[1.7.10] TerraFiramaTech [Alpha] - TerraFirmaCraft and GregTech Modpack

Suterusu

Jul 29, 2019
We have tried over 8 hours of this Mod Pack on a dedicated server. Playing with version 0.9.9

The chunk generation is causing the server to die, especially if more than one player is exploring at any one time. The CPU load of chunk generation is extreme, and it forces the server game loop into chunk generationc causing all the players to be kicked.

Forge report Can't keep up! Times as high as 180,000ms during chunk generation. I tried using FE WB to pregenerate chunks for the server, it does not help as the moment a player enters an unloaded chunk, the server starts kicking people.

I have plenty of other instances of MC servers on dedicated hardware running fine (BTP, BR, etc.), Beyond Reality including Greg Tech as well.

I've tried Forge 1272, 1277, Java 1.8_11, 1.8_25

Xeon 1245v2
24GB RAM to Java process (this pack consumes so much RAM, even with few players)
Dual SSD in RAID

Dolinmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Tried with 8, 16, etc. It fills up very quickly on this pack it seems, at least in SMP

I haven't had it take more then 2gb in SSP. You did make sure to remove all the non SMP mods? I will tweak this over the next few days as I am currently at work, but i have tomorrow and tuesday off. So i will mess with it and see if i can get a stable server running then add that to the launcher for the next update. That is really weird that it is freaking out.

Suterusu

Jul 29, 2019
Dolinmyster, I am interested in getting this pack up and running in SMP. If it helps you at all, I can lend you use of a dedicated server for testing.

Dolinmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Dolinmyster, I am interested in getting this pack up and running in SMP. If it helps you at all, I can lend you use of a dedicated server for testing.

I've got my own dedicated box. Just not using at ATM. But i will gladly boot it up. I was just waiting to get this thing somewhat stable before I worked on a SMP pack. I will start to work on it if people are interested in SMP for sure! It is at a point that I think it's mostly stable and ready for me to move it out of an "Alpha" phase. I'll start working on getting it together so it can be played on a server. I know GT will cause a server to dry heave for a bit before it settles down, Just got to make sure you have all the config files. I'll mess around with it in the up coming week and hopefully have a build ready by EOW. I'll report back once it's ready and get it pushed to the FTB Launcher ASAP. Thanks again for the interest!

Netherus

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like a nice pack! I just love gregtech xD and combined with TFC this should be interesting.

Ps: this thread's name reads terrafiramatech :)

Last edited:

feralferret

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought I'd drop in and say that I'm really enjoying this pack. I've never really gone too far into either Terrafirmacraft or Gregtech so this has been an eye-opening, fun experience. Thanks for taking the time to make this. :)

drgnmstr128

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to play and record this, but I've been having some problems with the world freezing for a while. It appears to be either whenever I generate new chunks or unload old chunks, although I doubt it's the unloading. I don't mean the game freezes I mean the world. It acts like I've lost connection to the server even though I'm playing single player. Anything I break doesn't drop, any items on the ground can't be picked up, and any items I place don't make the placing sound, meaning the server hasn't recognized them being placed. I can't drop anything and items don't despawn after five minutes.

I've tried testing in a new world, reinstalling, and running on adifferent machine, the problem is still there. I'm running it with two gigs af ram allocated through the FTB launcher, I've installed fastcraft and uninstalled Tails, Inventory Tweaks, and Morpheus. I tested whether it was one of the mods that change world gen besides TFC (Custom Ore Generation, Gregtech, Applied Energistics, Blue Power, and Buildcraft) by removing just it and loading a copy of the world and nothing changed. I also tried removing OPIS and installed JourneyMap thinking the minimap writing to itself could cause it.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or further questions because I was really enjoying playing this pack up until this point and want to start again.

Dolinmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to play and record this, but I've been having some problems with the world freezing for a while. It appears to be either whenever I generate new chunks or unload old chunks, although I doubt it's the unloading. I don't mean the game freezes I mean the world. It acts like I've lost connection to the server even though I'm playing single player. Anything I break doesn't drop, any items on the ground can't be picked up, and any items I place don't make the placing sound, meaning the server hasn't recognized them being placed. I can't drop anything and items don't despawn after five minutes.

I've tried testing in a new world, reinstalling, and running on adifferent machine, the problem is still there. I'm running it with two gigs af ram allocated through the FTB launcher, I've installed fastcraft and uninstalled Tails, Inventory Tweaks, and Morpheus. I tested whether it was one of the mods that change world gen besides TFC (Custom Ore Generation, Gregtech, Applied Energistics, Blue Power, and Buildcraft) by removing just it and loading a copy of the world and nothing changed. I also tried removing OPIS and installed JourneyMap thinking the minimap writing to itself could cause it.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or further questions because I was really enjoying playing this pack up until this point and want to start again.

So here are my settings on MultiMC which i use to build and test the pack. http://puu.sh/epehn/d96104e48b.png I don't actually use the FTB Launcher at all >.< And as long as you have Fastcraft installed it should be pretty good. I have random lag spikes, but they tend to go away. I love and use Journey map on most other Modded stuff i play, But due to the pack being quite intensive on your system, i decided to go with OPIS since mapwriter is pretty light weight. I find JM tends to create lag since how it writes files and also has the webserver function built into it. Tails if anything would just cause you to have FPS drops since it is just visual stuff. Honestly, This pack for me eats up 2 gigs of ram really fast. Try allocating more to it and see if that helps out much. Here are also my system specs. http://puu.sh/epgYx/feb878a7f1.png I'm also rocking an old Nvidia 680 pushing to a 2560x1440 res monitor. Honestly, GT alone tends to be laggy as heck. I've tested just a GT world and it tends to create lag all on its own with ore gen. So i'm not sure if it's a combination thing of GT and COG maybe messing with it. TFC has it's own ore gen, GT also replaces all other ore gen in the game. So there is so many things going on it's hard to tell. I've been really digging into the configs trying to tweak them the best i could. Also, i just checked it. Just starting it up it uses 2gb of ram. http://puu.sh/epiXz/515cc2293f.jpg This is just in the menu not even with the game running. So i would strongly advise running it with a min of 3gb of ram from that. 4 for omptimal since that is what i test with. Hope some of that helps. Let me know what you figure out.

Suterusu

Jul 29, 2019

This kind of sounds like the SMP issues we were having, the chunk gen kills our server and boots everyone :\

drgnmstr128

Jul 29, 2019
So here are my settings on MultiMC which i use to build and test the pack. http://puu.sh/epehn/d96104e48b.png I don't actually use the FTB Launcher at all >.< And as long as you have Fastcraft installed it should be pretty good. I have random lag spikes, but they tend to go away. I love and use Journey map on most other Modded stuff i play, But due to the pack being quite intensive on your system, i decided to go with OPIS since mapwriter is pretty light weight. I find JM tends to create lag since how it writes files and also has the webserver function built into it. Tails if anything would just cause you to have FPS drops since it is just visual stuff. Honestly, This pack for me eats up 2 gigs of ram really fast. Try allocating more to it and see if that helps out much. Here are also my system specs. http://puu.sh/epgYx/feb878a7f1.png I'm also rocking an old Nvidia 680 pushing to a 2560x1440 res monitor. Honestly, GT alone tends to be laggy as heck. I've tested just a GT world and it tends to create lag all on its own with ore gen. So i'm not sure if it's a combination thing of GT and COG maybe messing with it. TFC has it's own ore gen, GT also replaces all other ore gen in the game. So there is so many things going on it's hard to tell. I've been really digging into the configs trying to tweak them the best i could. Also, i just checked it. Just starting it up it uses 2gb of ram. http://puu.sh/epiXz/515cc2293f.jpg This is just in the menu not even with the game running. So i would strongly advise running it with a min of 3gb of ram from that. 4 for omptimal since that is what i test with. Hope some of that helps. Let me know what you figure out.

Alright, so I switched over to MultiMC thinking what the heck, anything could make a difference. It didn't. what did make a difference was bumping up the PermGen to 512 from the default 64. I'm still getting the world lag spike in the same location whenever I test in a copy of my world, but it passed in about twenty seconds instead of nothing happening for twenty minutes. Thanks for the help man. I'm so happy I can play this again :D

--Edit. Okay, so apparently it was switching to MultiMC because I forgot that I had already changed PermGen to 512m in the FTB Launcher. nopt really sure what interaction would cause that.

Last edited:

drgnmstr128

Jul 29, 2019
This kind of sounds like the SMP issues we were having, the chunk gen kills our server and boots everyone :\

I didn't quite get rid of the problem but I was able to make it a minor annoyance versus crippling by boosting the PermGen to 512 MB. I tested a server by flying in creative for a couple days in one direction using a starting script to change the parameters and everything seems fine. There was some gen lag, but nothing more than I see in vanilla. Using Fastcraft is pretty much a necessity so if you don't have that on both the server and all the clients, you should really install that. Also, whenever people are exploring in TFC it's good practice to move for about a minute and then wait for around twenty seconds to let the world catch up because of the sheer volume of blocks being generated compare to vanilla.Try the startup script below and let me know how it works for you.

java -d64 -server -Xms32M -Xmx2048M -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:parallelGCThreads=2 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=5 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -jar FTBServer.jar nogui
pause

--Edit: okay, that smiley face was automatically changed from the script. it should be ": P" with out the space between the two

drgnmstr128

Jul 29, 2019
Is this startup string for client or server side? Is 2GB enough for the server?

It's for the server, you change the but of "FTBServer.jar" to whatever the file name of the server's executable jar file is. to change the client's it depends on what launcher you're using. MultiMC has a setting that lets you do it pretty easily (Dolinmyster posted this link above showing it) while the FTB Launcher is a bit more complicated. You need to0 go to options, advanced options, and then under additional Java Parameters paste in the line below.

-XX:permSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

How much RAM I'd recommend depends on a few things. How many people are usually on the server and how spread out are they? Is it a dedicated server or is a client running on the same machine? How much RAM is installed on the computer and what are the specs of the CPU?

--Edit: I really wish i could figure out how to stop it from doing that... again, the smiley face is wrong

Last edited:

Suterusu

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I am familiar with the Java parameters, some of my servers are on 1.8_u11, u25, etc so permagen isn't a thing and some of those options aren't applicable in Java8.

I was questioning 2GB as enough for this pack in particular, since it has something wonky behind the scenes with the chunk gen (between TFC and GT)

I run servers on dedicated hardware (non VM, non shared), and always shoot for 10 or 15 player slots.

drgnmstr128

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I am familiar with the Java parameters, some of my servers are on 1.8_u11, u25, etc so permagen isn't a thing and some of those options aren't applicable in Java8.

I was questioning 2GB as enough for this pack in particular, since it has something wonky behind the scenes with the chunk gen (between TFC and GT)

I run servers on dedicated hardware (non VM, non shared), and always shoot for 10 or 15 player slots.

I usually use 4GB and don't notice a problem usually. I'd recommend starting there and seeing how it goes. If there's no problems back off a little bit to see if you can spare some.

Goatflakes

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Dolinmyster, I have found a game breaking problem. All charcoal gets converted to minecraft charcoal, presumably by the GregTech unification nonsense? So you can't make a forge because you can't place charcoal on the ground.

Neither can you use coal because you need a compressor to make a block of coal.

The only way I think would be to make a charcoal pit with two levels of log pile on where you want the forge to be and then dig it flush with the rock, so you know you have 8 pieces of charcoal in the hole you want your forge to be in.

I only just thought of this, the way I got out of it was to cheat myself in a block of coal and throw away 8 charcoals o_O

Perhaps the unification of charcoal should be disabled but a recipe added to convert Terrafirmacraft charcoal into Minecraft charcoal?

As for the SMP I got it working on Suterusu's hardware, honestly I don't know how. It might be because I left out the server stats mod? Perhaps it was leaking memory or something? :eek: