[1.7.10] Ratch's Minimal HQM [Magi][Tech][Adventure]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
This is a "Does this sound Entertaining?" thread before i put much Work into my Vision.

The Idea

The Inspiration came to me after i have been playing TolkienCraft II. and then started watching Direwolf20's new season of Forgecraft 2, lol.

One thing that bothers me the most with ModPacks is the amount of Mods people will put into the Pack. Today's ModPacks remind me of FTB Ultimate from back in the day. that pack was insanely huge for its time. Now every pack is as big as FTB Ultimate was. I feel this is making for quicker released and constant tweak and bug fixing instead of adding some great immersion factors. There is also some people that are playing packs on Older machines still. Or in my case i attend classes and i like having some MC between Classes. My little NextBook 10" can handle playing MC but nothing like the 100+ Mod Packs.

Here is my vision. I want to have only a few Content Adding Mods. One Mod for Magic, One for Tech, a couple support Mods, UI Mods like NEI, Inv Tweaks, Waila. and then some Mods for the World. And lastly this would be a prebuilt world and it would have a large questine using HQM(beause its awesome). First off, I love Tinker's Contruct with Iguana Tweaks. My Issue with this is TiC+IT takes away from the other mods and what they can do. therefore i will not be using them for this ModPack at this time.

Current Mod list.

Primary Content
Magic
ThaumCraft 4.2
~Thaumic Tinkerer

Tech
BuildCraft
Thermal Expansion

Support
Extra Utilities
Forestry
Magic Bees
Pam's HarvestCraft
~Spice of Life(Thank you Gideon)
IronChest
JABBA
Demensional Anchors
EnderStorage

UI
NEI
+Addons for Installed Mods
Waila
~Wawla
Inventory Tweaks
FastCraft

The World
CustomNPCs
Biomes O' Plenty
BiblioCraft
Chisel
Thaumic Exploration
HQM(HardCore optional)

Now I did not list required mods because they are just that. Even though I'm a big Fan of Thaumic Tinkerer I felt it was best to leave it out since the Tech Mod I'm Using has no extra Mod like that. Thaumic Exploration adds world gen so i put it in "The World" Section.

Designing a ModPack is not completely new to me. Anyone can throw together a list of some good Mods that work well together. Its building a Custom world and implementing a Questing System like HQM i'm not familiar with. So some pointers for mapping would be nice. I'll look up some stuff on HQM.

Any Suggestions let me Know

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
I was interested until I seen FB as the tec mod !.

I chose FB's Steam Power because its not the mainstream Mod selections. the Theme is SteamPunk, ish. I considered Railcraft as an alternative if there was too much negativity towards FB. I like FB, i played with it a little in TolkienCraft II. I can see how people that want to Automate everything would not be partial to it. Ore Multiplication is a little difficult. I'm just wanting to go Low Tech, IE no AE II, IC2, BC+TE, Big Reactors(love this Mod) So if FB gets too much flak then i'll definitely swap it out for RailCraft instead. I want to keep with Steam more than RF/MJ. Which is what i was liking about FB's Steam Power.

Oh, EnderStorage will be in there as well.
EDIT: Oh and FastCraft since this is 1.7.10 MC

On a side Note, I gave it some though and I'm looking at getting a couple more people to build a City of their own in the map. I'm going to build the Spawn City and then have a few other cities.

I'm Considering adding LOTR to give access to other Races for NPCs/Cities. Not gonna Lie, I love them short burly dwarves xD Obviously going to Middle Earth would be disabled.

My First step is going to be setting up the ModPack and playing around with the Mods and seeing what works good together and what doesn't. I haven't set up a pack for FTB before so If i can't get it to work I'll temporarily set up the pack through Technic, while i Troubleshoot the FTB method.

Vanjykins

Jul 29, 2019
As I only have a laptop I can't play Tolkiencraft, so something similar but less heavy sounds amazing. Not too sure about fb or rail craft though, easy ore doubling gives you more time to explore and I find rail craft very tedious. :c That said, without that much automation and a big quest line, how much need is there for mass ore production?

Tl;dr: yes please!

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
As I only have a laptop I can't play Tolkiencraft, so something similar but less heavy sounds amazing. Not too sure about fb or rail craft though, easy ore doubling gives you more time to explore and I find rail craft very tedious. :c That said, without that much automation and a big quest line, how much need is there for mass ore production?

Tl;dr: yes please!

For that reason i was considering switching out my Magic Mod as well. I'm still considering that, but ThaumCraft does want you to explore And i have Thaumic Exploration in there.

The tediousness of RailCraft is why i wanted to go with Flax Beards. you can get to ore multiplication quickly and the start up is fairly easy. FB actually looks prettier than Railcraft IMO. I love having those brass pipes and boilers everywhere. however railcraft is better coded and uses multiblock structures.

From the sounds of it I may be dropping FB and RC for BC + TE and adding Thaumic Tinkerer.

Reactions: Vanjykins

Vanjykins

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with you,fb is very pretty. Maybe I'm just too used to big reactors,mfr and te.. If you want automation, doesn't medieval warfare add recruitable villagers? That would fit the theme I think but I'm not sure how cpu heavy it is and if you can only add that part and disable terrain gen?

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
Age in some cases does not matter. The Components in the machine at the time of purchase can change your performance for years. I gamed on a Dual Core with 4gigs of RAM for about 3 years just fine. I couldn't play with pretty settings but i could play and not lag terribly. Oh and i had a Geforce 8400GS and then a 9400GT. now i have a better PC. Most likely your computer just needs a good cleaning or backup and reinstall of Operating System(Windows). Now if the specs are actually low on the computer orits some cheap off brand then yes age can be a factor.

This Pack is designed so that i can play modded MC between classes. I have a little 10" Windows 8.1 Tablet. Quad core Intel Atom1.33GHz and 1GB of System Memory. I can Play MC 1.8 with low settings, Fancy Graphics for the 3D items on the floor.

I really want to use FB's Steam Power. I have played with it in TolkienCraft II and its pretty Neat. it is not as tedious as Railcraft for getting ore doubling. I am going to play with that to see how it works. the fun part is you use steam and a special heat thing to make vanilla furnace cook without fuel and can cook faster with more than 1 of this added device.

J-Pixel

Jul 29, 2019
I also run mc on a not amazing laptop and i would love to beta test this mod however i think you should as tinkers construct and Vein miner also Fast craft for ease to play the mod. If you want you can pm me!

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
FastCraft is in the list under UI. it was a given in the modpack since i am wanting to run 1.7.10. Howevere, I have already stated my reasoning for not including Tinkerer's Construct.TiC Takes away from other Mods because of what it does. you end up ignoring the combat or mining abilities of other mods, like ThaumCraft, and just make an Uber Pick, Hammer, and weapon. which makes the Pick of the Core, Wand/Staff, and Sword of the Zephyr useless in thaumcraft. Not to mention the Arcane Bore being Trumped by the hammer.

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on school work but i am hoping to get the pack made this weekend and start testing. Going to start it with FB's Steam Power and work from there.

Reactions: Vanjykins

nat2601

Jul 29, 2019
it looks good! I all ways enjoy adventure/HQM packs, even with tech! im a huge tech guy! if beta testers are needed i woul be glad to help!

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism is a very underused tech mod, I've seen it used in only 3 packs as of now, and as for magic mods, not many people use Ars Magica anymore, even though it's still a thing. Also Draconic Evolution or Metallurgy could work

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism is a very underused tech mod, I've seen it used in only 3 packs as of now, and as for magic mods, not many people use Ars Magica anymore, even though it's still a thing. Also Draconic Evolution or Metallurgy could work

I love Mekanism, but i'm trying to use Mods that can be considered Low Tech. BC + TE "can" because they don't have solar panels =P However I honestly want to just use FB Steam Power. I have played with it i have a decent little set up and understand how it works. I don't see what the issue is that the First poster and why he doesn't like it. there is more Interactions and it could be difficult to automate even with TC golems.

I don't like Metallurgy, it adds too much metals and alloys to the game. I did consider ArsMagica 2, and i may swap out ThaumCraft for AM. AM is more of a Shorter Mod like FB that not a lot of time is going to be spent on setting it up and going in depth with.

So initial ModPack testing will probably be with Ars Magica 2 and FB's Steam Power. only sad thing is Thaumic Exploration is really cool.

Bearnado123

Jul 29, 2019
I support the change to AM2 because its a nice mod to have working in the background with the fact that you have to level up in order to do much.

Erk

Jul 29, 2019
I support the change to AM2 because its a nice mod to have working in the background with the fact that you have to level up in order to do much.

Thats pretty much the case. With thaumCraft you spend a lot of time at home researching and building. you leave to go and collect VIS in your wand or Scan something you couldn't before. With AM2 you make a spell alter, Oculus, and Desk. you make your first spell with your alter and then you move on to go use it. you have to level it up to use it. you can process materials with the Magic Circles powering your machines. there is less at home involvement with AM2 compared to ThaumCraft. This is also why i decided to test with FlaxBeard's mod as well. granted you cant just toss your ore in a machine and come back in a couple minutes. but its still not a too long of a process.

I'm probably going to add the Mod that gives dual Wielding and Shields. I'm also considering The Roguelike that adds Dungeons to the World. I love that mod. however i think i can stop there for anymore mods being added. it will be mostly tweaking the selection.