A Modpack With A New Idea

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should we try to make new modpacks that focus on IC2/Gregtech

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
There have been many modpacks created in the recent months . Most of then focus on RF , and Thermal Expansion . For Example, Crackpack on AT_Launcher was called a failure by many . The reason is that Thermal Expansion , and MFR , which are very good mods , don't have much stuff to do . In FTB Ultimate , Mindcrack , and Dorewolf , IC2/Gregtech were the main mods . Many people said that they didn't like Gregtech but Gregtech KEPT THE MODPACK ALIVE ! There was so much to do that you had to play the game for at least two months , unlike monster which you finish in a few weeks .

Maybe we can try a different modpack idea focusing on the ideas of the past . Also , some modpacks have too many mods . I like the diversity , but some mods just sit there and people never bother with them . I am giving this suggestion because thermal expansion said that they will not update to 1.7.2 but to 1.7.10 . Thermal Expansion thinks that they don't have to update until 1.8 . We need to show Thermal Expansion that we don't need them , and we can make a modpack like ultimate

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
There have been many modpacks created in the recent months . Most of then focus on RF , and Thermal Expansion . For Example, Crackpack on AT_Launcher was called a failure by many . The reason is that Thermal Expansion , and MFR , which are very good mods , don't have much stuff to do . In FTB Ultimate , Mindcrack , and Dorewolf , IC2/Gregtech were the main mods . Many people said that they didn't like Gregtech but Gregtech KEPT THE MODPACK ALIVE ! There was so much to do that you had to play the game for at least two months , unlike monster which you finish in a few weeks .

Maybe we can try a different modpack idea focusing on the ideas of the past . Also , some modpacks have too many mods . I like the diversity , but some mods just sit there and people never bother with them . I am giving this suggestion because thermal expansion said that they will not update to 1.7.2 but to 1.7.10 . Thermal Expansion thinks that they don't have to update until 1.8 . We need to show Thermal Expansion that we don't need them , and we can make a modpack like ultimate

Did Thermal Expansion steal your lunch money or something?

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
Just noticed this

Thermal Expansion was in Ultimate...
I like thermal expansion except im just saying that all modpacks would be almost the same if they all have the same mods[DOUBLEPOST=1408205445][/DOUBLEPOST]
No.

If I'm going for a modpack without thermal expansion or RF in general, it'll be Mekanism based rather than IC2/GT.

It's just a better way of doing things :)
Have thermal expansion , I don't hate it , its just that they sould add other mods

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Ic2 is like most mods a very good mod. (I Don't use GT so I'm not even going to touch that one.) But like most mods it has bugs, and at this point after all of the changes that they have done Ic2 still needs a great deal of work to be use able for more then just bug testing, unlike TE with many mods that are starting to use RF as the main form of power to the point of not just one team working on it and its power but a lot of the mod makers that do tech mods these days help in one form or another as far as I know. If Ic2 can pull things together and fix a lot of the bugs I've seen from it, then I would be all for packs with it, but it is just not ready yet.

(Also if I'm wrong on points about the mod makers then I'm sorry. I was just going off of bits that I know, and what I had heard.)

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
Ic2 is like most mods a very good mod. (I Don't use GT so I'm not even going to touch that one.) But like most mods it has bugs, and at this point after all of the changes that they have done Ic2 still needs a great deal of work to be use able for more then just bug testing, unlike TE with many mods that are starting to use RF as the main form of power to the point of not just one team working on it and its power but a lot of the mod makers that do tech mods these days help in one form or another as far as I know. If Ic2 can pull things together and fix a lot of the bugs I've seen from it, then I would be all for packs with it, but it is just not ready yet.

(Also if I'm wrong on points about the mod makers then I'm sorry. I was just going off of bits that I know, and what I had heard.)
Ya , your right IC2 is very buggy at the moment . I'm just saying that that most of the mods focused around RF aren't that developed yet . They are very good but there isn't that much to do compared to IC2 with Gregtech . Also , ever since RF came out , MJ became less used and things that were once op with buidlcraft and forestry , and railcraft became easy to get[DOUBLEPOST=1408214472][/DOUBLEPOST]lol , you have a point , I guess the title wasn't that good . * Facepalm *

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Ya , your right IC2 is very buggy at the moment . I'm just saying that that most of the mods focused around RF aren't that developed yet
Mekanism, Thermal Expansion, Ender IO, Big Reactors, etc. have tons of content o_O
railcraft became easy to get
What does that mean exactly? Railcraft has never really been a hard mod. It's been a cost-reward kind of mod since forever. You spend a long time, a ton of bricks, and a ton of sand building coke ovens- possibly automating it, and you get a much better version of coal. You spend a ton of energy and iron/redstone making tracks, and you get more per craft, etc.

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
Ya they have tons of content , but the mods don't take long to complete . I played ever mod that you talked about . Big reactors , all you need is coal , and yellorium and you get soo much power that its insane . Its to op in my opinion . Ender IO is an amazing mod , one of the best . Mekanism is good , but its to focused on more ores . In my opinion the mod is so focused on ores production that they they forgot to add a lot to do with the ores . THey mods are all amazing ( the animation in big reactors is amazing , Ender IO is very balances , and mekanism lets you have fast smelting with RF ) I respect you since you are a wiki member I really do , but Im just saying that you can finish these mods in a few weeks .

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Has GT ever been in an official FTB pack without Thermal Expansion?
Nope. Even the pack that Greg put together (modlist-wise) had TE.
I played ever mod that you talked about . Big reactors , all you need is coal , and yellorium and you get soo much power that its insane . Its to op in my opinion
I haven't actually used Big Reactors, so I can't really say anything on this.
Mekanism is good , but its to focused on more ores . In my opinion the mod is so focused on ores production that they they forgot to add a lot to do with the ores
It adds 3 ores... Two of which are added by almost every single tech mod these days...
Also, the ores in it are insanely useful, esp. Osmium.
I respect you since you are a wiki member I really do
Not sure what me being on the wiki team has to do with anything, but okay :p
Im just saying that you can finish these mods in a few weeks .
Eh. I don't believe mods can be "finished" unless there is an absolute structured tiering, but I can't think of any mod where I get everything, and still can't think of stuff to do. Although, you're talking to a builder here, so that's usually what I do anyway.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal expansion is too simple but otherwise seems great for the main power system in modpacks. I mean diversity is good but doesnt need to be forced upon.
Personally i think ultimate was great. In its time, but now there isnt any reason to make that type of pack anymore.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
If your sole goal is to make things in a mod and be done, then you'll always be disappointed in mods. I use mods to make vanilla easier. I don't play for the sake of mods.

Right now I'm building the typical Minecraft Nordic house with the pointy roof peaks. The most advanced tech I had was an osmium set of armor and tools. I was having a blast until I started laying the roof. I thought, it'd be easier to lay the stairs and set windows if I had a jetpack. It'd also be quicker if I had a lumber axe and hammer for material gathering. Hmmm, I may as well make the tools flux powered and I'll need glowstone & blaze rods for the jetpack. I'll need power and obsidian so I'll need to pump some lava. Etc....

Now I've turned a vanilla building assignment into a mod quest. Once my house is done I'll also enough up with a power shack for my energy generation, a stable for the animals, a cool farm building for my EnderIO machines, and an Enhanced Portal building. I've got a lkng way to go and I'm only using less than 80 mods and nothing I've said will go very deep into any particular mod. I haven't even mentioned the Blood Magic Temple that will need to be built, nor he mob farms and villager internment camp.

I'll never finish. Plus I'll add another dozen mods, maybe. This is me talking from my play style perspective, but IMHO I don't understand how you can ever be "finished" in this game.

924Shrapnel

Jul 29, 2019
I respect your comment . When you tell me that you will never finish , I am talking about content wise with mods . Yes you can build until you die , but trust me , when it comes to modpacks, you can;t add mods . Also most of the community plays on servers . For example , Monster , You get a quarry-plus( TO OP ) mine a hole out in five minutes , swim in iron/gold/diaminds , research everything in thaumcraft, get an enderium jetpack, make a big reactor , and ya , you think what else . Make a power suit , OK made one , and its fully thinkered . Thats basicely Monster in a nut shell for most players

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I respect your comment . When you tell me that you will never finish , I am talking about content wise with mods . Yes you can build until you die , but trust me , when it comes to modpacks, you can;t add mods . Also most of the community plays on servers . For example , Monster , You get a quarry-plus( TO OP ) mine a hole out in five minutes , swim in iron/gold/diaminds , research everything in thaumcraft, get an enderium jetpack, make a big reactor , and ya , you think what else . Make a power suit , OK made one , and its fully thinkered . Thats basicely Monster in a nut shell for most players
I don't understand how having a Gregtech pack would solve this problem for you.