A Ghast Blew Up My Nether Portal; This is How I Got Out!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a vanilla feature that's nothing new. You could do this with a plank and lava, or a fire charge, or you could just kill yourself and return to collect your gear. But +1 for creativity! ;)
Yeah I know it's in vanilla, but I did use scaffold which is not vanilla... So, yeah... Also I could have died and reclaimed my things very easily, but I decided to have some fun by challenging myself to find a way out instead.

nether = flint and steel, remember that, it's very important
I was just popping in real quick to test out my disarm spell on some z-pigmen, didn't think of bringing flint and steel.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I know it's in vanilla, but I did use scaffold which is not vanilla... So, yeah... Also I could have died and reclaimed my things very easily, but I decided to have some fun by challenging myself to find a way out instead.

I was just popping in real quick to test out my disarm spell on some z-pigmen, didn't think of bringing flint and steel.

I always have a bag with all of my tools, and as soon as I've made a nether portal, there'll always be a flint and steel in that bag

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Also you could just make an fire charge since you need gunpowder which drop from ghasts, blazepowder and coal which drop from wither skeletons.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Also you could just make an fire charge since you need gunpowder which drop from ghasts, blazepowder and coal which drop from wither skeletons.
Yes, you are right, I could used that method to reignite the nether portal. I also could have reignited it by ricocheting a ghast fireball into the nether portal. I suppose I even could have explored a nearby nether fortress for a flint and steel which is a common loot item found in the chests. In fact, I am quite sure there are plenty of alternate methods I could have used to leave the nether. I am, however, quite pleased with the method I chose to leave the nether.

Reactions: Cirom and kilteroff

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.6.4, you can find those in Nether fortress loot chests.

I wonder if a TC4 Fire Focus can relight it...
Alas, the Fire Focus can not; hence why @SpitefulFox is adding a ability to make fire using a bit of ignis on netherrack or obsidian in the next Forbidden Magic update.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it be easier to make a chest put all items in it and die, come back through thus creating a new portal to get your stuff, a lot less faffing about that's for sure :D

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it be easier to make a chest put all items in it and die, come back through thus creating a new portal to get your stuff, a lot less faffing about that's for sure :D
OP was focused on fun rather than ease ;)

OP is the reason I like to have an Anchor Stone from Arcane Scrolls set to my base on me at all times. If I ever need to get back, it'll only cost me like 20 Arcane Stones or something like that.

Reactions: Cirom

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just wait inside a portal until ghast shoots at you again and if it hits portal it will reignite it. :)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just wait inside a portal until ghast shoots at you again and if it hits portal it will reignite it. :)
that is standard vanilla method of operation for getting home from the nether. this is modded minecraft. it wouldnt be a valid tactic if it didn't contain at least one modded item or mechanic. ;)

And i agree with the op. dying in order to get home free is cheaty. and if you like to play hardcore like me... well.. forget it. dying is NOT and option. :cool: