A easier way to get steel (Traincraft)

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
While looking into the traincraft mod for my SSP world I discovered something cool and totally game breaking. It turns out thanks to traincraft it is possible to turn 24 iron, 8 coal and a clay ball into 64 steel with 0 exploit. This is done via its built in steel recipe on its train workbench and the steel can be used in all recipes that use steel thanks to the ore dictionary. Which means their is no point in building a blast furnace that has a 1 to 1 ratio when you can more than double your steel production via traincraft. To make matters worse their is no option to disable the recipe in its config and the recipe is done on a non-standard crafting table so disabling it will be very hard with out disabling the whole mod.

Here are the recipes - http://trains-and-zeppelin.wikispaces.com/Recipes

Note that you will only get 32 steel dust but when you cook it in any furnace it will double it and even net you a good bit of xp if done in a normal furnace.

Edit - It also appears that all the train craft recipes will allow you to substitute refined iron for its steel so if a way is found to disable the recipe then it will not break the mod.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
That's what you call traincraft exploit..

That is correct, it is a rather nasty one at that thanks to rail craft's use of steel as a high end resource for a lot of things and Gregs attempts to make progression harder. I would recommend disabling the mod for the time being or blocking the train workbench recipe on the normal crafting tables. If you disable it how ever be aware that it has world gen for its oil sand and crude oil to make its fuel but you can also make said fuel with sugar cane so the effect will be minimum.

Edit - A good thing how ever is that traincraft is lacking a NEI plugin so unless you look up the recipes on its wiki you would not know of this exploit.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, actually Refined Iron has been ore dictionaried, so with the Forge Lexicon you can convert Refined Iron to any type of Steel. Makes railcraft's oven kinda...pointless.

4nic

Jul 29, 2019
Dont see why it should be disabled, the author made the mod that way for his mod not to be mixed with others

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
The problem comes when you can turn that 64 ingots you just exploited, into refined iron and use that steel for other mods.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
Right, I understand, but if you can take 24 iron, turn that into 64 steel, and then use the forge lexicon to turn that into 64 refined iron, you have an exploit.

4nic

Jul 29, 2019
Well thats what happens when u mix up 30 mods or more still going to be alot more found

4nic

Jul 29, 2019
So r u saying make it harder to get steel? Cause then that takes away from the traincraft mod

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Steel should be harder to get.. that's one of the reason why everyone hates GregTech..

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, it also makes the..I think it's the blast furnace, from railcraft, completely useless.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
No worries. I've let DV8FromTheWorld, a traincraft developer, know about the compatibility problems between traincraft and railcraft, and he said they'll make the type of steel used in RC and TC non-compatible. As far as the lexicon problem goes with IC2 refined iron, I've posted on the TE forum and on the omni-tools issue tracker, so hopefully King Lemming will take care of that. Hopefully everyone will get the exploit ironed out(no pun intended) soon.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I've posted on the TE forum and on the omni-tools issue tracker, so hopefully King Lemming will take care of that. Hopefully everyone will get the exploit ironed out(no pun intended) soon.

Appreciate you getting in touch with me on this, but the Lexicon doesn't generate exploits, it just brings them to light. Strictly speaking, I'm providing the debug tool here; not the bug - this only shows up in the Lexicon because another mod has made steel and refined iron the same thing.

I'm not even going to attempt to fix every issue that random_mod_01 brings to the table - I provided a way for players and server admins to do this themselves. To fix this, go into your /config/cofh folder and open your omnitools.ignore file. Add a line that says "ingotSteel" and you're done. Conversions to/from disabled. You can also do itemID:metadata combos.

Sorta one danger with modpacks, nobody really reads up on what all the mods are capable of beforehand.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
Yea. I was hoping that the devs from TC would help out here, but they didn't seem to care about the conversion problem. Oh well though, at least I can fix it on my server.