[1.7.10] CopperTools - all kinds of tools, armor & sickles! All the ingots!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
DIAMOND ARMOUR.

I rest my case.
Hehe yeah and the whole problem with vanilla Iron tools/armour... Iron is utterly useless if there is not a bit of carbon added into it to make it into steel :p (having studied engineering this bothers me more than it should :p(OCPD?) so I have to pretend that Iron is a mild steel and RC/GT/Whatever Steel is a higher carbon content steel :p)

I realise that the game already takes things into a somewhat fantastic realm on some things. I would just think it would be nice that the tools and armour would be ranked somewhat realistically(if for nothing else then to teach children a bit about the materials).

Reactions: PierceSG and xTordX

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Hehe yeah and the whole problem with vanilla Iron tools/armour... Iron is utterly useless if there is not a bit of carbon added into it to make it into steel :p (having studied engineering this bothers me more than it should :p(OCPD?) so I have to pretend that Iron is a mild steel and RC/GT/Whatever Steel is a higher carbon content steel :p)

I realise that the game already takes things into a somewhat fantastic realm on some things. I would just think it would be nice that the tools and armour would be ranked somewhat realistically(if for nothing else then to teach children a bit about the materials).
I see minecraft armor as more of an RPG thing. In RPGs, weapons and armor are just made out of whatever, and it works. Gold being a common high-quality material. No, it doesn't make much sense. In an RPG scenario, it's more important for items to be as good as their materials are valuable than for them to be usable in the real world. So an iron scimitar would be rather meh, while a gold one would be great. Of course MC does gold much differently, but that's not the point. Yeah, lead armor makes little to no sense. It doesn't really need to.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Diamond armor and pickaxes make even less sense as they would splinter easily. But well, Minecraft logic :D

Most mods that add lead make it an abundant resource. I guess lead armor and tools are just as bad as gold?

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Diamond armor and pickaxes make even less sense as they would splinter easily. But well, Minecraft logic :D

Most mods that add lead make it an abundant resource. I guess lead armor and tools are just as bad as gold?

The tools are about stone level and the armor... right now it's kinda OP, but in the next update I'll make it as good as chain (slightly better than gold).

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
So, it looks like TeamCoFH is adding tools for their metals, too. :( I will still keep all the tools in my mod, in case somebody wants to use them.
Cofh eh?
Oh snap. We got some mod competition here!

Otherwise, awsome mod. I now have a use for so many of those pointless ores in my ME system.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

Iron "utterly" useless? You have to be exaggerating there.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Not in Minecraft, he was referring to the real world
The pig iron that is made directly from ore contains quite a lot of carbon, but it's true that you can hardly use pig iron for tools or armor as it is very brittle.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well as tools go pure iron is in all practical applications useless:
The material is significantly hardened and strengthened by impurities, in particular carbon, from the smelting process. A certain proportion of carbon (between 0.002% and 2.1%) produces steel, which may be up to 1000 times harder than pure iron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron
Pure iron is very soft and forms iron oxides(rust) very fast. Common people might refer to the material used in the world as Iron, but in the engineering world is is always referred to as Steel. I cannot think of a single real world engineering application of non-alloyed Iron.

Not in Minecraft, he was referring to the real world
The pig iron that is made directly from ore contains quite a lot of carbon, but it's true that you can hardly use pig iron for tools or armor as it is very brittle.
I believe pig iron is the product of smelting iron ore with a high carbon containing substance(such as coal or coke). Pig iron is then further processed into steel by reducing the carbon content until you have the desired content for your steel.

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to ask, rubies, amethysts and peridot is added by ProjectRed, or what?
Because i'm looking for the mod that adds those for 3 months now!!

xTordX

Jul 29, 2019

Think about gold. I never understood why it's weaker than iron since it's rarer until i've studied metal properties in chemistry class. Gold is a soft malleable material, hence why it breaks so quickly but has the same traits as iron in terms of damage and efficiency.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Well as tools go pure iron is in all practical applications useless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron
Pure iron is very soft and forms iron oxides(rust) very fast. Common people might refer to the material used in the world as Iron, but in the engineering world is is always referred to as Steel. I cannot think of a single real world engineering application of non-alloyed Iron.

I believe pig iron is the product of smelting iron ore with a high carbon containing substance(such as coal or coke). Pig iron is then further processed into steel by reducing the carbon content until you have the desired content for your steel.

Hmm, while you are probably right I sense you are nit picking a bit. So what you are saying is that things like Wrought and cast iron are technically a kind of steel...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm, while you are probably right I sense you are nit picking a bit. So what you are saying is that things like Wrought and cast iron are technically a kind of steel...
Yes all steel. I cannot think of a single thing made of "iron" that is in fact not an iron + carbon (+ various other substances) alloy (aka steel).

It is the whole reason why we had the Bronze Age before we learned to make steel. We could transport copper and tin across large distances(they don't occur in the same places) in order to bring them together to make them into something usefull(bronze), long before we figured out how to make use of iron. Iron was useless without the knowledge of how to transform it into the correct carbon content steel(and get rid of other impurities).

Reactions: PierceSG and xTordX