[1.7.10][Curse][Skyblock] Garden of Madness - A Garden of Glass based pack

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea, I'll link the let'splay/tutorial that I learned Garden of Glass from. Thanks for the advice.

Btw, I'm glad you are liking the pack.

Last edited:

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Hmm the mobs in this pack at least seem to drop semi-useful items, items from EssentialCraft etc probably be useful for later on once the Orechid is finally generating ores. :D I still need an Orechid converting stone, which I found needs mana to work, so I have to set up Botania flowers etc for that. Also, the second world I spawned in is in a desert, it means I have to hunt around for someplace to fill water up with as anywhere that is affected by desert biome won't have water falling in it, I put 3-4 tanks down and only one of them started filling up. That's a recent vanilla change.

This is a nice fast modpack, easy going. It's easy enough to get wood and cobblestone, going to have to figure out what to do for a trip to the Nether.

I got some heavily damaged (read; low remaining durability) armor from Mekanism as drops, is that repairable to make it into better armor somehow? I'm not entirely familiar with Mekanism, all I know is that combining items with durability in a crafting grid doesn't seem to work. Well either that or I haven't got a pair of matching items yet which is also due to drop rates.

I looked at the mob trap design you suggested to go with but went with the 5x5 room anyway as it's more challenging to clear out most of the mobs first then get the last 2-3 manually with skill and reflexes! Minecraft Creepers are especially tough to handle with Skeletons shooting them! ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
For the nether that's a bit of a process to do. You need to make Fel Pumpkins and put them on top of 2 iron bars (like a snowman) to summon a Blaze, you kill these special blazes and they only drop blaze powder. The blaze powder is then crafted into blocks and placed around a pure daisy and is converted into obsidian. You mine up the obsidian and construct your portal and light it with either a fire charge or a flitnt and steel.

As for Mekanism ya the only thing you will see from Mekanism for a while is the Item drops as it's specifically designed to be the end-game technology locked behind making a Laser Drill from Minefactory Reloaded. Mekanism is interesting because the machines can be upgraded to each be able to do 7 operations at once, AND they can be upgraded with better speed and efficiency. The nice thing about Mekanism is it also has a way to get 5 times the normal amount of ingots from a single ore through a progressively more complex system of machines. So because Mekanism clearly can beat all other machines in the pack I put it at the end of the tech progression, and even then it has a LOT of progression of it's own.

Last edited:

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Well, I have good and bad news: First the bad news, I had to restart the modpack due to making a silly mistake with building a half slab path which allowed mobs to spawn on it. It's kind of difficult getting mobs off a path when they're shooting or killing you. And yes, if improperly placed in the top half, half slabs will indeed allow mobs to spawn. ;) The good news is that the new map I ended up generating was not in a desert biome. I'm already back to the stage where I can produce the Botania flowers, so not that bad of a loss.

I notice there are some TE mods or add-ons in this modpack, is there a reason you didn't add in the Thermal Dynamics? Besides Botania or Mekanism, are there any other mods in this modpack that allow flight?

Is there any point to holding onto DU Bullets from NuclearCraft? I haven't had anything that looks like it might take them as ammo drop as loot yet.

I heard some mob that sounded like a Villager dying in the mob trap. Are these actually passive mobs that are worth separating out or just a mob trying to trick me into thinking there's a Villager in there?

I'll probably respond in the next couple days, going to be busy for a bit. This modpack is turning out rather nicely. :)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Iirc Thermal Dynamics requires Thermal Expansion, and he felt that Thermal Expansion is overused and iirc quantum flux allows you to obtain flight.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
You can obtain flight by Killing a wither, performing the division activation ritual, and crafting an angel ring. Since you can only get division sigils from withers I believe this is a nice mid-game way to fly. But by all means switch to a QF Battlesuite later for late game flight.

And RealKC nailed it on why I didn't add TE and TD. But the tech tree is balanced with a clear progression without them. I only added Thermal Foundation for a base of modded metals and ores.

The mob you are probably hearing die that sounds like a villager might be a Witch. If you want a villager you need to make a cacoon and give an emerald to it.

And as far as I can tell you really don't need the Bullets.

P.S. nothing wrong with spawning in a desert, the pack can be played by spawning in any biome. the only ones that pose a slight difficulty, in my opinion, are spawning in a frozen biome where you need to keep your water covered OR spawning in a mushroom biome where mob farms wont work.

Last edited:

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
One of the ore processing options shows a process called "Dusting", but there is no indication of which mod that is from. What is this, and how far up the tech tree would I have to go to get it?

http://imgur.com/a/UM7Ov

Edit to add an imgur image link to what I'm talking about.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Last edited:

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Dusting is from Buildcraft Additions and is the most simplistic way to double your ores as you have to create a machine you jump on manually to ore double, your next best option would be a sag mill, but you need the gravel from dusting to make that.

In fact I give an "Achievement" in the book that says to make the "Basic Duster".

The only thing about Buildcraft Additions is it uses the Eureka mod to make a tech tree where you have to actually to specific tasks to unlock recipes. Look in your grey book called "Engineering Diary" for specifics.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Dusting is from Buildcraft Additions and is the most simplistic way to double your ores as you have to create a machine you jump on manually to ore double, your next best option would be a sag mill, but you need the gravel from dusting to make that.

In fact I give an "Achievement" in the book that says to make the "Basic Duster".

The only thing about Buildcraft Additions is it uses the Eureka mod to make a tech tree where you have to actually to specific tasks to unlock recipes. Look in your grey book called "Engineering Diary" for specifics.

Ah, okay, was mostly focusing on getting things up and running the Orechid for some ores. I'll definitely have to look into the Achievement Book.

I was thinking about shifting some of the early dirt I've got around for some flowers. How much would you recommend I keep for special purposes early-game?

If there's something that gives me items I can use, I tend to focus on that and not worry about quest books much. :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
well the achievement book is a bare bones guideline in this pack, it's only meant to show the general tech progression, the pack is what you make of it after that.

As for how much dirt should be reserved for special uses, I go with 3 pieces. One for a Pure Daisy, one for an Orechid, and one for an apple tree.

The rest of the dirt at the start I lump together and constantly use and reuse it for everything including growing more seeds, growing trees, making mana with various starter flowers (mostly endoflames), string farming, Pumpkin farming, and anything else I need a plot of dirt for.

I'm also careful to always leave some grass so when I reclaim farmland to use for something else the grass can grow back and I don't lose it.

Since your dirt is limited Agricraft is a good way to get more out of your crops in a smaller amount of space.

AyVaZzZ4o0

Jul 29, 2019
I was kind of sad to find out that there is no OpenBlocks mod so I manually added it myself I am really a big fan of the hang glider,rope ladder and the elevator block so I just couldn't give them up.. By the way if you like to do some outside game cheatsy doodles you can setup an autoclicker and pretty much fill your whole inventory with pebbles in like 2minutes xD it's a little more advanced trick I made up than the "put brick on the left mouse button trick"

Last edited:

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
I was kind of sad to find out that there is no OpenBlocks mod so I manually added it myself I am really a big fan of the hang glider,rope ladder and the elevator block so I just couldn't give them up.. By the way if you like to do some outside game cheatsy doodles you can setup an autoclicker and pretty much fill your whole inventory with pebbles in like 2minutes xD it's a little more advanced trick I made up than the "put brick on the left mouse button trick"

I specifically tried to avoid early automation, but hey have at it XD

Edit - Oh btw I can't investigate or fix any bug reports for the pack for a bit, my computer is in the repair shop getting the failing hardrive copied and replaced. It'll bet a while before I get it back.

Last edited:

onsp

Jul 29, 2019
Only two words catched my eyes - NO SIEVES
big thx. will try. in every modpack even in space this freaking sieving.

Reactions: RyokuHasu

DonKalypso

Jul 29, 2019
I'm, for whatever reason, unable to get this pack to load up, as it freezes at the Post Initialization of What Are We Looking At during Initializing mods Phase 3. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
I'm, for whatever reason, unable to get this pack to load up, as it freezes at the Post Initialization of What Are We Looking At during Initializing mods Phase 3. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Same as Robijnvogel, I'll ask how much ram did you allocate? I recommend atleast 3gb, 4 if you can.

otherwise I'd delete and reinstall the pack.

DonKalypso

Jul 29, 2019
Currently sitting at 4.5GB of RAM, so I'll delete the pack and redownload.

Just did so, and it froze at the same point again. I'm not getting any kind of error, so I don't know what else to say to help explain what's going on.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
When you deleted it did you go to your FTB folder and actually delete the folder itself?

if you already tried that, I don't know what to tell you it sounds like a problem with the launcher.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Currently sitting at 4.5GB of RAM, so I'll delete the pack and redownload.

Just did so, and it froze at the same point again. I'm not getting any kind of error, so I don't know what else to say to help explain what's going on.
Could you share your fml latest log?
6+ eyes see more than 2. :) (sometimes)