99% cpu and memory leak problem

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
In the log we can see how much RAM you have allocated to the game and how much memory your system has left.

This log indicates that you allocate more RAM then your system has free, however as you have allocated the minimum amount of RAM to the modpack to run it reducing that is not a problem.

Thus your options are
  • find out what programs/background-processes you have running that you don't need while playing minecraft and closing them.
  • Find some other way to reduce RAM usage by the rest of your system (possibly switching to another OS that needs less RAM, for example linux)
  • Add more RAM to your system
or some combination of the three. Note that we can't help with any of them.

Now, if you have a reason to believe the logs are not telling the truth about your system memory and have a clear indication for that to be the case that is not "it used to work before I changed stuff" then feel free to point that out.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Lenscas already gave good points.

<Censored rant about unanswered questions in this and earlier threads>

Updating OS is major change and honestly it you can't yell use telling that you have the same machine. Do you have baseline of free memory when not running MC from previous installation? Did you compare that amount of memory with your current installation?

And no you should not allocate more RAM to MC than you have free RAM. You just can't allocate g 5 GB memory if your system has 4352MB free usable RAM. If you do that you'll end up machine doing swapping which slows down everything.

About 99% JVM CPU usage is weird: You should run MC profiler. I'm not sure if you are willing to read and follow guides and share the results, even getting client log to find out how much pack does logging took 1,5 months. For reference see e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/..._server_cpu_and_ram_monitoring_with_visualvm/ Other tools that could be used: jmc.exe (part of the JDK) and other commercial profilers.

edit: stupid forum software embidding youtube videos

Reactions: lenscas

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Cpu usage is mostlikely a result of the lack of ram, especially now that apparently Windows tries to compress it under certain conditions. Though, don't Quote me on that as I really have not looked into that enough

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Cpu usage is mostlikely a result of the lack of ram, especially now that apparently Windows tries to compress it under certain conditions. Though, don't Quote me on that as I really have not looked into that enough
Launcher's logger + RAM compression was already blamed in earlier threads but I have not seen any relevant guides how programs should be coded for windows 10.

J

JmzBlond

Windows 10 requires 2Gb rams, has differnt drivers.

Trying to recreate you VLOG as much as possible
With Chrome, Obs and background systems I'm using around 4Gb, with MC Infinity Lite 1.10 (4gb allocated) i'm sitting at 9Gb used.

Your system has 8Gb, it is physically running out of ram to operate.
Chrome is a memory hog, can use 2gb+ on its own. you can try running MC with everything else closed. chrome, obs, discord, steam

When we say you need more ram we don't mean for MC we mean your entire system.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Launcher's logger + RAM compression was already blamed in earlier threads but I have not seen any relevant guides how programs should be coded for windows 10.
it is not something (for as far as I know) you as a programmer need to think to much about.
The compression just happens if I remember correctly when the system is low on memory and I am not sure if you as a programmer even has any control over it.

Also, the logger has nothing to do with that.

edit: just to be clear. the compression of memory is a symptom not a cause. It may cause problems in this specific case but fix the memory problems and you fix the problems caused by memory compression.

M

MagicMage1238

Explain why you think they aren't reading it and how they haven't contributed to helping you? I just read the thread top to bottom 3 time and saw at least four people contributing. Henry link specifically said he watched the vod. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said, but I'm not seeing how you come to the conclusion that none of these people attempted to help. I've played several packs from 1.10.2 and 1.7.10 since I updated to windows 10. And the os seems to need more memory to run.

Windows 10 also uses more CPU (not just memory)

But the problem didn't lay in the fact that your not providing enough memory, its the fact that it seems Java is limiting the amount of memory that can be used - a unusual behavior (at least I haven't seen it before) I cant provide a way to fix it, because I don't know the root cause, it would be a trial and error thing with me and would be much better if I had the computer in my lap rather than throwing messages back and forth.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
My broader point was my confusion as to the logic he was using about people not attempting to assist him. Agreed to the added CPU usage. My lack of understanding of java is apparent since despite two people pointing it out I missed the memory language (still don't quite get what it means)

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
I have to agree with what the users are saying here in that the new 1.10 packs do require more memory to run and I myself have had issues with them with including low fps and I still run windows 7. Have you turned off mipmap as that caused issues for me. Go to the options file and set it to 0.

I watched your video and from the looks if you are running out of memory because the new packs need more memory to run now. I heard this was because forge is doing more tasks under the hood than it used to do.

You had a lot of apps running which all need memory to run. A lot of streamers have second streaming pc to take a lot of the load of their gaming system.

I would personally recommend getting en extra 8gb of memory.

T

TheWay

Its kool guys i ran ftb before fine now I don't my computer didn't change yet no one understand that still LUL, i don't get what you can't understand I ran it fine before, my computer has nothing to do with it, the only logical thing I read was that windows now does more *** with the new compressed system etc, that is probably where the problem is (not my computer which everyone has said was the problem LOL?) but its ok ima just play custom packs FTB clearly has too many issues with winddows 10 im playing fine now with my own stuff my cpu isn't going to 99% etc with the modpacks I made that use the same exact modpacks so??? i guess it was FTB and windows 10 all along? not sure what to say sorry guys if you couldn't understand what I was saying thought it was quite clear. (telling me that I need to use less cpu doesn't make sense when I have nothing running btw :) )

Mod Edit to remove bad language

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I run ftb just fine on win 10. I'm not saying it's not possible that your issues are win 10 related but it's not the sole issue.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Have you tried disabling RAM compression if you are sure problems are caused by it?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Its kool guys i ran ftb before fine now I don't my computer didn't change yet no one understand that still LUL, i don't get what you can't understand I ran it fine before, my computer has nothing to do with it, the only logical thing I read was that windows now does more *** with the new compressed system etc, that is probably where the problem is (not my computer which everyone has said was the problem LOL?) but its ok ima just play custom packs FTB clearly has too many issues with winddows 10 im playing fine now with my own stuff my cpu isn't going to 99% etc with the modpacks I made that use the same exact modpacks so??? i guess it was FTB and windows 10 all along? not sure what to say sorry guys if you couldn't understand what I was saying thought it was quite clear. (telling me that I need to use less cpu doesn't make sense when I have nothing running btw :) )

The problem here appears to be that you aren't properly reading the replies you are getting from volunteers that are trying to help you. So I'll make it easy for you to understand, since being able to run 1.7.10 packs a few things have changed with your setup:
  • You've updated to Windows 10, which needs more RAM to run than 7/8/whatever
  • You're now running packs on MC 1.10+ which require a significantly larger RAM footprint than previous versions (1.7.10)
The fact that you could run packs fine on 1.7.10 is completely irrelevant when it comes to running 1.10+ packs as the system requirements have changed considerably. Now, your system has 8GB of RAM installed but after your OS is loaded along with, presumably, OBS/XSplit/Gameshow/Whatever and Chrome and whatever other background applications you have running you have around 4.2GB of RAM left free on your system. Allocating more than that is only going to cause you problems, as you have seen. So, how can you fix it?
  • Install more RAM (RAM is cheap, this is your best upgrade right now)
  • Close out any unneeded programs (this includes your streaming software, for now)
The issue is that you have convinced yourself the problem is with the packs/windows and aren't willing to accept that your system is no longer able to run and stream the latest packs at the same time. Streaming itself is a very system intensive process and it's leaving your game RAM starved now that modern packs need that much more RAM to run.

As for the tone and language used in your posts, bear in mind that profanity is not allowed on the forums and moderate your language appropriately.

Last edited: