A question about energy storage/ mekanism

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's a good thing I checked in a test world first... It seems the other bonus of the universal bale is it acts like a transformer so by using it you can avoid having IC2 machines go boom. For now I'll use those until I get some actual transformers though since it seems a bit too easy :X

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The cable is really good, but watch out. The way it works means that in practice it cannot move power around in very large networks.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, that's why I'm only using it temporarily in place of transformers. I plan on using mostly conduits for the machines I can once I get to em. Having my vertical shaft go through 3 caves, an abandoned mine, and ending next to two lava pools kinda makes expanding my mine take a bit longer though :O

Edit: Just bumrushed a purifier to triple the over a stack of osmium ore I've had laying around and then made an enriching factory to help with it (using a pulverizer instead of a crusher). Had to turn off the mekanism sounds after that :X

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I took your guy's suggestions and setup three electrolytic separator + hydrogen generator combos. The electrolytic separators are fed water via aqueous accumulators in the floor and energy by two heat gens each. I'm glad I found a use for my heat gens and now I've got loads of power for my ore processing and basic AE system.
Yup, that's why I'm only using it temporarily in place of transformers. I plan on using mostly conduits for the machines I can once I get to em. Having my vertical shaft go through 3 caves, an abandoned mine, and ending next to two lava pools kinda makes expanding my mine take a bit longer though :O

Edit: Just bumrushed a purifier to triple the over a stack of osmium ore I've had laying around and then made an enriching factory to help with it (using a pulverizer instead of a crusher). Had to turn off the mekanism sounds after that :X
I love those sounds! But I do have to admit I had to turn my sound down to 10% after I setup my hydrogen gens.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I like the sounds of the machines but they're way too loud, especially when you're playing at night with people sleeping :p

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I like the sounds of the machines but they're way too loud, especially when you're playing at night with people sleeping :p

I turned them off because they can cause framerate issues. I'd recommend you do the same for the sake of your sanity.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Um wow, just messed around a bit with the reactor turbines and o_O. Each large reactor turbine can outproduce 18 industrial steam engines in power, but a single boiler can easily supply the steam for 9 of them. That's makes them overwhelmingly efficient in power production since they require less space and fuel for much more power -_-

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds suspiciously like an exploit to me. Excuse me while I go abuse it.

Azreih

Jul 29, 2019
I"m a complete noob to UE and Mekanism. I have setup one fussion reactor/turbine power station. How do you use a boiler to power the turbine??

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I"m a complete noob to UE and Mekanism. I have setup one fussion reactor/turbine power station. How do you use a boiler to power the turbine??

That's a Railcraft boiler, not a nuclear boiler. The turbines can run on steam no matter where it comes from.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Connect the liquiduct to the bottom of the turbine. Steam going through liquiducts (and probably any other liquid carrying pipe) can be connected to turbines to make em spin. The output of a RC boiler going into Atomic Science turbines really shows power production imbalances between UE and other mods though.

Edit: For more perspective, a single large reactor turbine produces more power than 18 industrial steam engines. 18 industrial steam engines produce 144 mj/t. While a RC boiler can produce only enough steam to power 18 engines, it can power 9 large reactor (or small reactor, but the large ones are more efficient) turbines. This means a single boiler goes from making 144mj/t to over 1296mj/t by using large reactor turbines instead of industrial steam engines.

As I said, it shows the massive power production imbalances between the mods.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
It's definitely true that these mods, especially atomic science, need a little more balancing when used alongside other mods.
But from a practical standpoint, why would you use a railcraft boiler to power turbines? While it does seem very effective, an atomic science nuclear fusion reactor produces a near infinite amount of power when harnessed properly using steam funnels and liquiducts. I got up to 153 large turbines in a creative test world before I gave up trying to find a limit. In terms of mj, thats more than 22,000 mj/t, and it filled an ultimate energy cube in less than 3 seconds.
On a related note, that many turbines will murder your fps. As soon as I got near to that setup, my fps dived down to 15ish. Even in my survival world, where I have only 32, my fps hovers around the 40-50 range, when it's normally in the 70-80 range.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
That's the other part of the problem, the lag that can be introduced by using too many turbines. What I'd really like to see is a low-lag multi-block entity that can turn a lot of steam into a lot of power as an alternative to massive, lag producing engine rooms. I'm not saying it has to be cheap either. Basically something like RC's steam turbine for eu without the upkeep, but bigger size and higher cost.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, a different, less laggy way to harness steam from my nuclear fusion reactor would be a good idea, and my fps would be happy about it :). I kinda like the turbines though, its very realistic and cool, I just hate to think that I might have to move my home if I set up any more turbines. Maybe a way to turn off the animations for the turbines or at least scale them down a bit would be a good solution for now.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually given it a bit more thought. You would have to build the steam engines kinda like an AE supercomputer. You would have the outer frame, on the outside you would have energy transfer blocks where you could hook up your power output, steam vents where you would put your steam filled pipes, and lubrication channels (more on that later). For the inside you would have special steam turbine blocks that would consume the 720s/t that a 36hp boiler can produce and convert it into 144mj/t, so each center block would replace the 18 industrial steam engines, but the minimum size is a 3x3x3 cube. As you increase the size it becomes more space efficient, but will consume more lubricant as its upkeep. The lubricant can be either creosote oil or seed oil and the machine can hold a supply of both so you can feed both types of oil and if one fails the backup is already being piped in. In this way you'd have to make sure there is enough lubricant to make the engine runs at full efficiency without having to replace steel turbines every so often.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds like a good idea, but the mod author is a bit obsessed with being realistic, and well... turbines are fairly realistic.