A nice HD texture pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So I just got a nice flashy new computer. I can now give my client all the RAM and GPU-loving it needs to be happy, so I'm pretty much no-longer relegated to playing on the default textures on low quality.

Any suggestions for something nice and pretty, fully compatible with the mods in the latest version of Infinity etc?

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
So I just got a nice flashy new computer. I can now give my client all the RAM and GPU-loving it needs to be happy, so I'm pretty much no-longer relegated to playing on the default textures on low quality.

Any suggestions for something nice and pretty, fully compatible with the mods in the latest version of Infinity etc?
Soartex is a pack that looks quite nice, as well as that other one that is a remake of it (or vise versa.) Sphax looks pretty cool, but it makes the game look more technological, which is something you may not want.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You are never going to find anything that is fully compatible with such a large modpack. However one of the best covering texturepacks have indeed always been Soartex Fanver IMO.
I love it because it is not a retake on what MC should look like, but more simply an improvement of what was already there. Sharp and clean without you ever really having problems figuring out what an item is supposed to be when comparing to vanilla textures.

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
Throwing in a vote for Sphax. Check it out, it may or may not be your thing. If not, Soartex.

Skvapter

Jul 29, 2019
Throwing in a vote for Sphax. Check it out, it may or may not be your thing. If not, Soartex.

Personally, Sphax for me makes me feel like I'm writing a letter to a business company in Comic Sans. I don't struggle too hard to identify a block type or anything with the texture pack installed and online but it just makes me feel like an 8 year old when I use those textures.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, Sphax for me makes me feel like I'm writing a letter to a business company in Comic Sans. I don't struggle too hard to identify a block type or anything with the texture pack installed and online but it just makes me feel like an 8 year old when I use those textures.
Being 8 wasn't that bad.
The only bad thing about being 8 was not having the mental capacity to learn stuff worth knowing (programming, 3D modeling, playing with mods on MC), and I keep all those things even while pretending I'm 8 while using sphax. :p

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
What Resource Pack each person uses is down to their personal preferences. It's up to the player really. Only Resource Packs I would recommend are few and far between.

Soartex Fanver: Simple, clean. smooth. Ideal if your going for that futuristic industrial look. Covers almost all the mods and being constantly updated.
Sphax: To me it looks cartoon-ish and designed for young children, but if your into that sort of thing, it is one of the most complete packs when it comes to mod coverage.
John Smith: Nice rustic feel if your into medieval styles. Also covers a lot of mods but to what extent. I do not know.
Faithful: Vanilla style but in higher resolution. Massive Mod support.

As for me, I have been using Soartex Fanver for so long that I have stopped looking for alternatives. I just changed the water texture so that I can see it.

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said, it may or may or may not be your thing. Minecraft does make me feel like an 8 year old, it's a good thing. My 8 year old self feels happy. :D

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
Faithful is my personal preference. While Soartex is really nicely done (kudos to the artists), I find it just a little too different from what I've always been used to, especially when looking for something in an inventory - I tried it for a week or so, but just couldn't get on with it (and the invisible water is a put-off too, although I know that can be fixed).

All very subjective of course.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Cheers for the suggestions :)

I'll have a go at sphax first, but if I remember right I need to import the assets from compliant mods seperately or something like that?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I tried Soartex forna while, as @rhn showcased its beautiful textures quite well for me. Unfortunately, my building style is... well... infantile in comparison, so I found after some experimentation that I prefer the look of John Smith for my world. What this has taught me is that the best way to go about finding the best texture pack for you is to download a bunch of them and try them for a week or so each. When you find the one, you'll know.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm a big fan of John Smith. For two reasons really, one being that the stone looks just plain amazing. The other one is a visual thing. Most mods add silver. Silver, from most mods, TE included, looks very similar to vanilla diamond. JS puts and actual diamond on the side of the block, so you know what you're getting.

That and most of the things it doesn't cover, it's not so completely different from vanilla that they stand out excessively.