[1.7.10] Pathfinder [Peaceful][HQM][Tech][Adventure][Listed]

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to improve seeds in this pack or has that been disabled?

I get the feeling you haven't actually tried to use Agricraft at all... and that you don't quite understand what the core concept of Agricraft even is.

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
I get the feeling you haven't actually tried to use Agricraft at all... and that you don't quite understand what the core concept of Agricraft even is.

Why would I have even asked about improving seeds if I had never used Agricraft? How does that make any sense at all? I tried spreading to cross crops to get improved mutations (which worked in the regrowth pack) and didn't ever get any variation - all seeds stack together and analyse at 1/1/1.

Keldin42

Jul 29, 2019
Why would I have even asked about improving seeds if I had never used Agricraft? How does that make any sense at all? I tried spreading to cross crops to get improved mutations (which worked in the regrowth pack) and didn't ever get any variation - all seeds stack together and analyse at 1/1/1.
Regrowth allowed (at least for some time I believe) the improvement of crops by spreading from a single plant.

By default the behavior is that you need more parents to improve stats. So the best would be 4 plants in a + shape and a cross crop in the middle. Then each time replace one of the four parents with the new plant.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019

Sounds to me like you had one single generation (which relies on RNG to decide whether a plant improves) and based your assumption on that. Furthermore, you assumed that Regrowth, which I know has used different difficulty levels from Agricraft (as well as removing the weeds aspect) must have to be on the same difficulty level as it is in Pathfinder. All in all, as far as I can tell, you're making quite a few assumptions that you simply shouldn't be making. And I was asking if you'd even bothered to try to use Agricraft in this pack before asking.

In short, http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3b/3b8d7c5231b7a2da03a6b54f474cb3233a4b0e7732e018b411a83592cf4765e6.jpg

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
Regrowth allowed (at least for some time I believe) the improvement of crops by spreading from a single plant.

By default the behavior is that you need more parents to improve stats. So the best would be 4 plants in a + shape and a cross crop in the middle. Then each time replace one of the four parents with the new plant.

Thanks. Yes in regrowth there was a % chance of mutation without multiple parent. I will give that a try.

Sounds to me like you had one single generation (which relies on RNG to decide whether a plant improves) and based your assumption on that. Furthermore, you assumed that Regrowth, which I know has used different difficulty levels from Agricraft (as well as removing the weeds aspect) must have to be on the same difficulty level as it is in Pathfinder. All in all, as far as I can tell, you're making quite a few assumptions that you simply shouldn't be making. And I was asking if you'd even bothered to try to use Agricraft in this pack before asking.

In short, http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3b/3b8d7c5231b7a2da03a6b54f474cb3233a4b0e7732e018b411a83592cf4765e6.jpg

I said nothing about a single generation. I didn't assume everything would be exactly the same as in Regrowth or any other pack - I simply asked a question about whether it was disabled or not in this pack because I was never getting any seeds (plural - as in more than one generation) with improved stats. There's no need to be rude about it and insult people who ask questions (making plenty of incorrect assumptions of your own in the process, I might add).

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. Yes in regrowth there was a % chance of mutation without multiple parent. I will give that a try.

I said nothing about a single generation. I didn't assume everything would be exactly the same as in Regrowth or any other pack - I simply asked a question about whether it was disabled or not in this pack because I was never getting any seeds (plural - as in more than one generation) with improved stats. There's no need to be rude about it and insult people who ask questions (making plenty of incorrect assumptions of your own in the process, I might add).

If you have 10 parent seeds that you farm all at once and they all produce children, 1-4 each, that's only the first generation. The second generation would be the children of the non-original seeds. Mendelevian-type stuff, if you will. Besides, your sample sizes are still small, your standard deviations are still high, and your conclusion still means nothing. One of the core concepts of Agricraft is that multiple parents generally lead to more improvements in offspring. That you immediately assumed that that was null and void based off of single-parent breeding is a massive no-no, and you should have tried multi-parent breeding before assuming that the main point to even have Agricraft (improving your plants) was disabled.

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try that later today, and if it works, I'll probably make a let's play of it(if that's allowed, I haven't been able to find permission or denial of permission for that. I might have overlooked it though.)
You don't need permission to record an LP. Go for it

WadeIsOP

Jul 29, 2019
How much ram should I allocate for this pack I've been getting constant crashes and weird bugginess every time I try to play it.

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019

You can definitely improve your crops. On my pathfinder play through I had many 10/10/10 crops.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
If you have 10 parent seeds that you farm all at once and they all produce children, 1-4 each, that's only the first generation. The second generation would be the children of the non-original seeds. Mendelevian-type stuff, if you will. Besides, your sample sizes are still small, your standard deviations are still high, and your conclusion still means nothing. One of the core concepts of Agricraft is that multiple parents generally lead to more improvements in offspring. That you immediately assumed that that was null and void based off of single-parent breeding is a massive no-no, and you should have tried multi-parent breeding before assuming that the main point to even have Agricraft (improving your plants) was disabled.

You're the one making assumptions here, and it seems like you don't even understand how Agricraft works. You don't need two generations to get a chance of an improvement over the original seeds, and he didn't say how many seeds were spread so you have no indication of if he tried to do it 100 times or only 5. A better guess would be that he had the cross crops in lines, as was the standard practice in Regrowth.

You've been told repeatedly not to belittle people, you know...

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
You're the one making assumptions here, and it seems like you don't even understand how Agricraft works. You don't need two generations to get a chance of an improvement over the original seeds, and he didn't say how many seeds were spread so you have no indication of if he tried to do it 100 times or only 5. A better guess would be that he had the cross crops in lines, as was the standard practice in Regrowth.

You've been told repeatedly not to belittle people, you know...

I'm aware that you don't need two generations to get improvements. I was pointing out HOW generations work in the first place and that just because multiple crops were bred at once, they can still be part of the same generation. If you had any inkling of what I typed or what I was replying to, you could see that I at no point said that multiple generations were required to get stat improvements.

You're the one making assumptions here

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
I'm aware that you don't need two generations to get improvements. I was pointing out HOW generations work in the first place and that just because multiple crops were bred at once, they can still be part of the same generation. If you had any inkling of what I typed or what I was replying to, you could see that I at no point said that multiple generations were required to get stat improvements.

Well the thing is, generations don't actually matter, at all. RNG determines if they improve, every time. You said it was RNG for the first generation, which strongly implies that you think you need a second generation to guarantee an improvement. That is not the case.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Well the thing is, generations don't actually matter, at all. RNG determines if they improve, every time. You said it was RNG for the first generation, which strongly implies that you think you need a second generation to guarantee an improvement. That is not the case.
Everyone chill out before I start handing out warning points.

I think that means drop the subject, savvy?

Reactions: goreae

HoneyMungeon

Jul 29, 2019
I had to disable that ring thing entirely by setting all the keybinds in the controls menu that were set to R other than the one for Clockwork Phase to NONE, because it was conflicting with said Clockwork Phase keybind.

If you open your Options -> Controls menu, click on any keybind, and hit your ESC key, it'll disable that keybind entirely. I have no idea which particular keybind that's set to 'R' by default causes the ring thingy, but it does interfere with the quest that requires you to activate the Clockwork Pickaxe's temporal ability by pressing R.
The ring menu doesn't have a keybind category of it's own, it's mixed in with other stuff. The keybind name is key.(something)

DrinkGrog

Jul 29, 2019
I've been having a lot of fun playing the pack, thanks for it. I like the idea of a shorter themed pack featuring mods I haven't gotten to use before and its very nice not having to worry about a creeper sneaking up on me...

I have started to encounter crashes on entering new dimensions as I've created more of them though. Following some of the earlier threads I updated to rftools to 2.64 and that seems to have taken care of some, but not all of them. Is it safe to update to the latest rftools (2.80 I think it is?). I don't want to break any of the scripts or tweaks that have been made in the pack.