1.7 Stability

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I think we're both talking about the same thing. Sort of.

Yes, DW20 is generalized and all-inclusive, but... *sigh* I sound like a broken record. I know I'm not the only one tired of DW20. I can't be.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Try Modsauce on the Atlauncher for a good group pack that can be added to. I have always liked to play with all the mods. Why not really? I mean having to many mods? That is not a condition especially with no Ids anymore. :p

Also imho the FTB 1.7.10 packs seem a bit small and... boring at the moment at least for me. Agr skies 2 will be awesome though!

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Well, everyone is tired of FTB Monster as well, that's not why most people play SMP.
Big difference between the two is one pack has spanned multiple versions of MC while still remaining relatively unchanged.

Monster at least had a fresh smell to it.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, then even ask yourself why we upgrade to different versions, despite losing our worlds? 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and I plan to in 1.7...

TiCo, AE, TE, then whatever from there on.

All we upgrade for is new features. Everything else remains relatively the same. The small little new features are what we come back for. Though, some mods go through a large overhaul (TC3/4 for example), largely, the bread and butter of what we do remains the same.

Thus, it really isn't about having a new modpack. It's also why I don't really understand these points of view.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Well, then even ask yourself why we upgrade to different versions, despite losing our worlds? 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and I plan to in 1.7...

Because of the pervasive belief that higher version number = better. This is true in many facets of our life. We are conditioned to go to the stores and buy the next big thing as consumers, so it makes sense that this behavior would carry on to things such as Minecraft. :)

"...so what if my iphone 5 still works fine, 6 is one number higher!!11shift1"

I mean, really, other than the fabled performance fixes... why should we jump to 1.8? bunnies make it worth? screw the underwater temple imo.

edit: and yeah, it's not really about having a "new" modpacks, but it's all related somewhat. new isn't always better, but a little bit of change can be.

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
It's more the new mods than the new features of existing mods for me.

Yes. This is the reason..

My computer could never play the monster pack. It's just too many darn mods. With the slightly more focused packs, I have no issues running them. I personally have moved off of 1.6.4, and am running a custom 1.7.10 pack. I built this primarily due to the new Thaumcraft, but have expanded it to include a variety of magic based mods (Blood Magic, Witchery, Botania) along with forestry, railcraft and buildcraft (they are kinda tech-y, but not overly so.) I find with TE and AE available to me, I build the same exact setups because they are reliable and so easy to create. With these mods missing from my current pack, I'm having to find all new ways of playing the game and getting the resources I need. This has caused me to need to think a way around the issues I have. I would never have done this with a include-all-things pack simply because there is no reason to have to. Also with a focused pack, the pack maintainer can balance the play through much more thoroughly. It's hard balancing a pack like Monster. There are so many ways to do something and along with the cross-mod interaction, a few ways to exploit (or significantly outperform) other building options, that even with all the options, people still bring it down to just a few types of builds.

I never played with BM until AgS, and I have never played with Botania until my custom pack. Magic World 2 was my first exposure to Witchery, and Magic Farm 2 was Pam's Harvestcraft and Hunger Overhaul. All of these packs I've played were due to it having one or two mods I was familiar with as well as several new (to me) mods that looked interesting. The next mods on my list to try out are Reika's mods (rotarycraft primarily) as well as Professor Flaxbeard's SatanicSanta's Wondrous Steam Power Mod. I'm just waiting for someone to put together a steampunk inspired modpack showcasing it (Steam Power Mod).

The new mods are what keep me enjoying and playing Minecraft. I had stopped playing Minecraft for almost a year at one point as there really wasn't anything "new". It was simply buildcraft, railcraft, forestry, IC2, redpower and their new versions. Now, there are so many wonderful mods, I have enough to keep me entertained for quite some time.

This is kinda the reason there will never be another "show" like "Wrenched". There is no longer a "core" set of mods that everyone should know. The mods have simply gotten too diverse for this to be a possibility again. Trying to include all the mods will simply create a pack that only the most powerful computers can play which would rule out a significant portion of the FTB community.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The new mods are what keep me enjoying and playing Minecraft. I had stopped playing Minecraft for almost a year at one point as there really wasn't anything "new". It was simply buildcraft, railcraft, forestry, IC2, redpower and their new versions.
There were quite a few more, but I do see your point.
Professor Flaxbeard's SatanicSanta's Wondrous Steam Power Mod. I'm just waiting for someone to put together a steampunk inspired modpack showcasing it (Steam Power Mod).
It's still Flaxbeard's name-wise :p

For the pack, I recommend just making your own with other very overlooked mods, such as Witchery, Twilight Forest, and Railcraft.

Reactions: RedBoss

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Also with a focused pack, the pack maintainer can balance the play through much more thoroughly. It's hard balancing a pack like Monster. There are so many ways to do something and along with the cross-mod interaction, a few ways to exploit (or significantly outperform) other building options, that even with all the options, people still bring it down to just a few types of builds.
This was touched on earlier. I don't think you are necessarily advocating for balance. Balance is nigh impossible in modded. It sounds to me like the "balance" you seek is more like an illuminated path for you to follow; more of a route of progression.

People bring it down to the same few types of builds because they've built a mental barrier. They discovered a method of doing something, discovered it was good/efficient/whatever, and then for whatever reason they STOP trying to discover other, different methods...which blows my mind. Minecraft is all about discovery. Your design is never finished, never optimal. There is always a better way, no matter what aspect of the game we're talking about, or which (if any) mod is involved.

The appeal of an all of the things pack lies in SMP, not so much in single player, because of community involvement. For example, you don't like doing thaumcraft but still want golems? no big deal, there's a dirty wizard on the server that does and will gladly sell you what you're looking for. This is just one example, but with more "things" come more opportunities because of community, if you know what I mean.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
And with that, the lack of Ultimate/Unleashed/Monster-ish all-inclusive modpacks... We are sorta missing out on the "all the new things" type of deal are we not? This is also another point.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
This was touched on earlier. I don't think you are necessarily advocating for balance. Balance is nigh impossible in modded. It sounds to me like the "balance" you seek is more like an illuminated path for you to follow; more of a route of progression.

No, I was actually talking about balance. But not true balance where each method has exactly the same "cost" to do a process, but that there is a balanced feel to the mod pack. (I know that this is subjective.) Going down a magical path to achieve your goals, or going down several of the technical ones, each can achieve the end result without necessarily one route being the absolute "best" like you say below.

People bring it down to the same few types of builds because they've built a mental barrier. They discovered a method of doing something, discovered it was good/efficient/whatever, and then for whatever reason they STOP trying to discover other, different methods...which blows my mind. Minecraft is all about discovery. Your design is never finished, never optimal. There is always a better way, no matter what aspect of the game we're talking about, or which (if any) mod is involved.

Exactly!

The appeal of an all of the things pack lies in SMP, not so much in single player, because of community involvement. For example, you don't like doing thaumcraft but still want golems? no big deal, there's a dirty wizard on the server that does and will gladly sell you what you're looking for. This is just one example, but with more "things" come more opportunities because of community, if you know what I mean.

I do. But an all things pack is just simply too large now. My computer was considered a top of the line about 6 years ago, but even with a discrete video card, I can't play monster. It's just too laggy. There have been so many new mods as of late, if you try and include them into an all the things pack, very few would be capable of playing it. It will take a good modpack curator to create a mixed SMP environment that gives all the different play styles an opportunity to shine and is fun, yet still make a pack that can run reasonably well on the computers people are using. Inevitably some mod will have to be left out. Whichever mods are left out, people will complain that X isn't in there, and without it they can't play the pack as they depend on it. It's really a no-win situation to be in.

There may be some sort of SMP themed modpack made by the FTB team, but it can no way be an all-the-things pack like it was before.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
No, I was actually talking about balance. But not true balance where each method has exactly the same "cost" to do a process, but that there is a balanced feel to the mod pack. (I know that this is subjective.) Going down a magical path to achieve your goals, or going down several of the technical ones, each can achieve the end result without necessarily one route being the absolute "best" like you say below.
Good luck achieving that with different mod authors allowing different levels of muckery within their mod. I have yet to see anything even approaching what you are describing. Some things would be utterly impossible to "balance" in terms of cost, because Cost is a funny word like that. There's more than just material cost.

I mentioned on another post something about self-control, creativity, and all that. It really does say something when one simply cannot prevent themselves from going down the easiest path. To be honest, the things that excite me personally are finding cross mod exploits that are totally ridiculous. That's partially what I was talking about in the 2nd paragraph you quoted. This thread is full of them, and people discover more every day. It's almost like secret, arcane knowledge. Either you dig for it ingame, experiment, and find it, or you don't even know it exists. This isn't to say I play exploit games, it's more like, "Oh wow that was crazy, but so hax..." and here again, gotta have that self control to know when too much is too much, and burn it to the ground.

Sandbox gives a lot of control to the player as to how the game is played. I'm just not sure I myself would be interested in a pack where everything has the exact same cost, gives the exact same output, etc.. sounds kind of boring, imo.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
For the record, 1.7 seems to me like the best version of modded minecraft I have played yet. Im not sure if its due to fastcraft or not but the game performance is so good.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Not having a Monster pack doesn't really bother me. Even after playing forever, there were tons of mods I never touched. All they did was make the game run slower. Best thing you can do is wait for Unstable to be out of testing and then add any mods you like that aren't included. You still may run into a potion effect conflict, but at least there will be no ID conflicts to worry about. Only other thing you may want to do is turn off some mods duplicate ores.

Reactions: Wagon153