32bit fix for Direwolf20 pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
Yes it is called the FTB Lite2 mod pack. It is a fact I am afraid but the new 1.6 packs are going to require 64bit java which unfortunately means requiring a 64bit os.

I am not saying it is not possible to run the packs on a 32bit os but you will have to start disabling mods like Opis map writer, Biome 'O' Plenty, Ars Magicka 2 and Thaumcraft and possibly more to get it to work.

Ninbyo

Jul 29, 2019
That's a damn shame since it's not an easy fix to upgrade to a 64bit machine for a lot of folks. And lite is... a bit too light for my taste. Telling people to use Lite is not a fix.

The RAM bloat for minecraft has really gotten out of hand imo. It uses an absurd amount, and I know java's memory management is crappy, but it seems like more than that. So many mod developers are reinventing the wheel in their mods and the overhead that is from that is only getting worse as time goes on. Even on my desktop, I see tons of errors fly by in the console and I wonder how many of those are contributing to poor performance on my i5 with 8GBs of RAM, I get better framerates in BF4 than the current DW20 pack.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
That's a damn shame since it's not an easy fix to upgrade to a 64bit machine for a lot of folks. And lite is... a bit too light for my taste. Telling people to use Lite is not a fix.

The RAM bloat for minecraft has really gotten out of hand imo. It uses an absurd amount, and I know java's memory management is crappy, but it seems like more than that. So many mod developers are reinventing the wheel in their mods and the overhead that is from that is only getting worse as time goes on. Even on my desktop, I see tons of errors fly by in the console and I wonder how many of those are contributing to poor performance on my i5 with 8GBs of RAM, I get better framerates in BF4 than the current DW20 pack.

A lot of the errors don't mean anything though. I assume you are using a 64bit os though. It is down to java I am afraid if it was coded in something else the performance would be better and we would most likely not have the 32bit / 64bit issues there are.

Ninbyo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, makes me wish Notch had converted it to C++ or something early on. I'm not a fan of Java's OGL library either after working with it for the last four months. Looks like I'm going to have to retire my laptop as a lazy not wanting to get out of bed minecraft machine.

Even if the errors don't do anything the programmer in me doesn't like seeing all those severe warnings and errors fly by when I start up. It also makes it harder to track down the ones that do mean something in the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.