A NAGging question: Horse based mods.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sitting here in my world and I saw a horse, for some reason I felt compelled to leash it to a post for reasons, just reasons...
I know in modded minecraft at least, horses are rather useless unless you have a mod/ MineTweaked a recipe to get early saddles. As mods can let you run faster then Superman after snorting a mixture of coke, bath salts and red kriptonite our blocky equine companions are sort of well just there for show.
Blue ribbons are cool and all but I just can't help but think that there's plenty pure potential pony power play to be had here.

When horses where introduced I was SO expecting a lulzy pisstake mod that added nano/ quantum horse armor and pointless horse jetpacks but so far my search has led me to no such innovations. The vanilla horse is ATM just a vestigial game play feature, sitting there forelorn, tied to a post or just killed for some quick leather to make a hang glider (or rendered in to glue if you have Findus's Fillies).

Does anybody plan on making a mod that elaborates on horses at all? Or does anybody know of an interesting mod that already exists?
I know Mo Creatures was doing this way way before and even had a somewhat complex breeding system but I'm thinking of just more.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Don't think so, I think modders just find horses boring or not worth the hassle of changing/improving/addons.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Don't think so, I think modders just find horses boring or not worth the hassle of changing/improving/addons.
As true as that looks an enterprising modder could very well change that with their modding magic. Imagine riding in on a quantum armor clad steed with death laser blinders just cutting sick, actually that's prpbably going to far but you see what I mean right.
Actually I'm supprised no magic mods have been based around or add to horses. Don't tell me Thaumic horse armor doesn't sound at least a little bit cool it could be fitted with thaumic devices like a portable essentia forge or a vis battery, or bound horse armor that can be inscribed with a ritual that provides buffs and auras or manasteel armor that um mana steels... I haven't played Botania, maybe a horse mounted mana spreader?...
Someone could even make a separate mod Equimancy it could be called. Either way, wether horse be boring I see some potential new stuff to be had with them.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Koosemose

Jul 29, 2019
As true as that looks an enterprising modder could very well change that with their modding magic. Imagine riding in on a quantum armor clad steed with death laser blinders just cutting sick, actually that's prpbably going to far but you see what I mean right.
Actually I'm supprised no magic mods have been based around or add to horses. Don't tell me Thaumic horse armor doesn't sound at least a little bit cool it could be fitted with thaumic devices like a portable essentia forge or a vis battery, or bound horse armor that can be inscribed with a ritual that provides buffs and auras or manasteel armor that um mana steels... I haven't played Botania, maybe a horse mounted mana spreader?...
Someone could even make a separate mod Equimancy it could be called. Either way, wether horse be boring I see some potential new stuff to be had with them.
Aura Node Harness for Donkeys and Mules.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Aura Node Harness for Donkeys and Mules.
Or "Animal Infusion" like make the donkey it's self able to absorb a node. You could use a lead to bind it to an altar then do the usual infusion. This mechanic could also be applied to say wolves and cats or any other tameable mob, then again that might be straying too close to Whitchery's territory.

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I can really think of is that Chococraft mod(I think?) that has wild chocobos that basically do everything horses do except less of a pain in the ass, stuff to tame them grows on the ground in areas they live and their saddle needed like two of their feathers(which just fall off them randomly similarly to how eggs come from chickens), a string, and a piece of leather. Even had a "hay" carpet sort of thing that they would regen while standing on a 3x3 of.

It really just made the whole horse thing into something that was actually usable. I don't even know how to tame a vanilla horse(wheat maybe? carrots? apples?), and I'd imagine that there is still no vanilla recipe for saddles.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I think part of the problem is that it is actually very difficult to mod horses, even add armour for them.
That's the main problem I've been told by a few devs. Its extremely difficult to mod anything around horses. We can put on tin foil hats about the "Why" but it still remains that horse code in vanilla is extremely difficult to mod.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
horses are very very useful because they are very very big animals and produce very much sewage for many stacks of fertilizer for very veery nice supply of plants. :D

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
pretty hard to code a mod for something that's coded quite bad...
I'd love to see some horse mods, but Mojang first needs to improve their code for horses

C

chbachman

What exactly is deficient about their code?
Well, a lot in minecraft is coded terribly. Horses just happen to be one of those. However, that is not the issue, because many other things are coded terribly (lighting, rendering) and we still mod those.

The problem with horses is that they do not have "hooks".

Hooks are, in essence, the way that modders change minecraft, or add to it. A hook might be something that is called, or started, when something happens. This usually is something like: "When a player jumps, let me know, so that i can do something"

There are a lot of hooks surrounding blocks, items, tile entities, terrain generation, and many other things. However, this is because of the tireless work of the Forge team, and what the community wants. The modding community would rather have hooks around blocks and items, than horses. Horses do not have those hooks. There is no "When a horse starts running, let me know, so that i can do something.". This makes it almost impossible to mod horses, unless you go into the vanilla MC code and change it, which is a complicated process that should not be undertaken lightly.