A bit of a quarry/water issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madnesssoft

Jul 29, 2019
I know this doesn't have "much" to do with FTB, it's more along the side of minecraft's /HORRIBLE/ server code(or I'm just doing something wrong). But anyways. The way I build quarries, I always make them 64X64, and make a 63X63 L made from water source blocks, so basically what I'm left with is a pool of water and bedrock when quarries have finished, then to clean it all up, I use pumps and drain the water... /however/ doing this, it's turning into more of a nightmare than it's almost worth! Reason being, water being drained is the most TPS lag inducing thing you can do, especially when we're talking multiple quarries side by side. At the moment, my current server is sitting at 3.09 TPS as you can see here, totally unplayable, and I actually started the drain around 0600 CST, it's now 1500, and they /still/ have yet to drain, and this obviously isn't anything new, I'm just giving a point of reference on how bloody long it takes, and when this is happening, others can't even play on the server.

Does anyone know of a way to speed/fix this? Sans just hacking the world and removing water that way? Water REALLY needs to get on another thread, like... more threads the better. Have a six core server, and it's just pegged on 1, while bukkit still allows the loading of the world, actually /doing/ anything in the world is a game of sit and wait.

I just figured I would ask you guys, since I CAN'T be the only one out there that does quarries this way to avoid lava all together and just get /everything/ in the process.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Leaving the water isn't bad (it doesn't cause extra lag). However, if you do want to clean it there are some recommendation I can make. First, only put one water source block in one of the corners. It will spread to fill the 64x64 long before it reaches lava level. Second, leave the area chunkloaded somehow (don't break the quarry or use a chunk loader). Then remove the single source block. If you are playing a on server log out for about 10 or 15 minutes. The server doesn't lag calculating the water removal only the client does. Log back in after the water is gone. Another option is to teleport away from the quarry area until the water is gone.

However, the may be underground water source blocks you may have to deal with during the cleanup as well. The worst are underground pools.

Madnesssoft

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, haha, never thought about 4 corners, that works as well for the actual filling part. However, I don't break the quarries(like you said, they keep chunks loaded, and because I'm paranoid, I actually use a chicken chunkloader near them) but I'd beg to differ that it's not clientside, as I can sit and watch dynmap, and /no one/ is in game at the moment, and well, yeah, same results, as water is blocks, and the server itself is removing those blocks at an ungodly slow rate. The server is screaming "The server can't keep up! Did the time change?!" over and over and /over/ again, in game, or not.

At the moment I have a batch of 8 quarries all trying to drain in the nether(obvious from the picture on where the water is draining from the horribad TPS), and when I zipped over there to look where it was, looks like there is going to be a veeery long wait, maybe by sunday at the rate it's trying to drain.

EDIT: Just said screw it and used worldedit. This is my point on /water = blocks/, granted, since it only removed water source blocks, it's still going to take a while to finish, but! This is A LOT of blocks for a /single thread/ to deal with! As you can see

A little extra edit: Also, I don't leave the water because there are walls created by the quarries, between one another, and that's a whole lot of valuable material right there, and with water, well, that's a whole other pain to get around, but once it's empty of water, going through with a laser cleans it up nice and easily. Like this .

Status
Not open for further replies.