[1.7.10 | Unlisted] Obscurity - Jampacked 2 Winner

Utdano

Jul 29, 2019
First post says that is not yet available on the launchers and only for manual download...

When that first post was made, the launcher code did not work in FTB at all as the FTB team hadn't approved the pack. Now the launcher code adds the modpack but it can't be seen as playable. It really is something that should be looked at.

Reactions: SnowShock35

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
so ur first steel. It was most likely in another topic that has nothing to do with this pack but iirc the smeltery doesn't get hot enough to actually melt the pulverized coal, so do you have to actually go down the route of making a magmatic and pipe into smeltery to make that steel? I don't have gold yet so can't make an induction smelter, hell don't have ferrous either :) but I watched my pulverized coal sit there in smeltery doing nothing for some time.

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
When that first post was made, the launcher code did not work in FTB at all as the FTB team hadn't approved the pack. Now the launcher code adds the modpack but it can't be seen as playable. It really is something that should be looked at.

The first post has been edited to reflect the recent standing. When a bug was found we were forced to remove the pack from the launcher, it will still say it has been added as the issue is being fixed and hopefully re-released.

We have been looking at the issue and have decided to keep the pack as manual for the time being until issues are fixed and a stable release is available

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
so ur first steel. It was most likely in another topic that has nothing to do with this pack but iirc the smeltery doesn't get hot enough to actually melt the pulverized coal, so do you have to actually go down the route of making a magmatic and pipe into smeltery to make that steel? I don't have gold yet so can't make an induction smelter, hell don't have ferrous either :) but I watched my pulverized coal sit there in smeltery doing nothing for some time.

What exactly are you trying to get steel for?
One option the bug testers are using is melting chainmail down, another is by using blazing pyrotheum in the smeltery which will get it hot enough.

Some people have just made induction smelters, and the quest book does have plenty of info so try seeing if it has anything to say about it

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
What exactly are you trying to get steel for?
One option the bug testers are using is melting chainmail down, another is by using blazing pyrotheum in the smeltery which will get it hot enough.

Some people have just made induction smelters, and the quest book does have plenty of info so try seeing if it has anything to say about it
I really wanted torches :) I'm still in the first chapter, whittling away quests but wanted to do a bunch of mining and w/o torches, seemed a bit of a stretch.

I guess I'm just trying to get ahead of the quests. was the blazing pyro mentioned here in this topic? I thought I saw a mention of it but scanned all the pages and didn't find anything.

I seemed to be at an impasse tho since I can't make machines since I don't have any gold nor ferrous, nor steel for EIO, don't have alot of torches at this point cept ones that I get from quest rewards, and w/o a flint/steel, can't move torches that I do place. I'll just do some more quests and see where that leads me.

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
I really wanted torches :) I'm still in the first chapter, whittling away quests but wanted to do a bunch of mining and w/o torches, seemed a bit of a stretch.

I guess I'm just trying to get ahead of the quests. was the blazing pyro mentioned here in this topic? I thought I saw a mention of it but scanned all the pages and didn't find anything.

I seemed to be at an impasse tho since I can't make machines since I don't have any gold nor ferrous, nor steel for EIO, don't have alot of torches at this point cept ones that I get from quest rewards, and w/o a flint/steel, can't move torches that I do place. I'll just do some more quests and see where that leads me.

The quest book does do quite a good job of leading you through to getting enough materials to progress.

I got the blazing pyro idea from the other beta testers (we are all in a group chat together)

JohnnyMobbins

Jul 29, 2019

You should have got your first flint and steel as a reward?

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
You should have got your first flint and steel as a reward?
I've finished quite a few quests so far but have not gotten any as reward

I did however get lucky mining in spurts/directions and finally got down to bedrock and lucked out to find a bunch of tiny lava pools casting light near there, used redstone torches and made a few tanks with one bucket of lava in them placed strategically

have my machines. thus made my first steel with induction smelter

edit/update:
so now that I was able to make alot more torches, I went back to try and finish that resource quest (still looking for more than the one shiny ore I've found so far) I came upon a realization of sorts (note: this is very tongue in cheek): It's as if this pack is a conservationalist pack to all the ppl that make ender quarries in the deep dark with world hole upgrade and walk away like I usually do.

I tend to make 30x30 chunk ender quarries with worldhole and all the speed upgrades but screw the fluid transfer ones and leave these enormous areas of floating water/lava everywhere, only going back to dd to add ender pearls to the anchor and check on progress. I think when I first played with Exu I mined around the dd a tiny bit but said nope to the darkness and the hassles dealing with it and never looked back. all these pockets of lava. Finding myself keeping every odd one around and not bucketing the lava or putting a block since it emits light. It's bizzarre being in an area I tend to automate and having to dig out stuff by hand.

btw, I got lucky and got a 'massive'? (not biggest one) compact machine in a reward bag.

I am still living on top of the pedastal that you start at with one diamonded mid size cm you get from initial quest and am placing the other cm's inside of it. I assume once I've accumulated enough raw mats I'll build something down below but I am totally living the dw20 life. 9x94Life!

edit 2 almost 2 mins after finishing last edit. well crap. lavamonsters is in this pack. well. umm nm what I said about keeping lava around (as he goes to get his grave)

Last edited:

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Separate question, moving along quest wise, got the seeds and went to plant the crops. made a watering can to speed things along and noticed that the carrots, potatoes and even the sugarcane are helped by the watering can but the wheat isn't. Is this intended?

edit: yeah, don't understand, I was patient but once it grew on it's own, the wheat allowed the watering can to assist, dunno why it needed that time up front to do it's own magic when the other crops saw immediate benefit from the watering can

Last edited:

thekazador

Jul 29, 2019
i think the new system of torchs unbalance the quest rewards, at least at the start for torchs, we allways choice torchs of rewards if we cant make it at the start. Im little disappointed with this new system. You have lot of choices to make torch more complex but you make this in high tier.
btw you can make chisel torch from chisel 2 and can grab it without break.

JohnnyMobbins

Jul 29, 2019
Separate question, moving along quest wise, got the seeds and went to plant the crops. made a watering can to speed things along and noticed that the carrots, potatoes and even the sugarcane are helped by the watering can but the wheat isn't. Is this intended?

edit: yeah, don't understand, I was patient but once it grew on it's own, the wheat allowed the watering can to assist, dunno why it needed that time up front to do it's own magic when the other crops saw immediate benefit from the watering can

Yeah we have been testing the crop behavior, We have noticed some strange behavior but then again it all seems to be working on. Main thing to check is that you have sufficient light level (torches wont grow int the DD at the current light level.

The next update will fix a lot of these issues and also explain your options much better. I would expect it to be finished and out by the end of the week.

As you have provided such great feed back feel free to PM me and i will include you in the test team. You will have access to quick fixes and also private discussion with Snow and Myself and the other testers.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
is the mini portal explained at some point in the questline? seems it's used to make nether gate and saw a quest to make an ender chest but requires blaze rods, etc...

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
edit 2 almost 2 mins after finishing last edit. well crap. lavamonsters is in this pack. well. umm nm what I said about keeping lava around (as he goes to get his grave)

Almost exact same feeling but I didnt died. Was all happy, lava pools are awesome lights and suddenly... lava monsters! Yeah... crap!

But... they are useful. Lava monsters will only spawn on 2 depth lava pools. Shallow lava does not spawn them.

JohnnyMobbins

Jul 29, 2019
Almost exact same feeling but I didnt died. Was all happy, lava pools are awesome lights and suddenly... lava monsters! Yeah... crap!

But... they are useful. Lava monsters will only spawn on 2 depth lava pools. Shallow lava does not spawn them.
Ah ha! There you go. Punishment for trying to abuse lava for light! Kudos to SnowShock for that one!

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
gateway to hell - first item is 'invalid item' that you get for it, second is stack of nether quartz. whatever first one is, it's invalid now.

is the mini portal item something that uses up durability when you use it or one use? the warning was a little ominous

also, not 100% sure how I'm supposed to make bedrock.

edit - not nether gate, confused by the pits of hell

Last edited:

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
gateway to hell - first item is 'invalid item' that you get for it, second is stack of nether quartz. whatever first one is, it's invalid now.

is the mini portal item something that uses up durability when you use it or one use? the warning was a little ominous

also, not 100% sure how I'm supposed to make bedrock.

edit - not nether gate, confused by the pits of hell

Thanks for letting us know, I'll add these to our bug tracker and get them fixed :)

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
So... I was getting really frustrated with my search for shiny ore so I decide to do a little map analysis..

Using cofh tools, I removed all the shiny ores in a square radius of 100 blocks from me. That is an 200x200 area. Since it can spawn from y level 5 to 30, that is a volume of 200x200x25 which is 1 million blocks!!!

It only removed 101 blocks! In 1 million blocks there are 101 shiny ore blocks! That is 0,01%!!

Dont you think the spawn chance needs a little boost? Its not like its going to break it to much since there is enough ferrous to get shiny ore later.
Or maybe other ores need a little nerf so more stone is available to spawn, since the chance should actually be 0,04% (3 blocks in a 16x16x25 volume) but with so many non-stone blocks, it just fails to spawn them.

The problem is all the progress that is halted in the quest book while we try to get the 10 shiny blocks. I could start building machines and all the stuff but I would rather do the normal progression with the quest book instead of finding the 10 blocks in a couple of days and suddenly unlock 20 already completed quests...

The only downside is the requirement for a world reset, since the retrogen just did nothing to me...

ps: While at it, also check lapis... is spawn rate is also kinda low... maybe due to the high density of other ores too...