[1.7.10]Hubris V1.6.1- HQM - 270+ Quests [Magic][Dungeons][Dimensions][Exploration] Ex-Listed!

Izraifel

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you Trisscar, I'll do this on my laptop. I should have clarified that it's my "server" desktop that's capping its cpu.

Ballza000

Jul 29, 2019
Nice base! What did you use to push back the tainted land? Looks like you used the biome terraformer? Also I never thought of putting the Infusion Altar 1 block underground, makes it so much easier to walk around it!

I've found once the ethereal bloom has cleaned an area, I break it and move it out again, basically expanding further out and out, creating more blooms as the radius gets wider. Once it's clean on the inside, the taint doesn't return, as the biome is changed from Tainted Land.

Xolan

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, I love the idea of this pack. I prefer to play ssp however I use an older computer as a server as I like the day/night cycle and such from playing on a server. Are there any configs that can be changed or mods that can be removed to lessen the cpu impact without taking away from the idea of this pack? Took out infernal mobs and that helped a little but it still feels like I'm playing on a server with 40 people.

I've found that Thaumic Infusion is also an FPS killer. It was updated a little bit ago, but it still seems to noticeably hinder fps. I've been keeping it off until I decide that I want to start using it.

the_void__

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, i put soulbound on all of my stuff at first imbuement - im paranoid. Otherwise (like the helmet) i would put on mana regen.

On the second, i went ahead and put explosion resistance on. Why? Gravity Creepers... If you don't fear them (you should), take physical resist.

On the third (which i didn't get yet), i wouldn't take fire resist, thanks to botania fire resist pendant. Hmm... depending on what guardian i would fight, i would actually make three sets for each other resistance. OR i could go for blood magic. >_<

Finally, on the fourth, i would put freedom of movement on the shoes if i were on a server, or water walking if there were a lot oceans... wait no, scratch that. To many hungry nodes. However, in any case i wouldn't take falling damage protection, since i have slowfall too. On my leggings, dispelling, no questions asked. On the breastplate, either life saving for dungeoning, or extra exp for training. And on the helmet, hunger regen, obviously.

You can get soulbound via enchanted books, so there is no need to use the augment slot on it. Also needs to be said that soulbound is very bugged in other dimensions. I eventually used NEI to remove it from all of my items and then turned gamerule keepInventory on, because my precious spellbook kept vanishing. Having crystal goggles on the helmet is very convenient. Otherwise I go with burnout reduction and mana regen for the first level. I haven't experimented with the flicker system yet.

For the second level I split between physical and explosion, since the other damage types can be avoided in other ways. Similarly, I agree about taking anything but fire for the third.

I agree on the hunger regen, that one is awesome. For body armor either healing or +exp. I'd agree about the dispelling one too, if not for the crash bug.

Yeah I know they're technically not locked out, but before I knew about the aspects I always found myself stuck early on in the research because you need things like life spirit and motus to scan half of the stuff in the game, which are really hard to find through the thaumometer and if you don't just discover them in the research table it gets frustrating. Its one of those things that make it hard for newbs to Thaumcraft simply because the info is missing, obfuscation is bad game design IMHO.

Yeah, this is really the weakest point in thaumcraft's progression. It's probably my favorite content mod, but that hurdle of trying to figure out motus, victus, and a few other early but hard to find aspects probably turns a lot of new players away.

I'm not in ocean biome and moonstone meteors fall sometimes.

As others have said, there is the minimum mage level of 10. There also needs to be "natural" blocks for it to land on. Dirt, grass, and sand are the only ones I know of that work. I suspect that biome is a factor as well. I think that tainted biome might block it entirely, as well as fibrous taint and tainted soil. There were times in my old base when I heard an explosion but never found the meteor, and I suspect that fibrous taint blocked it. After packing up and moving to an island, I started getting them no problem.

Just yesterday I happened to see one land right in front of me. It hit my celestial prism, but did no damage and spawned no ore blocks. I suspect that it detected the grass blocks that my prism was on as a valid landing site, but then the transparent blocks (chalk circle) blocked it. Probably something similar happened with the grass blocks and fibrous taint surrounding my previous base.

(awesome base pictures)

Very cool. I did something similar but with barrels instead of drawers, and I didn't have the sorting drawers, so it required more marked locations. I've established a common practice with my friends when we play together: white ender pouch/chest has some common tools and the black one is where everything gets dumped into storage. With the inventarium I've set another ender chest as the delivery point, so I can request and get items from multiple spots around my base. I also had to set an open crate instead of an item grate as the delivery point, because golems kept falling through the item grate and getting stuck.

My essentia storage system is just a few rows of labeled void jars with an alchemy golem fitted with speed upgrades. It's very fast but not as robust as piping systems like yours. I need to place and label extra jars if I ever want more than 1 jar of anything in particular. And I'm still not sure on how to use the essentia locus. I'll have to look into it at some point.

Izraifel

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you everyone for the advice. Removed infusion and lowered the taint a little (I plan on building where I spawn anyway) and it dropped my core to 85%. Its finally playable! Thanks again everyone :)

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
Even if finding aspects in Thaumcraft is an early game "blockade", it also adds mystery. Furthemore, it is still better then the earlier types of research thaumcraft had in the past. I wonder what azanor has planned for thaumcraft 5 ?

@the_void__ I see. I guess ill have to use the cleansing amulet instead. Of course, in the end, i will use blood armor in the endgame, so i won't die anyway.

@Izraifel try to add optifine, it certainly helps me. (Just remember to add it again after an update)

the_void__

Jul 29, 2019
Even if finding aspects in Thaumcraft is an early game "blockade", it also adds mystery. Furthemore, it is still better then the earlier types of research thaumcraft had in the past. I wonder what azanor has planned for thaumcraft 5 ?

The research system itself is great, and the thaumnomicon is a fantastic form of in-game help that doesn't break immersion. The problem is just with those specific aspects: very nearly everything that contains them also contains complex aspects that you can't get yet, so you've got a circular dependency and may need to use the research table to unlock those aspects manually. It's really just a spot where the progression should be smoothed out a bit.

I wish blood magic had similar documentation. It's really the biggest thing that keeps blood magic as a whole from being on the same tier.

Andri92

Jul 29, 2019
The research system itself is great, and the thaumnomicon is a fantastic form of in-game help that doesn't break immersion. The problem is just with those specific aspects: very nearly everything that contains them also contains complex aspects that you can't get yet, so you've got a circular dependency and may need to use the research table to unlock those aspects manually. It's really just a spot where the progression should be smoothed out a bit.

I wish blood magic had similar documentation. It's really the biggest thing that keeps blood magic as a whole from being on the same tier.
The most recent Blood Magic update has in-game books. I think it came out today or yesterday.

Reaperjtm1

Jul 29, 2019
Now I have to find an ocean, and after using to ender staves still no luck just lots of taint and rivers...ugh..

Last edited:

Paxaxx

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know a way to get a cat? I need one to do the werewolf curse thingie.

Hardcore ender expansion lets you make spawn eggs

Make the Dragon Essence Altar. (Make the normal essence altar: slap it with dragon essence then the other items it requests)

Place 8 blocks on the same y level as it within 4 blocks radius. These are its pedestals

Drop a item related to the monster on top of a pedestal (just drop it with q). (for cats drop a fish)

Make sure the alter is stocked with dragon essence (right click it with essence in hand and it will take it like a barrel).

Wait some time watch the lights and BAM cat egg

If this is inccoret im sorry its been about 8 months since I abused this on a server

Last edited:

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
So, I researched the ethereal bloom, but I am now in a bit of a bind to make it, so I have a few questions.

First, I need netherrack to be able to put a flame bellow the crucible, but is the nether safe-ish to just dart in, take a few pieces and dart out?
I am asking because in my usual worlds, I try to have at the very least a glider, and usually a decent TiCo bow, but none of them exist here.
I thought about getting flight and ranged attack through AM2, but it kind of requires to go pretty deep into the tree, so it's not really easy to achieve early on either.

Second, the ethereal bloom's recipe requires the shimmerleaf flower, and after exploring a bit around my base, I couldn't see any silverwood trees.
Should I continue to explore the overworld for it, or should I go to the twilight, if the chances there are better?

As you can probably tell, it's been quite a while since I did anything with thaumcraft, so I'm a little lost on what I should be doing.
I selected the Ethereal bloom as my first objective, because it allows to reclaim parts of the land (I'm bored on my ship in the ocean), but maybe it's supposed to be a fairly advanced objective, not something for someone that only just discovered a few diamonds and doesn't even have that much for food (2 apple trees and a few crops growing).

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
So, I researched the ethereal bloom, but I am now in a bit of a bind to make it, so I have a few questions.

First, I need netherrack to be able to put a flame bellow the crucible, but is the nether safe-ish to just dart in, take a few pieces and dart out?
I am asking because in my usual worlds, I try to have at the very least a glider, and usually a decent TiCo bow, but none of them exist here.
I thought about getting flight and ranged attack through AM2, but it kind of requires to go pretty deep into the tree, so it's not really easy to achieve early on either.

Second, the ethereal bloom's recipe requires the shimmerleaf flower, and after exploring a bit around my base, I couldn't see any silverwood trees.
Should I continue to explore the overworld for it, or should I go to the twilight, if the chances there are better?

As you can probably tell, it's been quite a while since I did anything with thaumcraft, so I'm a little lost on what I should be doing.
I selected the Ethereal bloom as my first objective, because it allows to reclaim parts of the land (I'm bored on my ship in the ocean), but maybe it's supposed to be a fairly advanced objective, not something for someone that only just discovered a few diamonds and doesn't even have that much for food (2 apple trees and a few crops growing).
The general rule in customized mod packs is that NEI is your friend. You can craft or have a way to create all blocks that the taint overrides. The quest book explains that most items can be crafted, but I may have missed a few.

The nether isn't dangerous if you stay away from the pigman and ores.

The ethereal bloom is late early game if you focus on the thaumcraft tree. The trick is finding the right combination of aspects without overflowing the cauldron. Most people use the pams milk for Sano.

Reaperjtm1

Jul 29, 2019

The nether can be scarey, the Pig-Man will attack if you mine any ore. Also a few other hostile mobs, so I recommend being quick if you are not well armed and armored.

Shimmerleaves are crafted, I have not personally had any appear under any Silverwood I have grown (silverwood is also not natural in Hubris).

Also this modpack is more of adventure, runic dungeon is one of the best places for resources I have found, better than mining for sure. I pushed for the Ethereal Bloom fast too..

Now I was wondering if Moonstones only fall at near ground level, I am in the ocean biome (finally) and built a small grassy area off the edge of one of the floating dungeons (the size is about 15 x 10)

Edit: I have found to use the Essentia phials to do my alchemy for the blooms, helps avoid overflow

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I was also planning on using essentia to craft the blooms, because I don't want to create even more taint, and essentia is needed for infusion too, so it helps for both purposes.

As for the dungeons, the only ones that are close to my base are the tower ones, and I am certainly not able to fight its boss yet, not to mention the 2 spawners per floor, with usually 1 being either spider or cave spider spawner.
I'll explore a bit more to find the underground ones, because they are at least doable with iron-grade equipment.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, I'll try looking into how to get silverwood and shimmerleaves.

Paxaxx

Jul 29, 2019

1st you don't need netherake at all just place a nice safe piece of niter under your cauldron. No random fires. No need for a nether trip no hassle. 2nd if you can find yourself a rpg tower (or rogue like tower I can't recall) round towers with touches on top that have a spiral stair down. These have TONS of potions in them on the 1st two floors and that's a handy source of sano. But do make sure to melt it down into bottles of 8 or crystallize if you can. 3rd shimmering is really easy (quicksilver with a flower I think)

Edit: oh also now that I think about it in the dungeons described above there is nether rake on the upper levels acting as fireplaces and the last level is "hell" and has nether brick rake blazes (with diamond armor that doesn't render) and all sorts of other fun.

Last edited:

the_void__

Jul 29, 2019

Assuming you're not playing hardcore, just hop into the nether with some cobble, torches, and a throw-away pick. Build a little room to protect the portal from ghasts, grab your netherrack and leave.

The general rule in customized mod packs is that NEI is your friend. You can craft or have a way to create all blocks that the taint overrides. The quest book explains that most items can be crafted, but I may have missed a few.

The nether isn't dangerous if you stay away from the pigman and ores.

The ethereal bloom is late early game if you focus on the thaumcraft tree. The trick is finding the right combination of aspects without overflowing the cauldron. Most people use the pams milk for Sano.

Overflowing the cauldron has never been a problem for me, unless I try to make too large a quantity of stuff at once. I generally rush for the automated alchemy anyway. It's pretty easy to make and loads more convenient than the crucible.

1st you don't need netherake at all just place a nice safe piece of niter under your cauldron. No random fires. No need for a nether trip no hassle. 2nd if you can find yourself a rpg tower (or rogue like tower I can't recall) round towers with touches on top that have a spiral stair down. These have TONS of potions in them on the 1st two floors and that's a handy source of sano. But do make sure to melt it down into bottles of 8 or crystallize if you can. 3rd shimmering is really easy (quicksilver with a flower I think)

Nitor is nice, but you need the crucible to make it in the first place. Unless there was a quest in this pack that rewards it, I don't remember. Or you could find it in a thaumaturge's house if you can find one in a village.

Moonstone has always been the most annoying resource for me to get in ars magica. The meteor thing is neat and novel, and it makes sense, but it sort of dictates that you keep dirt/grass nearby all of the time rather than building up a base that looks nice. So I was trying to think of alternative ways to obtain it, and something occurred to me: does anyone know if orechids can generate moonstone?

Paxaxx

Jul 29, 2019
Nitor is nice, but you need the crucible to make it in the first place. Unless there was a quest in this pack that rewards it, I don't remember. Or you could find it in a thaumaturge's house if you can find one in a village.

Lava also works for that very early crucible tasks