Adding Mekanism to Monster - No Osmium in Retro OR New WorldGen

AnttiV

Jul 29, 2019
Hi.

I run a SMALL server (LAN, usually max 2 players, SOMETIMES 3) with Monster 1.1.1 and we have added a couple of mods to that. Everything (else) seems to be working well, and has for the last couple of months (since Monster was "released" as beta). But just yesterday I tried adding Mekanism. Although everything works (no ID conflicts, recipes work, NEI sees stuff and everything can be spawned in-world), there is NO osmium in the world. Not in new chunks, not in old chunks. Well, old chunks obviously need RetroGen, so I tried switching that on from the cofh\worldgen configs. Although Retrogen worked (I saw more iron in places I KNOW I've mined EVERYTHING), no osmium.

Googled around, checked a few posts here (this: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/retrogen-with-cofh-and-mekanism.45137/#post-660330 and this: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/thermal-expansion-ore-config-question.4527/ namely.) But as nothing works (adding it to cofh configs in the actual config file and/or in the custom txt file, enabling/disabling it in the mekanism configs, etc. No matter of how many "do as this guide says" things I do, I can't get oreOsmium to spawn in-world. Seeing as these guides and posts are that old (two years, most are for 1.4.x), I figure something has changed (drastically?) in-between and that 1.6.4 now needs something else for it to work?

What SHOULD I do to get Monster + Mekanism to spawn osmium ore correctly?

ps. I've been using a creative-spawned DigitalMiner (configured with "oreOsmium" oredict filter) to check the presence of any osmium ore. I think this should work (at least it finds everything else), and I shouldn't need to manually mine to see if there is any osmium?

Also I've been using Mystcraft to spawn new chunks, not flown around in overworld, but I think osmium should also spawn in Mystcraft ages?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The config file provided in FTB packs for Mekanism has Osmium disabled by default. Enabling it should be all it takes for it to begin generating. That's all I did in my Monster world to make it gen at least.

AnttiV

Jul 29, 2019
you mean the Monster\minecraft\config\Mekanism.cfg? As you may note, I wrote "enabling/disabling it in the mekanism configs", meaning I tried that also, with no luck :( Also, it should not matter, as cofh WorldGen SHOULD override that and use the cofh configs to generate world. Alas, those do not work for me either, or then I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT:

My WorldCustomGen.txt has a line:
UNIFORM oreOsmium 2450 0 6 6 4 20 true

My CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg has:
####################
# oreosmium
####################

oreosmium {
I:ClusterSize=8
I:MaxY=48
I:MinY=5
I:NumClusters=3
B:RetroGen=true
}

My Mekanism.cfg has these lines:
I:OsmiumGenerationAmount=12
B:OsmiumGenerationEnabled=true
(and I've tried between true/false on that last line, which apparently does nothing)

(these values were taken from a suggestion from this forum, I'm not sure those are the values I should use for balanced ore generation)

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
In your cofh folder there should be a text doc titled worldcustomgen, thats the file you should edit, not the one youve been working with. I added the lines:

Code:
UNIFORM   oreOsmium1   3570   0   4   4   24   52   true
UNIFORM   oreOsmium1   3570   0   4   4   12   22   true

The 3570 is the block id. It will fill in the info in the cofhWorldGen.cfg for you.

Reactions: AnttiV

AnttiV

Jul 29, 2019
There's your problem. Configs are kinda picky about stuff like caps. Especially the ore dictionary. Try oreOsmium instead.
Really, also in that file (CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg)? I know stuff is finicky with case (my hobbies include programming...), but everything else in that file is also in lowercase, although the same ores are in mixed case in other files. For example there are "oresilverte1" and "orecoalvan4", but other files list these as "oreSilverte1" and "oreCoalVan4".

But, I'll try that. I'll try everything at this time. Although the RetroGen takes AGES :p[DOUBLEPOST=1406063600][/DOUBLEPOST]
In your cofh folder there should be a text doc titled worldcustomgen, thats the file you should edit, not the one youve been working with. I added the lines:

Code:
UNIFORM   oreOsmium1   3570   0   4   4   24   52   true
UNIFORM   oreOsmium1   3570   0   4   4   12   22   true

The 3570 is the block id. It will fill in the info in the cofhWorldGen.cfg for you.

As you may notice, I already said that earlier:
My WorldCustomGen.txt has a line:
UNIFORM oreOsmium 2450 0 6 6 4 20 true
(in my case the BlockId is 2450, at least according to Mekanism.cfg and NEI.)

But, interestingly you have two lines and named both "oreOsmium1", and not just "oreOsmium".. is this something that DOES matter?
ps. Entering that line in my WorldCustomGen.txt (and then starting and quitting the server) did NOT add that info automatically to the other config file. Is this something that might be the problem, as in, it SHOULD have updated that config automatically, eh?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
You probably should delete your CoFHWorld-Generation.cfg so it can regenerate. Trust me, I know for a fact this works. Also not sure why the monster pack has multiple lines for certain ores, it adds them at different levels. But i went ahead and copied that.

And I just noticed both of them are named oreOsmium1. My bad. Change the second one to 2.

Reactions: AnttiV

AnttiV

Jul 29, 2019
Adding that "1" to the end of "oreOsmium" seems to be the key here. After that it automatically updated the other config file. I still deleted that and let it regen, changed Retrogen to "true" and started the server. It'll take a sweet time, but I try to remember to let you know afterwards if that helped. Thanks for your time anyway, appreciated!

Reactions: epidemia78