Mod Feedback [1.7.10] RFDrills - for all of your mining needs!

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Welcome to the RFDrills mod thread! This little mod should be self-explainatory - it adds IC2-style electric tools that run on RF.

Additional features:
  • Drills can mine both shovel- and pickaxe-type blocks(who would've thought?)
  • Chainsaws that not only chop down wood, but can also be used as shears if you are careful
  • Modes! Higher tier drills can toggle 1x3x1 mining mode, and advanced chainsaws can toggle shear mode on/off
  • 4 tiers of tools for TE and 2 tiers for EnderIO
  • Additional ultimate tier for Redstone Arsenal and EIO
  • WAILA integration - shows how much RF mining a block requires, and if you hold shift you'll see your tool's mode
  • VersionChecker integration - read the changelogs and update the mod in-game!
  • Configurability - including in-game Config GUIs!

TwHTWJ8.png

Now look at all of this drilling action!

This mod uses the MIT license, which basically allows you to do whatever you want with the mod as long as you don't change the license. Therefore, you can use it in modpacks and even make custom versions of it (would be nice if you gave me credit and gave me a quick PM about it, though).

The license also states that I'm not responsible for any damage this mod does, although I will still try to fix all bugs and crashes that I can. This doesn't apply to custom versions (or "forks") of my mod made by other people: go yell at them instead!

Go get it on Curseforge: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/229846-rfdrills
The source code is available on Github: https://github.com/goldenapple3/RFDrills

Please report all the bugs and crashes to the Github issue tracker. This place is intended only for suggestions and feedback.

Speaking of suggestions and feedback, they are always appreciated!

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So basically the IC2 drill run on RF? Interesting. I've been looking for a tool that can do all my branch mining needs, the hammer does a good area but it gets slowed down by dirt and gravel, and the excavator is kinda not as useful.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Already a big fan g-apple. I can't tell from the description, but what sorts of drilling are you allowing? just 1-block, or possibly other patterns?

3x3 is fantastically badass. 1x2(tall) is really nice. A deep-penetrating drill (1x2 hitting 2 blocks deep) might be useful in some circumstances.

My first thought when looking at drills in a modpack is "what makes these different from a pickaxe" and it always comes down to area of effect rather than speed.

Reactions: glepet1962

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Already a big fan g-apple. I can't tell from the description, but what sorts of drilling are you allowing? just 1-block, or possibly other patterns?

3x3 is fantastically badass. 1x2(tall) is really nice. A deep-penetrating drill (1x2 hitting 2 blocks deep) might be useful in some circumstances.

My first thought when looking at drills in a modpack is "what makes these different from a pickaxe" and it always comes down to area of effect rather than speed.
That could be done with having different drill bits as well as different drill bases. The bit will effect the area of effect it has, as well as possibly any modifier-esque things like silk touch or fortune, and the base will determine power supply reserves, speed, and higher tier bases are required for higher tier bits. Then you could make players have tradeoffs... the bit for a 3 x 3 is different from the bit for silk touch/fortune. So just for tunnelling, you're probably going to want the 3 x 3 area effect, but if you run into something like diamonds, emeralds, or other such fun things, you break out the other bit.

Reactions: Pyure

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if you have drills and you're planning on adding chainsaws, what if you also add cannons? if you shoot the cannons it'll fire an energy ball which can either damage entities, mine blocks or blow holes, depending on which mode you've set it to. higher tiers will travel more distance, fire faster, dig further and deal more damage. perhaps you could even add a funny feature where if you fire an energy ball into the water it'll shoot electricity all through the water, damaging any entity in the water and even add a chance of fish to drop. that way you have almost all vanilla tools covered, pickaxe, shovel, axe, sword, bow and fishing rod. only thing left would be a hoe

Reactions: SpitefulFox

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
A lot of you seem to be interested in an upgrade system... I don't know, the original idea of the mod was basically IC2 electric tools on RF, and I kinda wanted to keep it simple. I still need some time to think about this.

if you have drills and you're planning on adding chainsaws, what if you also add cannons? if you shoot the cannons it'll fire an energy ball which can either damage entities, mine blocks or blow holes, depending on which mode you've set it to. higher tiers will travel more distance, fire faster, dig further and deal more damage.

I actually had an idea for a Gundrill before, but I felt that it was waay too ridiculous to add. Even if I add this, it'll probably be a single item and not a tiered one like all the other drills.

only thing left would be a hoe

Crap, I actually forgot about hoes! Now that I think about it, I should probably include a Sickle functionality (harvesting a 3x3 area of grass and leaves) to the hoe, too.
I'll gladly help out with BC support. I might want this in my pack.
The problem with Buildcraft integration is that the Charging table is only available with lasers (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, the lower tier drills should somehow run on coal or liguid fuel and that would be kinda hard to implement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A lot of you seem to be interested in an upgrade system... I don't know, the original idea of the mod was basically IC2 electric tools on RF, and I kinda wanted to keep it simple. I still need some time to think about this.

I actually had an idea for a Gundrill before, but I felt it waay too ridiculous to add. Even if I add this, it'll probably be a single item and not a tiered one like all the other drills.

Crap, I actually forgot about hoes! Now that I think about it, I should probably include a Sickle functionality (harvesting a 3x3 area of grass and leaves) to the hoe, too.

The problem with Buildcraft integration is that the Charging table is only available with lasers (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, the lower tier drills should somehow run on coal or liguid fuel and that would be kinda hard to implement.
Don't get swept away in other people's enthusiasm, make sure you only sign up for things that pique your own interest :)

The reason I asked about the drills was that the IC2 drills are useless. In any modpack I've played in the last year, there's little or no reason to use them, particularly if you have tinkers construct in the pack. But just about any mod is going to deprecrate IC2 drills in some way. The Gravisuite drills on the other hand are exceptionally powerful, moreso than a TiCo hammer.

Having drill modes is what makes all the difference when it comes to selecting a mining tool. I'm not suggesting addons and upgrades unless you're particularly interested in those, but modes at least are easy to implement (not requiring any other items or guis). I think addons and upgrades are a neat idea too but you should definitely stick with your own preferences.

Reactions: rhn and Padfoote

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013

Or you could just make a few tiers of chipset-based drills. Generally, fancy tools like this IMO would work fine in a post-laser setup, not pre-laser.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Or you could just make a few tiers of chipset-based drills. Generally, fancy tools like this IMO would work fine in a post-laser setup, not pre-laser.

Okay, that's a good way to do it. You are a Buildcraft dev now, so I guess you know how to balance it better than I do.:)

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Okay, that's a good way to do it. You are a Buildcraft dev now, so I guess you know how to balance it better than I do.:)
To be honest, I would have preferred fuel-only drills as a way to make the mod a bit more varied in terms of what you need, but hey, I guess it's your mod.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
One thing I've always wanted in a drill is a hook into the hardness system. Have the drill not just mine cobble faster then iron ore, also have it use less power on the cobble. If this also worked with the tiers in Tinkers Construct (Manyilum plated drill head? Oooh...) that would be so very tasty.
About the hardness: that's a good idea. I'll add it once I'm done with fixing a few bugs and adding chainsaws. Another feature that I'll try to implement along with this is WAILA integration, so that when a player holds a drill in his hand, it'll show how much RF it will take to mine the block he's looking at.

About Manyullyn heads: Resonant Drills can mine Cobalt and Ardite. That's about as far as I'll go for TiCon support, since it already has RF tool support.

Last edited:

TheSepulcher

Jul 29, 2019
Tier 1-3 aren't enchantable and the Tier 4 (Resonant) Drill is. You can change it in the configs by increasing a drills "enchantability" setting to anything higher than 0.
Ok. İts not very hard to jump to the tier4 i think. I have already advances to enderium

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
1.1.1 is now live!

I'm going to post changelogs as seperate posts becuase I feel like being an evil necromancer and reviving this thread every time I update. So, here we go:
1.1.1 changelog said:
  • [CHANGED] TE and EIO motors are now seperated into two different items. All the motors that you have now will get deleted after the update.
  • [CHANGED] Buffed drill mining speed
  • [CHANGED] Tier 3 Drills are now also enchantable
  • [CHANGED] Improved tooltips for energy
  • [FIXED] Unbreakable drills breaking when they run out of energy (yup)
  • [FIXED] Motors not having correct rarities (a.k.a. text color)
  • [FIXED] Optimized drills quite a bit
  • [FIXED] Config GUI tooltips not being localized
Also did a whole bunch of refactoring and preparing for the Chainsaw update!

As you can see there are quite a lot of major derpfixes.