A question about energy storage/ mekanism

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

sixdrumquads

Jul 29, 2019
With the release of 1.6 ftb somewhere on the horizon I was thinking of playing with mekanism on top of the other mods in ultimate. The energy storage it offers seems interesting, my biggest question about it is how much mj/eu can a 100 mj storage cube hold, and would it be conceivable to store my power in cubes before diverting it to my machines?

2. Does mekanism play well with the other mods, block Ids specifically?

3. Does Gregtech modify the recipes in mekanism?

4. Will certain parts of UE mods simply be disabled if they don't have the required components?
Ex quantum bat box from Electric expansion if there is not antimatter.

Edit: question 4 added

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
With the release of 1.6 ftb somewhere on the horizon I was thinking of playing with mekanism on top of the other mods in ultimate. The energy storage it offers seems interesting, my biggest question about it is how much mj/eu can a 100 mj storage cube hold, and would it be conceivable to store my power in cubes before diverting it to my machines?

2. Does mekanism play well with the other mods, block Ids specifically?

3. Does Gregtech modify the recipes in mekanism?

1. Take a wild guess :p

2. I believe so, it even has cables that carry any power :D

3. I'll bet it does a bit at least.

sixdrumquads

Jul 29, 2019
I thought ue mods used joules with prefixes or watts, not buildcraft mj? I have had a little trouble finding out based on mekanism's wiki.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I thought ue mods used joules with prefixes or watts, not buildcraft mj? I have had a little trouble finding out based on mekanism's wiki.
Both are in short called MJ but not in the lorg terms. BC is Minecraft Joules and UE is Mega Joules.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
You need 10 joules of power for a eu and 25 for a mj. Idk what's a mega joule is worth but I do know a kj is worth 1000 joules.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Iirc power converters can cause issues if combined with Mekanism in that you can get a positive feedback loop (create free energy via conversions); however this was something that was alluded to by someone else so I'm not all too sure about it.

What I do know is other than the energy cubes Mekanism is kinda meh. All the energy production in it is passive (think solar panel) and requires no input past the initial setup (as long as you set it up correctly) while the machines are lackluster. The factory, for example, can smelt 3/5/7 items at a time (depending on which tier) but is not very fuel efficient. In my tests I used a TE steam engine and any smelter from Mekanism only got 7 items smelted from a single charcoal while a powered furnace got 19.

sixdrumquads

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like the power generation is good fearths early portion of the game but meant to be replaced by other UE methods of power, namely the fission or fission reactors. I think it would be cool to store my power in a universal form and then output it into conduits or cable as needed. If I get into really heavy power production I will probably get some gt energy storage behind these though.

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
Iirc power converters can cause issues if combined with Mekanism in that you can get a positive feedback loop (create free energy via conversions); however this was something that was alluded to by someone else so I'm not all too sure about it.

What I do know is other than the energy cubes Mekanism is kinda meh. All the energy production in it is passive (think solar panel) and requires no input past the initial setup (as long as you set it up correctly) while the machines are lackluster. The factory, for example, can smelt 3/5/7 items at a time (depending on which tier) but is not very fuel efficient. In my tests I used a TE steam engine and any smelter from Mekanism only got 7 items smelted from a single charcoal while a powered furnace got 19.
With mekanism and other universal electricity mods install, power converters is rather redundant bar converting to factorization's charge but I believe they are trying, if not already implemented that, in the electric expansion. Also there is absolutely nothing wrong passive generation. In fact, the wind mill and solar panels are relatively cheaper and more efficient than their IC2 counterparts if gregtech is installed. The advanced solar panel is more powerful than an advanced/LV array and slightly less powerful than a hybrid/MV array. And a fully submerged heat generator produces as much energy as 10 fully submerged water mills.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The problem isn't so much with passive generation in and of itself so much as some of us just don't like to use that kind of system. Sure, we could use an ultimate hybrid solar panel or w/e, but I prefer to set up something such as a boiler instead of just plopping something down and attaching a cable to it. It's a simple preference and I find passive power such as that rather boring.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
The problem isn't so much with passive generation in and of itself so much as some of us just don't like to use that kind of system. Sure, we could use an ultimate hybrid solar panel or w/e, but I prefer to set up something such as a boiler instead of just plopping something down and attaching a cable to it. It's a simple preference and I find passive power such as that rather boring.
Yea me too but man that Heat Generator is an IC2 generator on steroids, both eu/t and total output. Lava in it though is only going to get you 8k eu for some reason. Doesn't make any senses for that but whatever.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using Mekanism as a stepping stone to the true power generation of Gregtech and Atomic Science. The problem is that there comes a point when Mekanism just can't keep up without truly massive farms that cost more than nuclear reactors.

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah making intricate boilers is fun but I was just making such that everything of interest has been mention. Speaking of which robits are awesome, built in chest, crafting table, furnace (meh), anvil and it follows you around. ROBITS!
Also Harvest the heat generator can burn fuel like a (less efficient) generator or be surrounded by lava to provide passive generation of power, 5 joules per tick for each side touching lava.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Mekanism's passive gen is about as good as passive gen gets. It's weak, progressively hard to automate, and usually space inefficient. Don't discount its solars the way you would AdvSolars/CompatSolars. That mod exists in a spectrum where AtomicScience is meant to be the endgame power system, and railcraft boilers are also considered medium-high tier powergen.

In Mekanism, you are sorta punished for replicating small scale solutions. You can do it, but it's almost never resource efficient to do so. Especially when AtomicScience reactors are so incredibly good.[DOUBLEPOST=1373337595][/DOUBLEPOST]

Also, Mekanism makes power converters useless. You don't need it. If you install Mekanism, you should uninstall PowerConverters. Two power conversion systems using different ratios will ALWAYS lead to power loops. PowerCrystals also based his UE conversion numbers on an inherently incorrect metric for UE (smelt of single ore, which leads to UE being radially superior, and while we're at it it totally ignores that MJ and EU&UE scale at different rates thus making for power amp loops anyways).

Reactions: Mjw and Loufmier

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I agree with that, but some people look for that kind of stuff and exploit it. The whole reason I looked at Mekanism to begin with was the factories and the energy cubes but seeing as the only thing I would take away from the mod is the latter I got disinterested in it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I agree with that, but some people look for that kind of stuff and exploit it. The whole reason I looked at Mekanism to begin with was the factories and the energy cubes but seeing as the only thing I would take away from the mod is the latter I got disinterested in it.

What do you mean "the only thing I would take away". The Factories are incredibly good (albeit hard to power). Mekanism has evolved crazy-fast over the last 3 months.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The issue was the factories as I mentioned above with how much power draw they had. I liked the idea of smelting 7 items at once, just not when it would take more fuel to smelt them than a vanilla furnace. This might be different if using a UE coal generator for power over a TE steam engine though, but if the coal gen produces more power then it makes TE powered furnaces and IC2 furnaces even more fuel efficient >< Part of my distaste for it might come from a few other things though, but I am mulling over re-installing it into my 152wgt pack with AS and some other mods.