  • Liquiducts work on each of the four sides.
  • Buildcraft Pipes work a bit wonky.
    • The top side is the input and output of the slot for mining pipes.
    • The east side is the input/output side for the slot labeled output.
    • The south side is the input/output side for the slot labelled input.
    • (Admittedly: I haven't tested input for the other sides, but I can confirm it does not do output through buildcraft pipes)

Note: I think it does not retract the mining pipes in any way.

Tested with:
  • Filler blocks in output and mining pipe slot.
  • Redstone signals.
  • Touching bedrock level.
  • Removing remaining mining pipes.

My own opinion on this device.

It takes a lot of power to operate. It's not the cheapest machine around. But it's fast and affects a really large area (I think it's a 128x128 block, but that's not confirmed). And it doesn't retract the mining pipes.

If it wasn't for that last part, I would have liked the machine a bit more. And I can definitely see some uses for it.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
It very useful to pump oil that's surrounded by water, or if you want to empty nearby ocean..

X5-452

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason I can't get the advanced pump to pump any liquid. I know it has power because it lowers the mining pipe but doesn't do anything after that. I have liquiducts connected to the side outputting to a tank. Can someone post a picture of their setup so I can see what I'm doing wrong?

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
You need to pull the liquid out of the advanced pump (lever+wrench the liquiduct).

X5-452

Jul 29, 2019
You need to pull the liquid out of the advanced pump (lever+wrench the liquiduct).
I already used a wrench on the liquiduct to make sure the arrow is pointing to the tank. So I would just need a lever in front of the liquiduct?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech is one of the worst documented mod in regards to enduser-level documentation. Please tell us if you get it working. Thanks!

I'd give that reward to RP actually, but both of the mods need to learn about this brand new UI concept called tooltips.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
The most important fact about the Adv Pump is that it doesn't leave behind those pesky flowing lava blocks which lag both your client and server.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I'd give that reward to RP actually, but both of the mods need to learn about this brand new UI concept called tooltips.

You'll be surprised with the extreme amount tooltips in the recent version of GregTech.. ;)

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
It always annoys me with the MFSU that I can't check what the redstone setting is unless I change it and cycle all the way around the options. Same with Mining Laser, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell what setting it is on.
The safest thing to do is assume it is set to "Destroy all my possessions" mode. That's what mine always seems to be set at...

Reactions: Jerome Asich

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
It always annoys me with the MFSU that I can't check what the redstone setting is unless I change it and cycle all the way around the options. Same with Mining Laser, there doesn't seem to be a way to tell what setting it is on.

Neither of those are even GT, both base IC2

Traegor

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't an ideal solution, but you can remove the advanced pump and put an IC2 miner to get the mining pipes back. Just make sure you switch to low voltage.