1000 things to do in Modded mc.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, just noticed that my whole boiler setup stopped working because it blew up 150 blocks from my base. It stopped working 3 days ago, wondered where my power went. >.>
THIS. This is why you always make sure that your boiler system is completely chunkloaded, water input source ideally should be in the same chunk(and if you can't manage that, you need a new source of power anyway), and make sure that your steam storage is chunkloaded as well(if you don't pump it directly out of the thing and into a engine/dynamo, anyway).

And as a reminder, keep your Boilers well away from anything important, and ideally in a blast-proof room. This does not allow for straight lines out, snake those pipes through bedrock if you thought that a straight line out of your "ticking timebomb" room was a good idea.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I just put 3 aqueous accumulators under my boilers (since they're all max size, anyway) and they work fine. Well, that or a pair of EnderIO reservoirs. Preferably the reservoirs, since they don't empty if I accidentally put a sponge module in my force field projector when trying to set up my base's defense systems.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I just put 3 aqueous accumulators under my boilers (since they're all max size, anyway) and they work fine. Well, that or a pair of EnderIO reservoirs. Preferably the reservoirs, since they don't empty if I accidentally put a sponge module in my force field projector when trying to set up my base's defense systems.
EnderIO Reservoirs 4 Lyfe! Man those are useful.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I dont understand why people act as if boilers are essential to keep their machines running. I cant even use up a massive buildcraft oil well in a reasonable amount of time no matter how hard I try. I waste massive amounts of power doing things like melting down cobble with magma crucibles to power a bunch of IC2 geothermals. Its just never been hard to generate power with these mods so the boiler just seems pointless. It just sits there eating up everything and doesnt even look cool.

So theres my submission. Use up a buildcraft oil well in 20 minutes. And not just by storing power in a bunch of cells.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I dont understand why people act as if boilers are essential to keep their machines running. I cant even use up a massive buildcraft oil well in a reasonable amount of time no matter how hard I try. I waste massive amounts of power doing things like melting down cobble with magma crucibles to power a bunch of IC2 geothermals. Its just never been hard to generate power with these mods so the boiler just seems pointless. It just sits there eating up everything and doesnt even look cool.

So theres my submission. Use up a buildcraft oil well in 20 minutes. And not just by storing power in a bunch of cells.

Apparently you don't build big enough stuff :)

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
I dont understand why people act as if boilers are essential to keep their machines running. I cant even use up a massive buildcraft oil well in a reasonable amount of time no matter how hard I try.
A bucket of fuel in a fully heated 1LP boiler lasts over 2 hours, IIRC, so lol.
I use it to power a MultiFarm.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Is it REALLY that hard to build fail-safe mechanisms into your power rooms?
If my water supply drops out I have a block breaker set to 'disable' the water pipe.
---Build a safe boiler house with water being fed from over 128 blocks---
(does anyone else think boiler explosions are a little underpowered?)

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Is it REALLY that hard to build fail-safe mechanisms into your power rooms?
If my water supply drops out I have a block breaker set to 'disable' the water pipe.
---Build a safe boiler house with water being fed from over 128 blocks---
(does anyone else think boiler explosions are a little underpowered?)
'
I think its dumb that most machines don't explode on screwup. But thats just me.
(I mean if you screw up you should be punished)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
'
I think its dumb that most machines don't explode on screwup. But thats just me.
I just don't think that it's done well, currently. I mean, Boilers, yes, duh: water + hot boiler = steam; water + hot, dry boiler = earth shattering kaboom.

But electrical devices? It's more like: Correct energy supply + machine that uses electricity = shit gets done; too much energy being supplied + machine that uses electricity = melted machine at worst, have to replace a fuse or a few fuses at best; electricity sent through cables + cables graded this much power = smooth sailing; electricity sent through cables + cables are too weak for this much power = some melted cables, maybe a fire if you're unlucky as hell.(but if a fire does break out, water only makes this situation worse, but smothering it doesn't result in a much bigger fire, but once the fire has spread beyond the electrical stuff, water is fine as it's no longer a Type C fire but rather just a Type A assuming that you don't have tons of oil or petroleum based fuels lying in the open, then it's Type B, and if your fire involves a open flame and combustible metals, you're fucked as Type D fires are hell to put out unless you have a Type D solution, such as simply removing the source of Oxidizer, aka smother it with sand to prevent air from reaching it and pray that no physical oxidizers are under/in that sand)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
'

I'm all one for consequences- within reason.
Its awesome that IC2 machine blow up; but being an instant blast can be unfair- I'd love a [short] delay between overload and blast- even better with some sound/particle effects.
(for something like sending 40Eu/t down a low voltage line, very easily done but you'd get a fair shot at saving something. Send 8kEu down the LV line and you've earned that crator).
Though with IC2 its easy to implement and understand; you know exactly how much power is generated/outputted, and the exact limits of all your equipment.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019

Meh, a boiler is just super easy to make and maintain so I just go for it. It's really just a simple manner of Blast Furnace --> bunch of steel --> boiler. And a basic tree farm would keep it supplied as well as giving you wood which you need anyway.

Reactions: kaovalin

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't think that it's done well, currently. I mean, Boilers, yes, duh: water + hot boiler = steam; water + hot, dry boiler = earth shattering kaboom.

But electrical devices? It's more like: Correct energy supply + machine that uses electricity = shit gets done; too much energy being supplied + machine that uses electricity = melted machine at worst, have to replace a fuse or a few fuses at best; electricity sent through cables + cables graded this much power = smooth sailing; electricity sent through cables + cables are too weak for this much power = some melted cables, maybe a fire if you're unlucky as hell.(but if a fire does break out, water only makes this situation worse, but smothering it doesn't result in a much bigger fire, but once the fire has spread beyond the electrical stuff, water is fine as it's no longer a Type C fire but rather just a Type A assuming that you don't have tons of oil or petroleum based fuels lying in the open, then it's Type B, and if your fire involves a open flame and combustible metals, you're fucked as Type D fires are hell to put out unless you have a Type D solution, such as simply removing the source of Oxidizer, aka smother it with sand to prevent air from reaching it and pray that no physical oxidizers are under/in that sand)
Agreed. People argue for machine explosions for "Realism", but don't understand that machines don't explode when you overload them.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. People argue for machine explosions for "Realism", but don't understand that machines don't explode when you overload them.

Agreed. When IC2 comes out with breaker boxes and replacable fuses I'll consider it realistic.

Thing#Something) Build a mountain out of camoflag, qcraft, and tinker's bridges that retract, fade away, or disapear to reveal the bare bones scafolding of your base like a skeleton, and go back to completely mask it from looking man made when you aren't around.

Reactions: PierceSG

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012

As someone who actually overloaded a couple of machines- they normally melt instead of exploding. Its not so much realism as gameplay, its far easier to explain/play/heck even build the mod if the machine simply explodes instead of adding all the melted/burnt out blocks/items for every machine.

(However you can explode if you overload by a stupid amount- IC2 has bigger blasts for bigger cock-ups)

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who actually overloaded a couple of machines- they normally melt instead of exploding. Its not so much realism as gameplay, its far easier to explain/play/heck even build the mod if the machine simply explodes instead of adding all the melted/burnt out blocks/items for every machine.

(However you can explode if you overload by a stupid amount- IC2 has bigger blasts for bigger cock-ups)

Well it could have metadata that handles the switch "is burnt out" and have a msg that pops up when you try to open the GUI that instead says "machine burnt out, replace fuse"

Reactions: PierceSG