Advanced diamond drill: fortune III or silk touch?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What enchant gets the most out of mining?

• Total voters

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
I find efficiency 5 to sometimes be more of a hindrance when I'm trying to do precision things like gathering an ore vein. I have efficiency 5 on my fortune drill and that thing is pretty much a jackhammer.

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer fortune, but that's because I'm mostly looking for Thaumcraft shards currently. They can't be silk touched

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I find efficiency 5 to sometimes be more of a hindrance when I'm trying to do precision things like gathering an ore vein. I have efficiency 5 on my fortune drill and that thing is pretty much a jackhammer.

I usually do eff 2 or 3. More is too much.

Randomly killing your machines when trying to dig a single block = not fun.

Linda

Jul 29, 2019
I think I read Greg's removed the enchantability of his tools in the newest update (3.07g). Doesn't concern you in 1.4.7. tho ofc :p

Reactions: SonOfABirch

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I think I read Greg's removed the enchantability of his tools in the newest update (3.07g). Doesn't concern you in 1.4.7. tho ofc :p

It's interesting how Tinker's Construct seems cool but everyone wants to remove enchantability from tools. Even though TiC lets you blow the doors off nearly every other tool mod out there, and it's only getting moreso with the heavy tools.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Of course we're talking about abusing that bug. The drills aren't really worth discussing otherwise; there are plenty of other tools that outclass them if you don't use it. Diamond pickaxes, for example.

atheneftw

Jul 29, 2019
Of course we're talking about abusing that bug. The drills aren't really worth discussing otherwise; there are plenty of other tools that outclass them if you don't use it. Diamond pickaxes, for example.
Idd, tbh im not the "i exploit lolz" type of guy, if ic2 or gregtech added a way to re-add the effects of enchants thru some kind of upgrade machine i would still do em, i like to have my tools as fast as possible no matter what.
but removing the enchants without adding anything else to compensate? lame.

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
the only two blocks you would get more from with silk touch than fortune 3 are industrialcraft uranium and gregtech iridium, as they seem to cut the value in half(as in, you have to get what would be a 4 drop to get two actual items from one block with fortune) while macerating the silk touched block always gives two.

at least, that's how it worked last time i tried it, no clue if the mechanics have changed since then.

atheneftw

Jul 29, 2019
Well for sure silk touch is the best enchant if you have a nuclear reactor, since you get thorium from coal ore

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
It's because technology is not magic. None of the technological upgrades are meant to enchant. It only shows how easy enchanting has gotten that you think of yourself as trying to get better then an enchanted diamond pick, instead of thinking how this is better then most picks you'd ever get.
Enchantments are pretty much a pre-requisite for mods such as IC2 and GregTech. The majority of the ore processing machines rely on you getting ore blocks, which, for a lot of materials, requires silk touch if you want any benefit. If you're going to dig by hand without silk touch, then the only other way to get comparable output is with fortune.

When you consider the existence of rock cutters and jackhammers (and this is putting aside the vast array of options other mods give us), this leaves no place for an unenchanted drill. This is compounded by the fact that the advanced variant is far from cheap (I can't actually think of any hand-held tool that's more expensive other then the vajra, however you spell it).

Whether or not the relevant enchantment books are "easy" to get is a whole other debate, the answer to which depends on what you call "easy". If you're basing it on time spent, then no, they're not "easy" to get by any stretch of the imagination.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
definitely fortuneIII. I have found that silk touch can get very annoying and you want another pickax without it.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
My argument is that an unenchanted drill is pointless. How does the existence of the rock cutter bring any point to unenchanted drills?

It seems your point is that using the drills in a way that wasn't intended is "bad". My position is that using them "as intended" nerfs them out of the game, and that's bad.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just going to completely ignore those options and say: MPS Power Gauntlet.
Have fun!

Quick silk touch tha..
No, no silk touch on Powertool.

Quick fortune tho...
No, no fortune on Powertool.

But I thought the point of the Powertool was to create room in your hot bar by replacing all these tools - yet I still need a separate pick for both fortune AND silk touch, due to then producing such overtly better results!
No. You wanna be technological? Then you get shut outputs from these things.

Butbutbut...
Fine.
Here's a rockcutter - it can mine anything with silk touch.

But this thing is slower than a stone pick!!!
I don't care. Enchant it then.

You made it so I can't D:

Then use an enchanted regular pick.

But I'm an industrial guy...

I. Don't. Care.

And that is why we still use diamond picks enchanted.

Or even better, electric Tinkers construct tools with stonebound on 10 durability...

A mining drill?
The only reason anyone makes one anymore is as a recipe for the quarry.
That's pretty much it.

Smiletactician

Jul 29, 2019
ok, lets see. i'm 1.5.2 now but in 1.4.7 i enchanted my diamond drill to FortuneIII and efficiencyV, however, i still ender pouched a diamond pickaxe with efficiencyV and silk touch (this was GT). from the NEI i could see that there were only a few ores worth the bother of ming with silk touch (mainly uranium, initially redstone and lapis. diamond with silk touch early game meant i could fortune them later on) and therefore it wasn't something i would require all the time. the problem being, beside the drill one touch killing machines, was that it was somewhat over powered. when i wanted gravel (i know, who wants gravel) to change into other stuff the drill would auto flint. not to much of a bother obviously but occasionally annoying have to to build and carry another tool just for the purpose.

if GT is or has removed the fortune ability then that sucks as none o fhis tools have fortune. and as mentioned i don't really have a much use for silk touch. therefore he should have a upgrade to "diamond drill > fortune or another option for the rock cutter > either/or silk touch/fortune possibility. not tha i'm bothered about these cause until recently the drill covered all the base as far as digging was concerned. now i run into another problem with concerns to the drill. it would seem that i have no means to mine what simple stuff like "gravel ore", "heat sand" and many of the new block/ore in 1.5.2 with a diamond drill. its not like trolling it with your hand, more like having no hands what so ever. so, if anyone has the answer to how to get a nice tool for this. let me know.

edit note: i carried a diamond pickaxe to mine the ardite in the nether. it didn't work either. i'm slightly confused at how to mine the new ores. gravel ore just means i have to carry another tool about if i want to mine it.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
edit note: i carried a diamond pickaxe to mine the ardite in the nether. it didn't work either. i'm slightly confused at how to mine the new ores. gravel ore just means i have to carry another tool about if i want to mine it.

You need a pickaxe with a mining level of 4 for both ardite and cobalt - alumite and I believe steel both fit this criteria (I could be wrong about steel, I've always just used alumite)

Smiletactician

Jul 29, 2019
You need a pickaxe with a mining level of 4 for both ardite and cobalt - alumite and I believe steel both fit this criteria (I could be wrong about steel, I've always just used alumite)

ok, cool i shall try that. i like the angle of the tinkers stuff. here's the confusing part, iron pick = mines gravel ore diamond drill = not at all. i would prefer the GT version if was able renew its former glory. i finding carry a metric shit of gear a little ridiculous. putting the drill into a correct linage with higher tier was on the money in 1.4.7. hopefully some of the tinkers stuff will rub off on other mod debs.