[1.7.10] Death's Hardcore Pack

aldra2012

Jul 29, 2019
Can't dig out of your cave/house, as monsters wall-hack-follow you.

"It's meant to kill you".
There has to be balance, one can just make a point like: "Well, if it's meant to kill you - just up mod frequency by 1000%, mob spawn rate by 10000%!, now that'll show the player who's the boss here, oh I forgot to add one more thing - they spawn at day-time too!"; I clearly don't think that having monsters with 3-5+ mods, 500+ regen/1up, etc. constantly and on first days is balanced, as it poses no real challenge.. it is just cheap 1-shot mechanic being labeled as "difficulty". It brings nothing more but frustration.

2ij105u.jpg

This is kind of stuff you're engaging on first days, by far not the worst.

There are plenty of mods combined that will kill you, but currently nearly every pack has either one or more such mobs.

Also what do you mean by "fortify"?

If you don't like this pack because its too hard then don't play it. This pack isn't for the casual player. Hint the name "Death's Hardcore Pack"

Nettehlol

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't said anything like that, I'm doing fine in the pack and I'm liking it. It's just I'm in clear disagreement with what means "challenging", "hardcore", "balanced". If your only argument is "stay back, you filthy casual!" or "it's hardcore, because there's HARDCORE in the title", then I have nothing to add. And yes - don't jump to conclusions that quick.

Please, don't get me wrong - I'm not being condescending towards OP nor pack. It's just feedback/discussion/criticism, aren't you guys willing to discuss, share tips. Healthy dose of criticism only does good.

Aknot

Jul 29, 2019
Took a peek in the pack with creative mode and so far I like what I saw except lava creating lava source blocks when flowing in some way. I didn't figure out yet if it's source blocks moving lower or if it's actually creating more lava. If there's a config for this I can change I'd love to have this option. I don't want to have infinite lava as I want to use blood magic for that.
Beside that I'll try this pack out by using 95% of the time magic mods and others when I really have to. Sounds like a challenge. :)

That is deadly worlds and some times Lycinites mobs. The lava is more of a trap. Sometimes you will find it and it flows very quick. And are you sure it creates more source blocks? Or does it just move the source blocks to the lowest place?

Aknot

Jul 29, 2019
Can't dig out of your cave/house, as monsters wall-hack-follow you.

"It's meant to kill you".
There has to be balance, one can just make a point like: "Well, if it's meant to kill you - just up mod frequency by 1000%, mob spawn rate by 10000%!, now that'll show the player who's the boss here, oh I forgot to add one more thing - they spawn at day-time too!"; I clearly don't think that having monsters with 3-5+ mods, 500+ regen/1up, etc. constantly and on first days is balanced, as it poses no real challenge.. it is just cheap 1-shot mechanic being labeled as "difficulty". It brings nothing more but frustration.

2ij105u.jpg

This is kind of stuff you're engaging on first days, by far not the worst.

There are plenty of mods combined that will kill you, but currently nearly every pack has either one or more such mobs.

Also what do you mean by "fortify"?

I would say this is more like an intended accident. First that mob is an ultra rare. The yellow part gives that away. And believe it or not but you can actually kill these guys you just have to get creative. Which is what we want. The whole point of this is to make players think about everything they do. Gone are the days of getting semi decent armor and taking on the world. And when you asked about fortifying there are a few things you can do.
1. Use the extra utilities spikes around your base. For example, dig out all around your house and place them down around the outside of your house. So basically place them right next to your house so when the mobs are right at your walls they take damage.
2. Light up as much of the area in and around your house.
3. Do not and I mean DO NOT!!! use wood to build your house. Use stone. Lots of mobs cause fire. Trust me its bad...... I found out the hard way.
4. Do not build right next to water that is 2 blocks deep or more. Jengu's are bad. Same applies for lava.
5. Get an iron door as soon as you can.
6. Make kill holes. They help a lot.
7. And this is probably the most important. Take the time to make a nice escape tunnel. It will get used. If there is a blood moon your base area will be swarming with mobs. So its always nice to be able to leave.
8. Don't think of this mod pack as minecraft. Treat it more like a zombie survival game.
9. My personal favorite tip. Use death to your advantage. I don't even know how many times I have died playing this. One time we were trapped in our house by a swarm of Gorgonites. I think we died about 40 times each trying to kill all of them. And yes we punched them to death.

aldra2012

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't said anything like that, I'm doing fine in the pack and I'm liking it. It's just I'm in clear disagreement with what means "challenging", "hardcore", "balanced". If your only argument is "stay back, you filthy casual!" or "it's hardcore, because there's HARDCORE in the title", then I have nothing to add. And yes - don't jump to conclusions that quick.

Please, don't get me wrong - I'm not being condescending towards OP nor pack. It's just feedback/discussion/criticism, aren't you guys willing to discuss, share tips. Healthy dose of criticism only does good.

my apologize i took it the wrong way.

Aknot

Jul 29, 2019
The pack sounds like blood and bones

We have some of the same mods yes but its nothing like blood and bones. It is a lot harder IMO. Then again I could be biased. If you try it out let us know :) And make sure you use NEI we did a lot of changes. And more changes to come!

simchajra

Jul 29, 2019
That is deadly worlds and some times Lycinites mobs. The lava is more of a trap. Sometimes you will find it and it flows very quick. And are you sure it creates more source blocks? Or does it just move the source blocks to the lowest place?
After a quick test it seems it does not create source blocks so it's all good. It just flows from higher to lower depending on how you let it flow.

Here's some screenshots.
http://imgur.com/a/K0wdE

Aknot

Jul 29, 2019
OK awesome. I thought that's what happened. Makes for interesting times when mining that is for sure. I couldn't even count the number of deaths I have had because of that. I do like how the gravity works though. Makes it more realistic.

Aknot

Jul 29, 2019
Also for anyone interested Saturday the 16th of January at 10 am CST there will be a streaming party of around 10 steamers playing this mod pack. So if you are curious about the pack it would be a good time to look in. Or you can always watch my previous episodes. And I stream everyday as well. Plus you might catch me on the dev. server depending on the day.

fairyhell

Jul 29, 2019
Nice pack!
But what if I play this on Hardcore mode? Are you gonna stop me?
You can't stop me from playing Hardcore mode!!

Aknot

Jul 29, 2019
Nice pack!

No I can't stop you. But I can ask for a count as to how many times you have to start over.

m1jordan

Jul 29, 2019
Nice pack!
No I can't stop you. But I can ask for a count as to how many times you have to start over.

I did this, up to world 7 and have a small, decent start. Rushing lots of wood and food is the route I go, let the ents kill me quick, so I dont waste a day before dying xD Although, it has been MUCH more fun for a server style pack. The challenge makes it cater to group playing and co-op. I feel the grind is going to prove a small challenge for hardcore because of, well... geonachs xD but its doable... especially for the hardcore enthusiast.

Id say a solid 9/10 with the potential to easily be 10/10 with future updates :) great pack!

fairyhell

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't know this pack has jumpscare ¬¬
If this pack was meant to kill you, have you consider adding Spice of Life? :)