About difficulty/tedium and the terms we use (GT and similar)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Or terrafirmacraft could be an extreme example of a very long tech time without being (or at least without me finding it) tedious. Though it of course depends on what you find tedious!

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization? Tinker's Construct?

I dunno if I'd call Factorization's tech tree un-tedious. The metric crap-tons of lead you need to complete the tech tree can be pretty tedious to get if you're not a fan of mining. :/

Tinker's Construct's progression is pretty fun. I rather enjoyed the progression of working my way up to Manyullyn tools. Although, the recent change to require the smeltery for iron tools kinda threw off my progression a bit and led to me carrying a TiC stone pick and a Vanilla Iron pick on mining trips for a while. o_O

Reactions: Flipz and Whovian

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno if I'd call Factorization's tech tree un-tedious. The metric crap-tons of lead you need to complete the tech tree can be pretty tedious to get if you're not a fan of mining. :/

Tinker's Construct's progression is pretty fun. I rather enjoyed the progression of working my way up to Manyullyn tools. Although, the recent change to require the smeltery for iron tools kinda threw off my progression a bit and led to me carrying a TiC stone pick and a Vanilla Iron pick on mining trips for a while. o_O

I liked that change. Once you make a tool, you have it forever and it's easy to repair. But making a new tool? A big deal. Lots of ceremony.

Norren

Jul 29, 2019
What would be an example of a mod that has a long tech time, but isn't tedious?

It's a bit of heresy, but that's actually how I'd describe Better than Wolves. (at least, back when I played it, right before FC went "hardcore all teh thingz" meme on it.) Each "tier" begins by gaining the ability to automate everything you had to do by hand for the tier's gateway condition as a virtual requirement before you can try for the next tier, and the tiers are usually gated by player learning more than actual resources, as 100% of the resources are renewable. (Admittedly some resources require mob drop farms.)

Once you understand how each tier works, if you were to start up a new world you could progress frighteningly fast aside from some RNG dependent start-up costs. (dry-spell random drop mechanics involving the chance of getting Hemp seeds from tall grass and possibly running 1500 blocks to find two wolves for the sole purpose of smearing their poo on cowhide.)

Mentions BTW;DR: the solution to tedium seems to be "Easy when you know how", using the beginnings of tedium to encourage you to learn better ways to do something that's beginning to feel tedious.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
That stands in massive contrast to GregTech; even if you understand every principle of Gregtech and min/max the hell out of your gameplay, you're still going to spend at LEAST a week of nonstop grinding to get through the tech tree. It isn't knowledge or immersion gated; you are only slowed down by the massive resource requirement.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
playing with gt reminds me this:
crab-amputates-own-limb.gif