[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
S

Sven "flamestrider"

Was there a change at how much steam the large boilers make at some point? I'm watching a youtube series and the guy has a large steel boiler powering two turbo steam turbines and I can barely power 3 MV steam turbines. Just curious if I messed something up or if this is just the max output.
From what I know of the numbers you can have 15LV turbines, ~3.4MV turbines, or ~0.77HV turbines running constantly from one Large Steel Boiler... so the only way to power two HV turbines is to not do it constantly... and using a pre-buffer for when you need the power.

Large Steel Boiler:
Production: 1'200L/t (24'000L/s)
Consumption: 1.5s per charcoal equivalent fuel (36'000L per charcoal)

GT Steam Turbines:

LV Generation 34Eu/t
Steam Consumption 66% ==> 102L/t
Infitech2 85% ==> 80L/t

MV Generation 132Eu/t
Steam Consumption 50% ==> 528L/t
Infitech2 75% ==> 352L/t

HV Generation 520Eu/t
Steam Consumption 40% ==> 2'600L/t
Infitech2 66% ==> 1'560L/t

T

targetingyou78

From what I know of the numbers you can have 15LV turbines, ~3.4MV turbines, or ~0.77HV turbines running constantly from one Large Steel Boiler... so the only way to power two HV turbines is to not do it constantly... and using a pre-buffer for when you need the power.

This seems to be accurately represent what I am seeing. I can easily fill two MV turbines the third fills up very slowly so I guess eventually it would overflow and allow me to use a little more than 3. Thanks for your detailed answer! Also, just to clarify. That is how it works in default Gregtech 5u as well? Not just IT2?

T

targetingyou78

Any tips for trying to get to HV from MV? Should I just make a huge tree farm and a lot of steel boilers?

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug but whenever I craft a quest item in Ewy's workbench it doesn't count towards the quest progress.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
After advancing in bees a bit more I realized that with Diamond Combs you do want to process diamond ore through the sifter. So there's that.

Bees are pretty great for boosting ore production once you get to the advanced material types! IC2 crops are just as good for some materials but I haven't delved that far into them.

T

targetingyou78

After advancing in bees a bit more I realized that with Diamond Combs you do want to process diamond ore through the sifter. So there's that.

Bees are pretty great for boosting ore production once you get to the advanced material types! IC2 crops are just as good for some materials but I haven't delved that far into them.
I tried getting into crops as I got into the MV era and quickly realized that they are pretty tough to breed properly as well as most of the byproducts needed processing with other similar materials as well as fluid. It really scared me off. lol

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Any tips for trying to get to HV from MV? Should I just make a huge tree farm and a lot of steel boilers?

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug but whenever I craft a quest item in Ewy's workbench it doesn't count towards the quest progress.

Probably a bug, try the XACT crafter it's a lot nicer IMO if you don't need the rest of the workbench features.

As for HV, a huge tree farm isn't a bad idea. To increase the charcoal's use you could also turn it into alumentum. I've found that a couple of arcane bellows on the cobblestone alchemical furnace + using alumentum as the fuel for the alchemical furnaces can fuel about 2 large HP boilers with the alumentum it creates.

Been using those two boilers plus a 18 HP liquid boiler for the creosote during the HV age. created 480 EU/T in the large steam turbine plus enough extra to run another turbo steam turbine for a decent period of time as a backup power source when the battery buffer ran low.

Worked well enough until I could get a nuclear reactor up and running.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
I tried getting into crops as I got into the MV era and quickly realized that they are pretty tough to breed properly as well as most of the byproducts needed processing with other similar materials as well as fluid. It really scared me off. lol

The leaves from material crops can only be processed as an ore booster, yeah, but it's just water as the fluid generally. Some of the IC2 material plants simply drop dust or gems, which is useful. You can in theory get an entire field of Olivia plants and never mine Olivine again, but you need an Olivine block for each plant so scaling up is slow unless you have a stockpile of the material in question already. That's the main problem and advantage to IC2- you can scale it up quite well, but it requires resources to do so. Bees on the other hand are hard to scale up but you won't usually need to since only a few material comb types can be directly centrifuged. Combs make great ore boosters though since you really only need Life: Longer and Production: Faster on your bees to get a decent frame-boosted rate of production. Longer lifespan means each queen will go through just over one Untreated Frame in its lifespan so it's easy to maintain. You might want a big cotton field to keep up with the string requirements...

Oh also you can get bees that spread Thaumic Flowers which means you have essentially infinite mercury and blaze powder. That's not all that great though since mercury really only gives you silver and gold, and blaze powder isn't terribly hard to get in the first place. Gold specifically is available in large quantities from material bags, but you can melt down treasure from nether forts for a large quantity as well. Silver is just a common ore. Oh right, mercury can get you platinum as well, but that's pretty easy to get via thaumcraft. You can get the nebrisum and lucrum from mana beans, which scale up easily (but slowly) and can be automated. I haven't found any of the ore types that can be processed with mercury to get platinum, anyway.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

The leaves from material crops can only be processed as an ore booster, yeah, but it's just water as the fluid generally. Some of the IC2 material plants simply drop dust or gems, which is useful. You can in theory get an entire field of Olivia plants and never mine Olivine again, but you need an Olivine block for each plant so scaling up is slow unless you have a stockpile of the material in question already. That's the main problem and advantage to IC2- you can scale it up quite well, but it requires resources to do so. Bees on the other hand are hard to scale up but you won't usually need to since only a few material comb types can be directly centrifuged. Combs make great ore boosters though since you really only need Life: Longer and Production: Faster on your bees to get a decent frame-boosted rate of production. Longer lifespan means each queen will go through just over one Untreated Frame in its lifespan so it's easy to maintain. You might want a big cotton field to keep up with the string requirements...

Oh also you can get bees that spread Thaumic Flowers which means you have essentially infinite mercury and blaze powder. That's not all that great though since mercury really only gives you silver and gold, and blaze powder isn't terribly hard to get in the first place. Gold specifically is available in large quantities from material bags, but you can melt down treasure from nether forts for a large quantity as well. Silver is just a common ore. Oh right, mercury can get you platinum as well, but that's pretty easy to get via thaumcraft. You can get the nebrisum and lucrum from mana beans, which scale up easily (but slowly) and can be automated. I haven't found any of the ore types that can be processed with mercury to get platinum, anyway.
Nikel ore gives a great boost for platinum when processed with Mercury... It's the main reason I could start using 8192V wiring in my base... 70% per crushed Nikel means a great deal of platinum from just one stack or so of ore.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

I generally start producing Nitro-diesel at this point since I need the plastics for (cheaper/new) processes anyhow... and nitrodiesel is easy to use as a mid-high power-bridge imo.

It's probably a bug... I generally only use vanilla tables to craft quest-items.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
LV Generation 34Eu/t
Steam Consumption 66% ==> 102L/t
Infitech2 85% ==> 80L/t

MV Generation 132Eu/t
Steam Consumption 50% ==> 528L/t
Infitech2 75% ==> 352L/t

HV Generation 520Eu/t
Steam Consumption 40% ==> 2'600L/t
Infitech2 66% ==> 1'560L/t

did a quick summary of it in the steam producers overview in the document for how many steam producers you need for LV, MV and HV turbines
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ypolb7s6aLHTMSyClcbFxEPIlYP19qZGNUgDUOqpP4Q/edit?usp=sharing

Will likely go over the oil numbers this weekend

Edit: realised i read svens post a bit wrong :p removed most of it that wasnt relevant

Last edited:

GammaGoblin

Jul 29, 2019
And a question, how to make WAILA/NEI show what liquid is in GT pipes? And im sure Reservoir from EnderIO also showed its "fluid values" in previous versions..

Ok, downloaded older version (3.1.17), copied configs of WAILA and NEI, copied older WAILA version and it worked..

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to obtain glowstone in mass quantity so I don't have to endanger myself collecting it in the nether? Is there a way to make a crop that grows glowstone dust, for instance? I see a new recipe for glowstone (4 gold dust with 5 redstone dust) but that's not gonna work for me right now since I'm still in LV era with no means for processing magnetite yet. Gold is way too valuable to be "wasting it" on making lights for my base. Yeesh.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to obtain glowstone in mass quantity so I don't have to endanger myself collecting it in the nether? Is there a way to make a crop that grows glowstone dust, for instance? I see a new recipe for glowstone (4 gold dust with 5 redstone dust) but that's not gonna work for me right now since I'm still in LV era with no means for processing magnetite yet. Gold is way too valuable to be "wasting it" on making lights for my base. Yeesh.
You'd have to grow "Glowheat" but i never made one as of yet so i'm not sure if it hand out glowstone directly or not in Infitech 2.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

You can get some glowstone from processing redstone a special order... I think that the glowstone recipe is really old, I Believe it's originally an IC2 recipe.

T

targetingyou78

Probably a bug, try the XACT crafter it's a lot nicer IMO if you don't need the rest of the workbench features.

As for HV, a huge tree farm isn't a bad idea. To increase the charcoal's use you could also turn it into alumentum. I've found that a couple of arcane bellows on the cobblestone alchemical furnace + using alumentum as the fuel for the alchemical furnaces can fuel about 2 large HP boilers with the alumentum it creates.

Been using those two boilers plus a 18 HP liquid boiler for the creosote during the HV age. created 480 EU/T in the large steam turbine plus enough extra to run another turbo steam turbine for a decent period of time as a backup power source when the battery buffer ran low.

Worked well enough until I could get a nuclear reactor up and running.

I'll have to try out that work bench. I just went to Ewy's because I recognized it from another mod pack. Should I report it as a bug that Ewy's doesn't work with quests. (Also, I think it used to a few patches back... can't be certain though)

I will also have to try out the Alumentum. I used TC so heavily during bronze age and then kind of just left it behind once I got well established in the LV era. I have multiple barrels full of charcoal, I just started using a large steel boiler and watching it chew through those barrels lol. I have 6 coal coke ovens that have been running ever since I was first able to make them. (I also progress slowly so the charcoal just builds up) I was looking at converting it to super-fuel but Alumentum might be an easier option.

Oh also you can get bees that spread Thaumic Flowers which means you have essentially infinite mercury and blaze powder.

That is a very cool use for bees I have not seen anyone do on a "Let's Play" I might have to dabble with bees for the first time. How far do you have to progress before you can start spreading Thaumic Flowers?

You'd have to grow "Glowheat" but i never made one as of yet so i'm not sure if it hand out glowstone directly or not in Infitech 2.

It's Infitech 2 so I'd go with not lol. Seriously though, plants are not really a good option in the beginning. It takes so much time to get the going to a point that they are useful you would be much better off gathering the resources yourself and spend the extra week you saved :p doing something productive like reading a book... or just progressing

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
That is a very cool use for bees I have not seen anyone do on a "Let's Play" I might have to dabble with bees for the first time. How far do you have to progress before you can start spreading Thaumic Flowers?
progressing
A decent amount. The Ignis/Ordo/etc bees have that flower gene, and those are 8 tiers past the basic bees. You have to get Common, Cultivated, Eldritch, Esoteric, Mysterious to get Arcane, then breed that with a Supernatural which goes Eldritch-Charmed-Enchanted-Supernatural. That gives you Ethereal which you breed with either Supernatural or Arcane to get elemental bees.