3rd Party Modpack Syncing to Curseforge

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
After much blood, sweat, and tears, we’re finally able to show off a new, heavily requested feature. Today, we are now proudly offering syncing for Third Party Packs to CurseForge. This new process will let you maintain a pack through the normal FTB third party system and have it automagically appear on Curse Voice.

To opt in to this program, first create a CurseForge modpack project using this form. You will need to fill in all the fields, including uploading a square image of at least 400x400 pixels. Reply to your modpack thread with the CurseForge Project ID. This is the approximately 6 digit number that can be found in the url. For example, 231835 is the ID for "http://minecraft.curseforge.com/modpacks/231835-the-hubris-of-magic". We will respond once the pack has been added to the system. It may take up to a few hours for your pack to convert the first time, especially if you have a lot of old versions. Future updates should only take 15-20 minutes.

What will be synced:
  • All existing modpack versions
  • All future modpack versions
  • The current recommended version on the launcher will be marked recommended on the client

What will not be synced:
  • Images
  • Author
  • Description
  • Mod list in the description (unsupported by curse)
  • Server files (unsupported by curse)

If you already have your modpack on the client, you can use the existing Project ID. Versions added on the Curse side will not sync back to the FTB side.

You must have a public modpack, listed or unlisted, to be eligible. Private modpacks are not currently allowed. In standing with our no-profit policy, you may not turn on Curse Reward Points for your project if it goes through this system.

While this system exists, it will allow users to use mods that they have received explicit permission from mod authors to include in modpacks hosted anywhere, but not ones that only allow the FTB launcher

Thank you, and happy modpack building!

Last edited:

null123

Mar 27, 2014
*wince*

One and a half words too many for it to fit on the front news page.

TheDoctorSoda

Jul 29, 2019
How does it work? Are they uploaded to curse using a special FTB Third Party packs account? Also it would be cool if any reward points that could've been made using this went to a charity or something.

EDIT: Ah I see, nevermind me I forgot to read it all.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Also it would be cool if any reward points that could've been made using this went to a charity or something.

Technically, if you don't sign up for reward points, that just means everyone else gets a bit more. Including the mod authors in the pack. So I guess it works out.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
I like the New 3rd Party synce But i Dont See anything what Makes ftb launcher or curse better or wors can someone tell me which is better?

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
So Why do modpacks exist in curse cause you have ftb launcher doing well is There something which tops ftb launcher

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Curse will replace FTB once curse has support for mac and linux IIRC

So, never? They already said several times that there is no plan for a Linux version, not in middle and not in long term. That's why I am fazing out from FTB and already don't play the new packs from Jaded.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
So, never? They already said several times that there is no plan for a Linux version, not in middle and not in long term. That's why I am fazing out from FTB and already don't play the new packs from Jaded.
Hey now... This is not a debate on which launcher is best...

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Hey now... This is not a debate on which launcher is best...

I never said that it was. I am just clarifying the mistake of someone thinking that the curse launcher is being developed to Linux. It isn't. Curse launcher will replace ftblauncher and an "alternative solution" will be made for Linux. This "alternative solution" has yet to be clarified since until now no one said what it would be and it already passed a long time with no clarification on ftb part, unless the alternative solution are those hideous zips that are being offered on some of the packs from third party which is simply almost an insult, and would only add to the thought that Linux is being left behind.

From the 10 most popular modpacks of curseforge only 2 specifically provides support for Linux now and provide the link to download the zip(the ones from jaded), 1 mentions that will have but nothing yet, 3 provides server zips(that can be used for Linux, but only experienced users would know) 2 provides nothing and 2 are also on FTBlauncher, so the lack of curseforge support for Linux is not important as long as the FTBlauncher stills exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: jikuja

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Curse has always said they are planning to try for a linux version if it was feasible. As far as I know, they are still planning that. FTB stands by the declaration that we won't prevent you from playing our packs if you are on a specific OS.

Reactions: Hambeau

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Curse has always said they are planning to try for a linux version if it was feasible. As far as I know, they are still planning that. FTB stands by the declaration that we won't prevent you from playing our packs if you are on a specific OS.

Yeah but the Curse representative was very clear that it wasn't in any plans. He said:

Currently we have no commitment to having the client for this. Some current thoughts for this include a one click download of the entire mod pack, or potentially exposing a limited API for end users to support linux. I'm going to be looking at the statistics to see if I can go to bat for the community and try to get more done officially on our side, but regardless I don't plan to leave those guys completely in the cold.

So a launcher is not on planning, unless you have some new evidence. I would be glad to see it.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
In the past, it's very much been a matter of wanting to do it, but not wanting to commit to it until they knew how possible it was. My latest understanding is that they are moving towards a linux client, but are still unable to commit to it. I personally am fairly confident it will happen.

Reactions: Padfoote

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
In the past, it's very much been a matter of wanting to do it, but not wanting to commit to it until they knew how possible it was. My latest understanding is that they are moving towards a linux client, but are still unable to commit to it. I personally am fairly confident it will happen.

So to summarize, no evidence of anything.

Until stated otherwise you have to say what the official position is, if you don't you'll make unaware people hopeful of something that can never happen. The official and only documented statement is that there is no plan for a Linux launcher. If and when Curse says otherwise is when things will change. Now, gut feelings and hopes is worth nothing for anyone, since saying it may make people take wrong decisions.

If someone heard your non-supported claim that a Linux version is coming they may think that to make a new pack they can use Curse to fully support Linux with parity to Windows and Mac users. When/if curse announces what is the option for Linux and it is a click-once to download a zip kind of thing, they will be disappointed as well as anyone that heard them saying that Linux would be fully supported.

You have to take care with misinformation. If it is only a conjecture you have to say so, because until now I have not found any evidence that a Linux launcher is being planned and until it changes I will continue to act like it is not being made, and everyone else should, be it for the decision of continue to play or make a modpack, be it on the decision to install an OS.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
A quick search shows numerous examples of intending to build a linux client, but not being able to commit to it yet. From my somewhat insider point of view, I'm saying I think it's quite likely, but am still not committing to a linux client(not that I can commit to things for Curse regardless).

This is also somewhat off topic for this thread. Feel free to create a new thread if you want to continue the discussion.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

^This.

Since Linux is based on AT&T Unix and Apple OS? is based on BSD Unix it should be easier to port the client from Mac to Linux than it is from PC to MAC. I personally have not heard plans of dropping Linux support, only that it has a lower priority due to the stats showing lower usage with Minecraft.

Just because there isn't a commitment doesn't mean a Linux client isn't planned... I plan on seeing the new Star Wars movie later this year but can't commit to seeing it because I don't know my future situation.

Also, if you've been around software development at all, even if that bit was only hanging around gaming forums you should know by now that nobody commits... the PC client was already in Alpha before we heard about it. They announced the (rumored) Mac version only after it was in the hands of in-house testers.

Heck, It's a madhouse around here if they say an update will come out on Friday and it doesn't happen! :D

[Edit] I started editing this reply before Watchful's post but had to go help the wife for a bit. Had I seen the post I would've not posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flipz and Padfoote

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, you deleted my answer and I don't have anyway to recover it, so thank you very much...

Now Hambeau is being on topic but I'm not, even tough we are talking about the same thing...

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I've messaged you the contents of your post so you can use it to create a new topic. Any further posts on the subject in this thread will be deleted.