[1.7.10] CopperTools - all kinds of tools, armor & sickles! All the ingots!

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, while you are probably right I sense you are nit picking a bit. So what you are saying is that things like Wrought and cast iron are technically a kind of steel...

Just like this Sanic said earlier, did you even learn any 8th grade chemistry?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Just like this Sanic said earlier, did you even learn any 8th grade chemistry?
No not really, chemistry is an elective class in my country (Australia) and you do it in year/grade 10, the very little chemistry they teach you in 8 grade Science class neglected to teach me that the iron we use every day is not pure elemental iron.

Knowing that now chances are the iron picks we use in game could represent cast/wrought iron, which isn't "utterly useless" but not nearly as good as steel. Also makes me wonder if pure elemental iron is/can be used at all?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also makes me wonder if pure elemental iron is/can be used at all?
Other than in some medicinal purposes and probably in some chemical reactions, I don't think so. It is also rather difficult to produce pure iron as you must remove a lot of impurities. I suspect the only places you will find pure iron is in special material labs the likes.

Knowing that now chances are the iron picks we use in game could represent cast/wrought iron, which isn't "utterly useless" but not nearly as good as steel.
Cast iron is still steel, a very high carbon steel. Much higher than normal steel which causes it to be very strong but brittle. This makes it excellent for static loads where a break is not fatal(if breaks are dangerous, milder steels are usually used as they will slowly give way instead of instantly snapping).

Wrought iron is low on carbon, but still well within what is defined as steel I believe. But it is/was of such poor quality, non-uniform and full of impurities that I am not sure you can classify it on a macroscopic level as anything. Parts of it might have been pure iron, parts of it high carbon steel and other parts slags from the smelting process. It is now completely obsolete except for decorative purposes such as gate, fences and stuff.

Neither is really suitable for tools.

But I feel this is happening:
derailed-train.jpg

(Which btw was usually also caused by poor steel quality)

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
No not really, chemistry is an elective class in my country (Australia) and you do it in year/grade 10, the very little chemistry they teach you in 8 grade Science class neglected to teach me that the iron we use every day is not pure elemental iron.

Knowing that now chances are the iron picks we use in game could represent cast/wrought iron, which isn't "utterly useless" but not nearly as good as steel. Also makes me wonder if pure elemental iron is/can be used at all?
Other than in some medicinal purposes and probably in some chemical reactions, I don't think so. It is also rather difficult to produce pure iron as you must remove a lot of impurities. I suspect the only places you will find pure iron is in special material labs the likes.

Cast iron is still steel, a very high carbon steel. Much higher than normal steel which causes it to be very strong but brittle. This makes it excellent for static loads where a break is not fatal(if breaks are dangerous, milder steels are usually used as they will slowly give way instead of instantly snapping).

Wrought iron is low on carbon, but still well within what is defined as steel I believe. But it is/was of such poor quality, non-uniform and full of impurities that I am not sure you can classify it on a macroscopic level as anything. Parts of it might have been pure iron, parts of it high carbon steel and other parts slags from the smelting process. It is now completely obsolete except for decorative purposes such as gate, fences and stuff.

Neither is really suitable for tools.

But I feel this is happening:
derailed-train.jpg

(Which btw was usually also caused by poor steel quality)
79082c53ef42bdc500f5f182cef6e32a6d0a052c0f613ffdf61525d3c855c0db.jpg

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
I figured out why the iron we use in-game is plausible.
In mechanics and technology after smelting the iron ore the impurities are eliminated. This doesen't happen for us since we use iron with a bit of carbon resulted from the smelting of stone.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Holy nancies I've missed a ton of chemistry discussion.
Sorry guys I just didn't feel like doing anything Minecraft-related for the past week. The Great Nerf Hammer update should come pretty soon - Silver and Lead armor will be rebalanced, Enderium will be buffed.
Also I'm debating if I should include Emerald tools. If I do, they will be turned off by default and they will require Obsidian Rods. Properties will be same as diamond. (perhaps slightly faster speed?) I need some feedback on this.

Reactions: TheBeastOver9000

TheBeastOver9000

Jul 29, 2019
Holy nancies I've missed a ton of chemistry discussion.
Sorry guys I just didn't feel like doing anything Minecraft-related for the past week. The Great Nerf Hammer update should come pretty soon - Silver and Lead armor will be rebalanced, Enderium will be buffed.
Also I'm debating if I should include Emerald tools. If I do, they will be turned off by default and they will require Obsidian Rods. Properties will be same as diamond. (perhaps slightly faster speed?) I need some feedback on this.
Well, I draw textures for emerald tools last week (also draw lapis and Redstone tools), but I wasn't sure about it. But my vote is YES.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
So, apparently with the new Thaumcraft stuff I accidentally made Thaumcraft a dependancy. You can't run CopperTools 1.2 without TC installed. Hopefully 1.3 will fix this.

Last edited:

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
1.4 is now done! With a rather large changelog:
1.4 changelog said:
1.4 - The Reborn update!
  • [ADDED] Config GUIs! Configure or disable tools in-game! (you'll have to restart Minecraft to see the changes though)
  • [ADDED] Aluminum tool set
  • [ADDED] Manasteel, Elementium (Botania), Steeleaf and Ironwood (Twilight Forest) sickles
  • [ADDED] The Pneumatic Helmet (PneumaticCraft) will now require an ordinary Compressed Iron Helmet in its recipe (that's a config option of course)
  • [CHANGED] Compressed Iron Sickle texture to better fit with the others
  • [REMOVED] Christmas equipment. Deal with it
  • [REMOVED] Peridot armor is gone. The rest of gem armors will only be enabled if BluePower is installed (Project:Red already added their own armor)
  • [FIXED] Some localization derps
  • [FIXED] A bunch of stuff that I probably forgot already
A lot of stuff has changed behind the scenes, with almost half the code rewritten. This was done to automate a lot of the tedious work that I had to do to implement a tool set. Now that that's done I can concentrate on adding more features in the future!

I think I have the Mojang syndrome now. I've spent more time rewriting CopperTools than adding features to it.

Reactions: ljfa and Padfoote

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
hey, if the mod add tools and armor of all kinds of ores, why call it copper tools? Someone would mislead the mistake when reading a message of your and probably would call you a faggot if they saw you only did a mod that "add copper tools".

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
psst
want some useless localization
hey, if the mod add tools and armor of all kinds of ores, why call it copper tools? Someone would mislead the mistake when reading a message of your and probably would call you a faggot if they saw you only did a mod that "add copper tools".

I kind of stopped doing anything with this mod months ago. Thanks for necroposting, I guess?

I won't update this anymore because a lot of other mods are available and they do the same thing better (TiCon,
Thermal Foundation...)

About the name... I don't know. Copper equipment was the first thing that I added, and I just thought that CopperTools sounds cool.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but not everyone wants Tinker's Construct or Thermal Foundation... If you'd be fine with a maintainer, let me know...

Last edited:

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
I kind of stopped doing anything with this mod months ago. Thanks for necroposting, I guess?

I won't update this anymore because a lot of other mods are available and they do the same thing better (TiCon,
Thermal Foundation...)

About the name... I don't know. Copper equipment was the first thing that I added, and I just thought that CopperTools sounds cool.

Oh sorry I didn't noticed xD

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Yeah, but not everyone wants Tinker's Construct or Thermal Foundation... If you'd be fine with a maintainer, let me know...
Are you sure you have the ideas and dedication to keep the mod going? Because my main reasons of stopping was that a) nobody ever uses this mod, b) creating textures and balancing the stats for every material is tedious and c) this mod doesn't allow me to do anything more complicated or creative than a pickaxe.

If you still want to do this, we'll have to discuss that later. I know that my mod is open-source and such, but I'm still not sure about giving something like this to a random person on the Internet. :confused:

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure you have the ideas and dedication to keep the mod going? Because my main reasons of stopping was that a) nobody ever uses this mod, b) creating textures and balancing the stats for every material is tedious and c) this mod doesn't allow me to do anything more complicated or creative than a pickaxe.

If you still want to do this, we'll have to discuss that later. I know that my mod is open-source and such, but I'm still not sure about giving something like this to a random person on the Internet. :confused:
YEAH GIMME YOUR MOD RIGHT NOW
No, though, I know I'm pretty untrustable just coming here and saying "HEY I'LL MAINTAIN YOUR MOD" (why Generikb didn't trust me with Revenge of the B-Team). I've been horrible at staying loyal to people who I continue projects of anyway... Or at least that's what I feel like. I wouldn't exactly want to be a maintainer, just asking if you would be fine with it. I'm not actually considering being a maintainer right now. Perhaps I'll just fork it and do some stuff sometime.