Abdiel's Inventorium - technical streams!

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
BuGUERT.png

Hello everybody, and welcome to my new stream's thread!

My name is Abdiel, I have been playing Minecraft since early alpha, and with tech mods for over a year. I would classify my playstyle as "inventor": I love experimenting with machinery and coming up with new and complicated designs to achieve something that is otherwise probably really simple. I enjoy watching technical streams of people like Etho or direwolf20, and I always wanted to find more of them. If, like me, you are looking for technically-oriented videos full of new inventions and crazy contraptions, keep reading!

I want to make my stream somewhat unique. Instead of a daily "do whatever" streams, I will be much more focused on selected topics. I will stream once, maybe twice a week. For every stream, I will pick a specific topic or a creation to make. I will then, on camera, go through the thought process from the invention itself, to creating, testing, and improving a design, to putting it all together and final touches. You will often see other people only showcase a finished product, or show you a few steps on the way. Others will spend hours messing around trying to figure out what exactly they want to do. My stream shall be neither: I will have a clear idea in mind, and you can watch me follow that idea in the space of 2-3 hours to completion. Therefore it will be a cross between a tutorial and a let's play series.

Far too often you will see people on youtube or twitch run the same well-traveled path: TE machines, solar panels, lava pumps, tree farms, and so on. I despise any of the plain old boring methods. I mean, I can put down a solar panel too. Where's the fun in that? How about a self-controlled nuclear reactor serviced by golems and monitored by a computer, that can send me an e-mail when it runs out of fuel? That's the kind of projects you can look forward to in my stream. We will experiment with many of the technical mods that are not so commonly showcased, such as GregTech, Traincraft, Thaumcraft, Redpower, Railcraft, and many more.

The stream will run on Wednesdays and Fridays at 18:00 GMT. The timing may later shift due to mine and viewers' preferences, but expect it to be in the evenings GMT. Streams will run for between 1 and 3 hours, depending on how much there is to show. Videos from the stream will be archived on twitch, so if the time is not right for you, you can watch them later.

New: After every stream, I will do a short, 5-10 minute highlight of the contraption we built. It won't be a step by step tutorial, but I'll explain all the functional parts of the device so that you can build it yourself. This means that if you just want to see the final result without having to watch the entire stream, you can just check out the highlights! You can find the highlights here.

I'd greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions for future builds in this thread. I have several builds planned for the future already, but if you want me to do or explain something specific, I will gladly do it. Even just a simple "I watched the stream and it was great!" helps me see what people like.

The stream's page is http://www.twitch.tv/abdiel_plays

Archive

Episode 1 - Picking Flowers: Full stream - Highlight
Episode 2 - Clay Power: Full stream - Highlight
Episode 0.3 - Maze Trap part 1 - Full stream
Episode 3 - Maze Slime Maze Trap - Full stream - Highlight
Episode 4 - Golems, Boilers, and Bees part 1: Boiler automation - Full stream

Unless stated otherwise, every stream begins at 18:00 GMT (click to convert to your timezone).

Reactions: Qwertz and AztecDJ

AztecDJ

Jul 29, 2019
You know? I rather like this concept. While I haven't watched terribly much of the YouTube content (seen most of Direwolf's more recent stuff and several of Etho's videos. I do enjoy Dire's stuff and also have mad respect for Etho, though from what I have seen he sometimes tends to make stuff overly complicated just for the sake of being complicated. ) Anyway, I seem to be rambling... What I'm getting at is I look forward to checking out your stream. Sounds like you've got a cool plan and I look forward to seeing the execution. Cheers and good luck my friend.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to everyone who showed up for the first stream, if you liked it, the best way to support me right now is to tell your friends!

The entire recording is available here. If you want to just see the finished product, you can watch the highlight here.

Announcement: There will be no stream this Friday (29th). I will be at home celebrating Easter with my family. The stream will resume next Wednesday, March 3rd. We will attempt to build EU generation with GregTech.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 2: Clay Power is now available in the archive.

Announcement: Starting next week (that is, Wednesday the 10th) the stream will be starting at 1800 GMT due to summer time. As always you can use the link in the first post to convert to your time zone (summer time included if your country uses it).

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 0.3 (I'm not even giving this an official number) is in my opinion a very weak one. I explain the concept behind a mob trap in the Twilight Forest and we do some testing of the TF mobs spawning behavior. After that the video is me building a mob trap, which you probably don't want to watch. So feel free to stop watching after the first hour or so. We will finish the killing/collection/processing mechanism next Friday.

If you want a better video about mob traps, check out Etho here: youtube link. My build is a variation of that design.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize, but I have to cancel today's (Wed 10th) stream. I am having big problems connecting to the FTB server I play on, and I can't stay connected for more than 2-3 minutes at a time. The stream will (hopefully) resume on Friday.

Yes, I've tried restarting my router and all those common solutions. The problem is somewhere on the route between me and the server host.

TheCyberTronn

Jul 29, 2019
I've followed and I hope I can catch the stream in time! (*Thinks* 6PM Friday. Doesn't clash with Doctor Who. *Wipes Brow* Phew!)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the support. :)

Episode 3 - Maze Slime Maze Trap is now available in the archives.

Next week we will build a boiler system to power a bee product auto-processing factory. As usual, don't expect any traditional treefarm designs - I have something special planned!

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 4 is now available in the archives.

We have automated a fuel production system for a boiler using wheat as the only input resource.

On Friday we are going to finish the whole system by adding an automated bee production line to get honey, other bee products, and craft a few useful items.