[1.7.10 | Unlisted] Obscurity - Jampacked 2 Winner

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
How do we get 4 bedrock for the Quest? Also in the same Quest it say you can craft a Jack'O'Lantern with 4 torch's but the recipe/nei calls for 8? Is that a bug, because 8 torch's are a lot for as rare(at least for me) that ore that is used to craft them.

Reactions: SnowShock35

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
How do we get 4 bedrock for the Quest? Also in the same Quest it say you can craft a Jack'O'Lantern with 4 torch's but the recipe/nei calls for 8? Is that a bug, because 8 torch's are a lot for as rare(at least for me) that ore that is used to craft them.

Are you using the latest version of the pack? I thought both of these were fixed in 1.1.10

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using the latest version of the pack? I thought both of these were fixed in 1.1.10

I thought the I got the latest version on FTB.lol I guess it wasn't. They only have 1.1.9. I will update with the link on here, sorry about that. Thank You.

Edit: I guess not, the link is dead:(

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
I thought the I got the latest version on FTB.lol I guess it wasn't. They only have 1.1.9. I will update with the link on here, sorry about that. Thank You.
Yeah unfortunately the launcher takes time to update. Your best bet is to use the manual versions from here :)

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
I see that the Jack o Lantern is still 8 torch's in the newest version of the pack. Was it being change to 4 torch's, or was that in next version? or was it decided that it was staying the same?

Last edited:

SnowShock35

FTB Pack Developer
Feb 27, 2014
United Kingdom
snowshock35.com
I see that the Jack o Lantern is still 8 torch's in the newest version of the pack. Was it being change to 4 torch's, or was that in next version? or was it decided that it was staying the same?
It's staying as 8 torches but which we might need to update the quest book on. Whether or not we will make it so they drop again we don't know as of yet

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
I can say making Steel with coal dust in the Smeltery is NOT at all the best way.lol Just to melt coal I have had to fill the tank/lava twice now. I should have stopped, but I already used up so much lava:p

So what is the best light source in this pack? I know Jack'o Lanterns are good, but I am growing punkins faster than I can make torches. After an hour of slow mining I only mined 23 torches worth of ore/dust. Also I haven't played in the deep dark much at all and was wondering if there was anything that protects you from the dark besides light? Armor, something in your hotbar, etc? Thanks for any advice, and would be a huge help.

Last edited:

purgury

Jul 29, 2019
The best lighting I have found that is cheaper then Jack O Lanterns is Lava, I carry 2 buckets of it with me. I dig a hole, drop in the lava, and mine, when I get the next area I want to mine, I drop the next bucket of lava, then go scoop up the old lava from the last area

SnowShock35

FTB Pack Developer
Feb 27, 2014
United Kingdom
snowshock35.com
The best lighting I have found that is cheaper then Jack O Lanterns is Lava, I carry 2 buckets of it with me. I dig a hole, drop in the lava, and mine, when I get the next area I want to mine, I drop the next bucket of lava, then go scoop up the old lava from the last area
Haha soon lava will no longer be a viable light source me hahaha. Also a quick note the whole lighting system is going to be changed eventually so it works better but for now torches jack o lanterns nitor hyperenergetic nitor gaseous glowstone are the best options I can think of ;)

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Should be fixed now.

Here's my issue tracker if anyone feels like reporting it. I think Snow mentioned it on IRC a while ago, but I was on my phone, so I couldn't write down everything he said.
I didnt reported anything since I was using developer versions of the mod and was getting different errors on the client(something about squidUtils) and the server (about TE fluids) so I was not sure if it was even caused by SquidUtils... And even if it was, it is a developer version so the chances of stuff breaking because of half implemented features is high and its annoying having people reporting bugs of half backed versions. At least, it is for me.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
If you are only trying to avoid the dark damage, keep in mind how the dark damage mechanic works.

It only gives damage below light level 5 and only after a few time after you have been in the dark. The amount of time depends on how much time you spent in the light.

Taking this in account, unless its in my base, I have my light sources far away from each other so I would end up with 3 blocks with light level below 5. Since I will be moving, I will only be there for less then a second.
That allows me to have my light sources 16 blocks away from each other, if I recall correctly. Doing this, you save a lot in light sources!

gamermsn

Jul 29, 2019
torches don't give off any light so what other lights source are there for early game. the torches on light up the square there on and nothing else. and i know you start with the anti mob torch thingy but thats hard to remake so what else is there

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
torches don't give off any light so what other lights source are there for early game. the torches on light up the square there on and nothing else. and i know you start with the anti mob torch thingy but thats hard to remake so what else is there
Have you lit the torches either in a furnace or with a Flint and steel?

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
No,but they aren't the unlit torches or does that matter

I'm wondering that myself. I didn't know you could re-lite torches in a furnace. My biggest issue is how rare the stuff that you need to craft them is. Not really an issue, just stressful and even thou I have only used lava as a light source once I guess it's being changed.