A ModPack I think we really need

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
I've ended up here after, well, quite a lot of googling, ending up in locked threads, and seeing massive complaints/annoyances/flame wars about permissions and private pack codes from sites ranging from FTB to reddit to technic.

I'd like to take a moment here and put out the plight of the SSP player. We really don't care about all of that. We actually kind of hoped when "Private Packs" was put in, we could create our own pack and just launch it from the launcher...which never really happened that way.

So, whithout further delay, I would like to ask the great ModPack devs to consider adding this modpack. When you see it, I think you might just say to yourself "Why didn't we add that in the first place?!".

[ModPackName] = My Custom Pack
The versions would be labled: MineCraft 1.6.4 - Forge-X.X.X.XXX
Latest stable forge release for each version.

[ModPackMods] = Forge
Other ModPack Contents = Full set of FTB Universal Configs.

And that's it. It gives us all a spot on the launcher we can then just select, hit edit modpack, and make our own custom SSP pack. With Forge and the Configs already there, the hard part is done. You see, currently most of us have to basically pick a pack we aren't ever going to play, launch it once, then wipe it out of mods/etc just to then tweek it our way.

All we really need is just a modpack like above and we don't have to butcher another pack just to get what we want. Honestly, I think this pack would save a lot of grief for us SSP players out there that just want to custom pack, but going the private pack route is overkill. I got this idea when the Vanilla minecraft pack was added to the launcher and thought, "Wouldn't it be great to just have a forge one?"

So Devs, what do ya think? I think it's a great way to capitalize on the universal configs, and a pack like this could make preparing for something like JamPacked even easier.

Now, excuse me while I try to figure out which modpack to butcher to create my personalize tech-heavy-BNB-style-difficulty-SSP-pack.

tfox83

Jul 29, 2019
I personally suggest MultiMC for something like that, it's the best for building ModPacks, and if you want the configs from a FTB pack just copy/paste the config folder. A launcher is really meant to share ModPacks with others, that's the whole reason it was developed. If you are making a pack for personal use in SSP MultiMC is the best option, then if you decide you want to share it with others gather the permissions, zip it up and submit it to the launcher as a 3rd party pack. (Please excuse any typos, responding from my phone)

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
I personally suggest MultiMC for something like that, it's the best for building ModPacks, and if you want the configs from a FTB pack just copy/paste the config folder. A launcher is really meant to share ModPacks with others, that's the whole reason it was developed. If you are making a pack for personal use in SSP MultiMC is the best option, then if you decide you want to share it with others gather the permissions, zip it up and submit it to the launcher as a 3rd party pack. (Please excuse any typos, responding from my phone)

Here is where a bit of my confusion comes in. Multi-MC is the "Best Option" because no one else really attempts it. To my knowledge, the only other one that tries anything similar is the technic launcher with it's add-custom-zip option. Also, with the Vanilla Mincraft pack being added, it kind of is in opposition to your statement it's only for modpacks. I may as just well use the default minecraft launcher with a forge instance. All this does is make me have to upkeep yet another launcher and learn all of it's rules and quirks. That's the reason so many people just butcher a modpack on the FTB launcher, it's just easier and keeps all my minecraft in one place.

A "Just Forge" pack has quite a lot of uses, and that combined with the universal configs I think just gives the community that one thing that no other launcher does.

A clean blank canvas to start from with very low chance of conflicts and reduced time looking for bugs.

Quest Status: Looks like butchering a public pack is more trouble than worth since a random update or accidental update would break my custom changes. Turns out that finding a private pack "close" to what you want, blowing away the configs, adding in the universals, and then tweaking is the best bet. Also means less chance of random update killing your set, or having to do wierd backups if you actually want to play the pack you edited heavily.

Last edited:

eliandarkbrood

Jul 29, 2019
Here is what i do. I download the desired modpack, create a multimc instance with same version mc and forge, copy over folders, remove undesired mods and... ta da! Just what you wanted. Adding other mods? Well that's where bug sqashing comes in. Read through the crashlog and it tells you where the problem is and a little tweak and ding! Its done. Now as for the ftb launcher, would require permissions... Could potenially work, but requires a lot of work.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
This is actually a fairly common request, and we have a good reason for not implementing it. When slowpoke originally had the idea of creating a FTB launcher, he asked Forkk, the MultiMC dev, to make it. Long story short, it didn't work out. We still have a good relationship with Forkk, but we try not to infringe on his turf, which is running your own pack. No idea if this might change in the future, but that is precisely why the FTB launcher does not do that well.

I do understand your complaint of having to use separate launchers, but MultiMC really is superior for what you want.

Chris Caldwell

Jul 29, 2019
This will be awesome in the new launcher when each mod is downloaded separately. If you had a generic modpack like suggested by the OP but instead of no mods it has all of the mods.
You could control what was active with the Edit Modpack functionality and when mods update you could get the update automatically.