A Warning Regarding Ultimate

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, we are all waiting for ultimate, and this isn't a complaint or question thread, the team can and should take as long as they want putting together a great pack; this isn't addressed to the team, this is to the players.

Many people have said, and plenty have even acted on the notion that Mindcrack is the same as ultimate, at least as world gen is concerned, and to the best of my knowledge, that is false.

You see, the mod makers never provided a list of what mods will be included in ultimate, but they have shown intrest with a couple mods that aren't in Mindcrack. First and foremost Ars Magika. The huge amount of world gen in that mod would mean that if it is included in ultimate, Mindcrack worlds won't be fully compatible. Heck, even the new version of mystcraft will have at least some new world gen in the form of villagers. But even if Ars Magika doesn't make the cut, who knows what other mods they might be planning?

Many have complained that since all the mods are out, ultimate should be done; which is sound logic, if all the mods were really out. The fact that there is still no ETA on ultimate despite all the known mods being updated (except for mystcraft), means, at least for me, that new mods are coming, and we have no way of knowing what they are.

TL;DR: Ultimate will most likely contain mods that we don't expect and could have new world gen, meaning that Mindcrack (and DW20) worlds might be incompatible. No guarantees either way, so don't get your hopes up.

delicateglow

Jul 29, 2019
Solution: Mystcraft
Tada~
If you're on a low budget server, just make 1 other world and recipe remove all the Mystcraft Items.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack and DW20 won't be incompatible. By definition, they are subsets of ultimate.

Yes, if there is any new WorldGen, you will lose it, yes. I will be the first to say -- with how intrusive Ars Magicka is -- I do not want it. It changes vanilla minecraft waaaay too much.

Every modpack in FTB.... if you don't want to play it, you can ignore it (aside from needing to change the ridiculous GregTech nerfing other mods). But Ars Magicka is so world-intrusive you can't ignore it. I don't see how it makes it into Ultimate. Magic Pack... maybe.

Even if it does make it.... I would disable it.

Ars Magicka would be fine if they put all the stuff in a new world like Twilight Forest.... then problem solved.

If anything gen'ing a new world now is better, since it won't have the Ars Magicka stuff. Then I can just gen a Mystcraft world if I want it.

Anyhow, I'm sick of waiting. MindCrack - GT Nerf + Mystcraft = Ultimate in my mind.

Reactions: Dravarden

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Formate the world and start over.

Problem solved.

If you want to make sure your world will not break with Ultimate wait for Ultimate before you start your world.

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of sever specs are going to be needed to run Mystcraft in Ultimate with just 5 people max.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
IIRC, Logistics Pipes was originally supposed to be in the FTB pack, perhaps they are waiting for LP2 to come out? I'm curious and excited to see what Krapht has up his sleeve this time!

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
soon%20%281%29.jpg

SphinX

Jul 29, 2019
I think soon as in, as long as it takes to write nearly an entire new mod, with all new mechanics. So, more of a RP2 soon.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You see, the mod makers never provided a list of what mods will be included in ultimate, but they have shown intrest with a couple mods that aren't in Mindcrack. First and foremost Ars Magika. The huge amount of world gen in that mod would mean that if it is included in ultimate, Mindcrack worlds won't be fully compatible. Heck, even the new version of mystcraft will have at least some new world gen in the form of villagers. But even if Ars Magika doesn't make the cut, who knows what other mods they might be planning?

Mystcraft is an obvious solution, a less obvious one is regenerating chunks without building in them - this is trivial on a single player game.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
All you'll be missing in mystcraft is the ability to buy symbols from village NPCs in already generated chunks. You can still get symbols by exploring ages, you can generate ages with villages, and I think you'll probably keep any symbols you've already unlocked in the old version?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft solves any worldgen problem. In fact, they originally stated that was the solution for adding RP2 worldgen to the beta pack. If you don't want to cheat in an age for it, remember villagers breed, so you could even do it legit. OP is correct, however, that there may be mods we're not expecting in Ultimate. Off the top of my head, I think we're still waiting for Mystcraft, Ars Magica, Xycraft, Logistics Pipes and Reliquary. There may well be others.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
MindCrack is pretty much Ultimate for me. The mods I add to it are mostly things to make BC pipes more usable, so I don't really see how it can get much better. The only other pack I look forward to is the Tech pack, assuming that'll basically be Ultimate minus all the magic-y mods. But I think MindCrack already goes a long way in that direction, probably with the exception of a few mods.

Also, with the way this is going I wouldn't be surprised if the Ultimate pack comes with the next official release of MC (whatever will come after 1.4.7). Or that there is a high chance we'll be stuck in 1.4.7 for a long time while everyone else is enjoying the redstone update...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Given that Mindcrack has more world-gen mods in it, as a general rule of thumb mindcrack worlds will fare better than their Direpack cousins.

This is also why I only explore in 1 or 2 cardinal directions; gives me local fresh gen should I transfer my world over.
Worked quite well dropping my Beta world into direpack, got a volcano and marble node within 200 blocks of home...

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with all the posts about mystcraft, but keep in mind that you need at least a fresh village to get symbols, and its been said that isn't the only way so who knows what else is being added.

Also the people still saying that 'MindCrack is pretty much Ultimate' or dissing Ars Magika are missing the point. We don't know what is gonna be in ultimate, it could be something strait out of left field that is really cool but we didn't see coming. As the original post said don't get your hopes up