[1.7.10] CopperTools - all kinds of tools, armor & sickles! All the ingots!

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
AmNYmBA.png
CopperTools
CopperTools is a small mod that allows you to make tools out of all kinds of materials. Nothing crazy, it's not an obsidian tools mod. It just adds some nice integration for materials that every modpack has, like copper, silver or platinum. I'll look into more advanced mod integration (e.g. Elementium Sickles with special abilities) soon.

Before I'll go into further detail about the mod's features, can you guess what these are?
bZctqzm.png

Amthyst Helmet, Enderium Chestplate, Peridot Leggings, Ruby Boots, Copper Pickaxe, Compressed Iron Sword, Silver Shovel, Platinum Axe, Lead Hoe and a Gilded Iron Sickle. Tricky, eh?

Features so far:
  • Copper, Silver, Lead, Platinum, Emerald (you can disable it) Compressed Iron and Enderium tool & armor sets.
  • Thaumium, Void, Brass and Gilded Iron sickles.
  • Peridot, Ruby, Sapphire and Amethyst armor.
  • Absolute configurability. You can tweak properties of tools, disable them, enable/disable sickles etc.
  • Russian localization.
Features planned for future versions:
  • More sickles! Ironwood, Steeleaf, Manasteel, Elementium and Bound sickles, to be exact.
Downloads:
All versions can be found on Curseforge. I would recommend downloading the mod from there since I might forget to update the forum post. Alternatively, you can download the latest version instantly here.

You're welcome to use it in modpacks, public or private. Although, it would be nice if you let me know that you're going to include my mod into a public modpack.

The mod's source code is up on GitHub. It uses the MIT license which basically allows you to do whatever you want with the code as long as you give credit to the author.

Special thanks to @TheBeastOver9000 for helping me out with textures!

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Nice. Normally something like this would only be possible with Tinkers Contruct.

Looks like:
amethyst helmet, sapphire chestplate, peridot leggings, ruby boots,
copper pick, compressed iron sword, silver shovel, platinum axe, lead hoe and brass sickle
Correct? :D

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Nice. Normally something like this would only be possible with Tinkers Contruct.

Looks like:
amethyst helmet, sapphire chestplate, peridot leggings, ruby boots,
copper pick, compressed iron sword, silver shovel, platinum axe, lead hoe and brass sickle
Correct? :D
Nope, it's a gilded iron sickle and an enderium chestplate.;) I actually thought about doing some TiCon integration, but ExtraTiC already exists.:(

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Poison debuffs?
Other than that... looks pretty nice.
I was going to give it knockback protection because lead is incredibly heavy. Also, my friend asked me to make it so that it gives IC2 Radiation protection, but I'm not sure that I can/will do it.

Last edited:

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
So, it looks like TeamCoFH is adding tools for their metals, too. :( I will still keep all the tools in my mod, in case somebody wants to use them.

Reactions: pc_assassin

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
But how good is the gem armor? In my mind, they should be enough of an upgrade to ditch iron, but not enough to be a replacement for diamond.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
But how good is the gem armor? In my mind, they should be enough of an upgrade to ditch iron, but not enough to be a replacement for diamond.
Right now it's more durable and enchantable than iron, but protection is about the same. Should I make it more protective?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Right now it's more durable and enchantable than iron, but protection is about the same. Should I make it more protective?
I guess it depends on how common the materials are. For instance, with ProjectRed rubies and sapphires are usually easy to find. You aren't adding your own ores are you?

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I guess it depends on how common the materials are. For instance, with ProjectRed rubies and sapphires are usually easy to find. You aren't adding your own ores are you?
I'm not adding any ores. The armor recipes use the Ore Dictonary, so you can use rubies, sapphires, peridots and amethysts from any mod.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
The way I've always seen RP2 gems is as a cheaper, crappier version of diamonds. Gems are more common and the tools have the same enchantability and mining speed as diamond, but without some functionality. Keep in mind that iron has a higher enchantability than diamond does. Iron is 14, while diamond is 10. But people still very commonly ditch iron tools for gem tools because they are much faster and much more durable, and just all around a better option until you can get a diamond pick.

Here's what I would personally do: I would make gem armor have higher durability than iron armor, but still less than diamond by a decent amount. They should also have diamond's enchantability and slightly more armor. If iron does 15 armor, I think gem should be like 17. This provides a definite upgrade, but not enough to ditch diamond armor. This way it more matches the tools, being a crappy version of diamond gear, but a welcome upgrade to iron.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
The way I've always seen RP2 gems is as a cheaper, crappier version of diamonds. Gems are more common and the tools have the same enchantability and mining speed as diamond, but without some functionality. Keep in mind that iron has a higher enchantability than diamond does. Iron is 14, while diamond is 10. But people still very commonly ditch iron tools for gem tools because they are much faster and much more durable, and just all around a better option until you can get a diamond pick.

Here's what I would personally do: I would make gem armor have higher durability than iron armor, but still less than diamond by a decent amount. They should also have diamond's enchantability and slightly more armor. If iron does 15 armor, I think gem should be like 17. This provides a definite upgrade, but not enough to ditch diamond armor. This way it more matches the tools, being a crappy version of diamond gear, but a welcome upgrade to iron.
I would personally say, make the armour and enchantibilitythe same as diamond, but make the durability a lot less than diamond. This would keep with the theme of the tools.

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone will always want different things, so I would personally say make it configurable and set the default to whatever you want it to be.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I would personally say, make the armour and enchantibilitythe same as diamond, but make the durability a lot less than diamond. This would keep with the theme of the tools.
Well no. Not really. Unless I wanted to enchant them, there would be no point to upgrading to diamond. One should be encouraged to dump the armor for something better. If the armor is as good as diamonds, there's no reason to upgrade.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I like the idea, but I am pretty sure it is not an oversight that certain of those material were never chosen as tool/armour materials. Take for example Lead. It is so incredibly soft that the prospect of shaping it into tools or armour is rather ridiculous. Leads hardness on the Mohr scale is 1.5. Your fingernail is 2-2.5 :p
Of course these tools and armour could be added in a non functional state for educational purposes with the little text added: "Did you really think this would work" :p
Same goes for Silver and copper. If added their stats should be CONSIDERABLY lower than other. We are talking at or lower than wood.

(Well all if you like me like to have a little bit of foundation in reality in MC. If this is the first exposure children gets to how things in nature/reality works, I would prefer it to be slightly accurate).

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea, but I am pretty sure it is not an oversight that certain of those material were never chosen as tool/armour materials. Take for example Lead. It is so incredibly soft that the prospect of shaping it into tools or armour is rather ridiculous. Leads hardness on the Mohr scale is 1.5. Your fingernail is 2-2.5 :p
Of course these tools and armour could be added in a non functional state for educational purposes with the little text added: "Did you really think this would work" :p
Same goes for Silver and copper. If added their stats should be CONSIDERABLY lower than other. We are talking at or lower than wood.

(Well all if you like me like to have a little bit of foundation in reality in MC. If this is the first exposure children gets to how things in nature/reality works, I would prefer it to be slightly accurate).

DIAMOND ARMOUR.

I rest my case.