[1.7.10][205 Quests][Listed] BeeHappy - A quest based map about Bees

rivvest

Jul 29, 2019
ah, I have about five ferrous bees running with the fastest production speed so I'm not lacking in iron.
I spent all my iron on JABBA, EnderIO and AE parts.. it's trickling back in. I have like 5 too, but just in magical apiaries. :)

In agrarian skies people were make pools of water, breaking the blocks underneath and pumping up all the water with endothermic pumps, which replace source blocks with cobble and then mining the long columns of cobble with ender quarries...that leaves dirt behind I believe, then they'd shovel the dirt with a maximized tinker's excavator and start over again. This was 1.6 minecraft not to sure it still works the same way. It was faster than the old igneous extruder but probably not faster than the upgraded one.
Apparently fully upgraded transfer nodes are faster than upgraded extruders.

Upgraded transfer nodes are ridiculously fast.. but I think it's 4 redstone blocks per speed upgrade, and 3 stacks of those... and I do not have a few hundred redstone blocks sitting around! (and another 3 stacks of world integration upgrades, running at like 7 iron a piece, iirc..) I might have to try this ender quarry contraption just to see how it works. Extra dirt wouldn't be a bad thing either!

Reactions: jtmnf

rivvest

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully my wife doesn't watch this episode. :)
Yup. Horse murderer. There's a better way, man..
2015-09-26_13.31.57.png

.. and for what it's worth, all my horses died by virtue of wandering too close to my danger bees. There should be a horse's apiarist's suit.

rivvest

Jul 29, 2019
I have finally finshed my cobblestone.. and the quest book. This is the first pack I've completely finished.. I'm quite proud. I had a great time, @jtmnf! I'll be back for future updates for sure.. gonna have to take a break before I can bring myself to restart, though. :)

2015-09-26_14.46.22.png

2015-09-26_14.46.00.png

2015-09-26_14.45.16.png

2015-09-26_14.46.13.png

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
Botania's Loonium + a few mana pools should net a few, as well as some other cool stuff.

I had a feeling it would require Botania, need to start working more on that. :)

jtmnf

Jul 29, 2019
The pack was updated but I just corrected some issues... The rubber plant is a reward of a quest, I couldn't add it to a bee :-/

Reactions: rivvest

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

just registered to give some comment here. First, the modpack is very nice. I think the grind at the beginning is not that bad, if you keep a certain order. Only downside I see is that there is sometimes a bit of a waiting. As I was chopping down a lot of Wood, I really could have used the leveling Tinkers Axe to get some motivation there.

As I am new to bees I stumbled into a problem or maybe not, I don't know. The second quest on page 2 "Damp Comb" gave me 2 Cultivated and 2 Common Princesses after handing in 64 Damp Comb. Was I required to mutate the Common and Cultivated in the First place using the mutatron thingy? I did not know what to do with the princesses, do I need the same Drone to get the Queen?

What I did is putting the Common Princess and some Forest Drone into the Apiary and I got a Common Queen, after when it is done it downgrades to a Forest Queen or produces Forest Drone. Can someone explain to me how this works exactly, I am slightly confused.

My guess is that only the mutation in the mutatron creates a "pure" new Queen, which then creates its princess and drones, while mixing different princesses and drones in the industrial apiary, creates a queen of the princess-type, which can eventially downgrade to the drone type?

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
As I am new to bees I stumbled into a problem or maybe not, I don't know. The second quest on page 2 "Damp Comb" gave me 2 Cultivated and 2 Common Princesses after handing in 64 Damp Comb. Was I required to mutate the Common and Cultivated in the First place using the mutatron thingy? I did not know what to do with the princesses, do I need the same Drone to get the Queen?

What I did is putting the Common Princess and some Forest Drone into the Apiary and I got a Common Queen, after when it is done it downgrades to a Forest Queen or produces Forest Drone. Can someone explain to me how this works exactly, I am slightly confused.

My guess is that only the mutation in the mutatron creates a "pure" new Queen, which then creates its princess and drones, while mixing different princesses and drones in the industrial apiary, creates a queen of the princess-type, which can eventially downgrade to the drone type?

It's a bit too complicated to properly explain in a forum post, so I would suggest watching any tutorial on youtube.

Basically, every bee has two chromosomes that determine its species, one active and one inactive. A pure Common bee has both of its active and inactive chromosomes set to Common. If you breed it with a different species, one of these two chromosomes will usually be Common, and another from the other species.

When you breed a Princess with a Drone, they together have a total of 4 chromosomes, so if either has at least one non-Common chromosome there is a chance for it to change species when you breed them. That's where the Genetic Imprinter is useful, you must imprint both the Princess and the Drone with the exact same chromosome template to ensure that your bees will not have random offspring.

When your Queen dies, it splits into a Princess and 1-4 Drones. Each of them can be either a pure bee, or have a combination of various chromosomes. If you use a Beealyzer to analyze your bees, you can see what chromosomes are active, and choose the purest bees to breed. The Mutatron does create a pure bee directly, which is a bit easier.

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

just registered to give some comment here. First, the modpack is very nice. I think the grind at the beginning is not that bad, if you keep a certain order. Only downside I see is that there is sometimes a bit of a waiting. As I was chopping down a lot of Wood, I really could have used the leveling Tinkers Axe to get some motivation there.

Desman pretty much explains it as best as you can in a forum post there are lots of videos out there that cover Vanilla Forestry Bee Breeding (I made 40 or 50 minute one back in 1.5 minecraft), which this pack doesn't really require you to do. I recommend avoiding it as much as possible and stick to using the mutatron. :)

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I think I got it.

So basically:

1. Create some new species yourself with the mutatron
2. produce drones of the same type
3. Use princesses of the same type you get from rewards only with these drones

That would be the safe way then?

The quest mentioned did not tell me that I had to create those two species before, so I just had the princesses and did not know how to continue.

I will continue playing and give some more feedback from a bee-noob point-of-view and also quite a modpack-noob (only started modpacks 2 month ago)

Couple of issues:
1. If you have enough combs you can buy a lot of bees in the shop that you have not created yourself before. That kind of defeats the purpose somehow. Maybe at least hide some of the advanced ones unless you have bought some others before. Will the chapter be completed if I buy each bee once?
2. Looking after your bees is kind of fun, even if you have to do a lot manually. The mod that shows the content of the apiaries and chests etc is useful here. But there are still times where you have to play the waiting game. Adding the Tinkers Tweaks mod would be a first good thing to have some more motivation to chop wood.
3. I would like to have the possibility to do the Chisel 2 Thingy from the start. I hate it that the special cobble you get is not the one from the starting plaform and after that you just have normal cobble. Maybe I missed something there, but some more options to build fancy without doing it over later would be nice. At least add the starting cobble from the platform to the two quests where you can select between the 3 cobble types.

I started multiple times to test some good opening strategies. As mentioned before ignoring the tutorial line and using only furnace and pulverizer speeds up things a lot.
Maybe add the tutorial quest after you have done some of the grinding. Putting an apiary on your power line sucks everything up and slows down.

Not sure about the rain, I guess since it is a saved world, it will always come at the same time around day 2 or 3, if I don't sleep, right?

Some things in the tutorial line are confusing, I will add something about that later- Also forgetting stuff in machines and handing them in is a big game breaker. Had to start over once because of this. :D

I like the whole idea of forcing people to use bees and leaving them most of the time no other choice. But you should come up with some other things for people to do in the meantime.

I watched the first episodes of Delgars series, very nice. In the first episode there was a commenter who had quite a lot of ideas, I liked the one that proposed skipping the skyblock theme and coming up with a modified world without ores. I woudl even go a step further and say create a customed map which restricts everything to an island or something where you can explore and find certain things.

The normal nether does not fit to the skyblock theme, why not give us a "modified" nether? Just a floating island of netherrack or something.

I also found some spelling errors, but I have to go now, will list them later. Hope so far my points were helpful.

I have quite the lag when it comes to the builders wand, it sometimes does nothing, after a second the cobble comes but sometimes all around me. I had no issue with the thingy in AS1. Memory cannot be an issue here, I have 8GB assigned in the FTB Launcher.

Also have one missing block ID at the start, is that expected?

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
The store only gives you a few basic types of bees. If you haven't checked the NEI, they may seem like they are advanced, but there is a ton of other bees that you have to breed yourself.

The missing block is probably Botania Excalibur if I'm not mistaken, there was some issue with it and it may have been removed.

jtmnf

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I think I got it.

So basically:

1. Create some new species yourself with the mutatron
2. produce drones of the same type
3. Use princesses of the same type you get from rewards only with these drones

That would be the safe way then?

The quest mentioned did not tell me that I had to create those two species before, so I just had the princesses and did not know how to continue.

I will continue playing and give some more feedback from a bee-noob point-of-view and also quite a modpack-noob (only started modpacks 2 month ago)

Couple of issues:
1. If you have enough combs you can buy a lot of bees in the shop that you have not created yourself before. That kind of defeats the purpose somehow. Maybe at least hide some of the advanced ones unless you have bought some others before. Will the chapter be completed if I buy each bee once?
2. Looking after your bees is kind of fun, even if you have to do a lot manually. The mod that shows the content of the apiaries and chests etc is useful here. But there are still times where you have to play the waiting game. Adding the Tinkers Tweaks mod would be a first good thing to have some more motivation to chop wood.
3. I would like to have the possibility to do the Chisel 2 Thingy from the start. I hate it that the special cobble you get is not the one from the starting plaform and after that you just have normal cobble. Maybe I missed something there, but some more options to build fancy without doing it over later would be nice. At least add the starting cobble from the platform to the two quests where you can select between the 3 cobble types.

I started multiple times to test some good opening strategies. As mentioned before ignoring the tutorial line and using only furnace and pulverizer speeds up things a lot.
Maybe add the tutorial quest after you have done some of the grinding. Putting an apiary on your power line sucks everything up and slows down.

Not sure about the rain, I guess since it is a saved world, it will always come at the same time around day 2 or 3, if I don't sleep, right?

Some things in the tutorial line are confusing, I will add something about that later- Also forgetting stuff in machines and handing them in is a big game breaker. Had to start over once because of this. :D

I like the whole idea of forcing people to use bees and leaving them most of the time no other choice. But you should come up with some other things for people to do in the meantime.

I watched the first episodes of Delgars series, very nice. In the first episode there was a commenter who had quite a lot of ideas, I liked the one that proposed skipping the skyblock theme and coming up with a modified world without ores. I woudl even go a step further and say create a customed map which restricts everything to an island or something where you can explore and find certain things.

The normal nether does not fit to the skyblock theme, why not give us a "modified" nether? Just a floating island of netherrack or something.

I also found some spelling errors, but I have to go now, will list them later. Hope so far my points were helpful.

I have quite the lag when it comes to the builders wand, it sometimes does nothing, after a second the cobble comes but sometimes all around me. I had no issue with the thingy in AS1. Memory cannot be an issue here, I have 8GB assigned in the FTB Launcher.

Also have one missing block ID at the start, is that expected?
Uh, a lot of questions, I like it ^^ tell me if I missed some of them:
  1. The issue about the store was already answered (correctly by @Desman) :)
  2. Tinkers Tweaks is in the plans, yes! But I'll answer to this issue later! You'll see when you read the answer 8!
  3. Chisel 2 thingy - I agree :)
  4. The tutorial quest... Hm... I probably have the quests completed... I only change 2 or 3 more... I have the tutorial quests (I know you saw them :) ) in the appropriate place, but I know that they are confusing! I didn't forget that, but my schedule is... How can I say... Full... I'll change them in the future!
  5. About the rain: right!
  6. Already answered :)
  7. I agree, but I don't have a bunch of ideas for this modpack! But... Read the next answer :)
  8. Ok, now this part is a little more serious! I have some plans for a BeeHappy 3... I know that JadedCat has some plans for the Feed the Bees, and it's going to be a completely different modpack (and I'm waiting for it, I really am! I freaking love Agrarian Skies 1 and 2)! But, I'm gathering some extra comments and critics about this one! Three of the reasons that I want to make the BeeHappy 3 are: open World (not skyblock), Nether (with some tweaks) and The End (yup, The End). Are people interested in this? I don't know... That's why I'm doing some hype :) if the response is positive, I'll finish the BeeHappy 2 in 2 weeks and start with the new one! If not, I'll do some major adjustments to this one! But in my opinion, you would like to see the BeeHappy 3 :) oh, and by the way: BeeHappy 3 will be a new modpack, not an update to this one!
  9. It depends on what is the feedback on the answer 8 :) if you want a new one, the Nether will not be changed in the BeeHappy 2... If you don't see the need to a BeeHappy 3, I might do some tweaks in the Nether, yes!
  10. Spelling errors... My bad... And I'm sorry for that :\ I'm portuguese (Portugal, not Brazil) and I try to disguise my awesome *coff coff* english... If you see, the modpack it self, the forum thread... I wrote english like I never wrote before in my entire life... But I love to do that! I'm learning and improving it :) tl;dr I'm portuguese :)
  11. Don't know what's wrong with that, but I guess it can be normal... I also had some lag issues when using Builder's Wand... By the way, do you have some spare GB of RAM that I can borrow you? I really appreciatethem :p
  12. @Desman already answered it :)
I think I answered everything :)

Another tl;dr for some people: read the answer 8 and give me some feedback :)

João Fernandes

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I thought someone might be amused that I started expanding my platform. That's not the funny part. I stood on a carpenters safe and wondered why my wand wasn't showing lines. Clicked anyway, discovered that the block was actually a safe and fell into the void. I derp'd.

Oh about the chisel. A clever player can make an obsidian chisel before expanding platform with cobble.

Edit: No buildcraft pipes? I guess we need to rely on applied energistics later on, eh?

Another edit: I can't figure out how to use the beegonia.

Last edited: