A note about English

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Dear Fellow FTBers,

Recently I've read some posts on the FTB forums where language has caused misunderstandings. In an attempt, vain though it may be, to solve at least one of the misconceptions I figured I'd try to explain something.

Disclaimer: This thread/post isn't intended to be derogatory at all or to make anyone feel like their English isn't good enough. I realize that English isn't everyone's native language and that not everyone feels language is very important. I am convinced, however, that there are certain things that help understanding rather than hinder it...

One common misconception is the following:

"FTB needs to add <insert modname>"

While this may mean something different in someone's native language, in English it's generally taken to mean "I must". As you may understand, the moment you say this to someone (or write it down) they are more likely to be offended than you had intended. The person reading this might simply feel..."I need? I don't need to do anything."

Instead, try using: "it would be great if FTB could ...", "Could <insert modname"> be added to ..." or in the first person form: "I would like to see <insert modname> added to the FTB-Ultimate-pack".

Additionally, I would also advise actually adding an explanation as to WHY you would like to see something changed/added/removed/whatever. In my experience, people are much more inclined to see it your way if you simply take the trouble of explaining your reasons for wanting a certain something.

I hope that this small clarification may help you and I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank the entire FTB-team, the modders, and the Wiki Staff for all their hard work!

Cheers,
Bel*.