1.6 pre-release FYI

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Yeha.. SMP restart incoming :) On the current map everything is nearly done but some hang on there build so the time for the restart was set für 1.6 when the mods are updated. An the map is running for 6 Month should be enough.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Hah, cpw got a shoutout.

Guess we need to promote him from "that guy who randomly comes along and fixes every mod ever" to "that guy who randomly comes along and fixes every mod ever and Mojang's official builds too" :D

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
1.6 vanilla version looks very cool - coal block, new look on charcoal, hard clay, horses, carpets. What's other changes are in 1.6 version ? Someone said that there will be changes to fluids technique so i supose that we must start new world when mods will be updated to 1.6 version ?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The fluid changes are due to forage making changes the liquid storage system to support more common sense. Which will cause any stored liquid to vanish from any and all tanks that are located in old worlds that are migrated to 1.6.

In addition to what you mentioned they also changed lava spread to be far quicker and for it dissipate faster. As well as buffing zombies to see you from farther away and to better track you along with adding a few surprises to them on par with the skelly buff of 1.5.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang finally got around to letting the modding community help them fix their work.
THANK YOU, MO..........D AUTHORS!
you thought I was going to say Mojang there, weren't you?
Come on, every single one of these ideas comes originally from some kind of mod.
Give the Mod Authors some thanks too!

Reactions: dgdas9

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
When do you guys think Ultimate will be ready for 1.6? I'd want to start a new game but I always fear the new patch will come and add so many thing that I'll have to restart so it essentially makes me never play the game.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is in a month or 2, maybe sooner if it is a easy transition or possibly longer as their is no way to be sure.

From what I've read, 1.6 is going to be a massive code change for Minecraft and due to this MCP (the backbone of all modding) and by extension forage/FML is taking longer to update than past versions. In addition to this the whole resource pack system throws a monkey wrench into quite a few mods that once again need to rework textures/resources. To make matters worse a lot of mods are taking advantage of this update to make quite a few major core code changes which can have a domino effect to other mods.

So in short no one really knows but thankfully it looks like it will be no near the nightmare that 1.3 was.

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is in a month or 2, maybe sooner if it is a easy transition or possibly longer as their is no way to be sure.

From what I've read, 1.6 is going to be a massive code change for Minecraft and due to this MCP (the backbone of all modding) and by extension forage/FML is taking longer to update than past versions. In addition to this the whole resource pack system throws a monkey wrench into quite a few mods that once again need to rework textures/resources. To make matters worse a lot of mods are taking advantage of this update to make quite a few major core code changes which can have a domino effect to other mods.

So in short no one really knows but thankfully it looks like it will be no near the nightmare that 1.3 was.

What happened with 1.3? It was before I started playing modded Minecraft.

Also, I don't believe two months is enough, at all. Consider how, back in March, people were saying we would probably see a full release 1.5 modpack in April

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Back in 1.3 Mojang merged single player with multiplayer to form one game as the 2 were separate in the past. Which destroyed all single player only mods and forced them to become multiplayer, naturally requiring massive changes to mod functionality and code. To make matters worse the forage team also decided to make massive changes to the way forge operates for that update and beyond that forced modders to recode large portions of their mods.

Basically it was a one two punch from both Mojang and the Forage team that redefined the mod landscape and is the reason that a lot of the mods were not updated until it was time for 1.4.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
1.6 vanilla version looks very cool - coal block, new look on charcoal, hard clay, horses, carpets. What's other changes are in 1.6 version ? Someone said that there will be changes to fluids technique so i supose that we must start new world when mods will be updated to 1.6 version ?

So.. 1.5.2 2.0?

I cant wait for mods to not be updated for weeks again. Yay~~

Honestly I wish they would slow their 'updating' down, and start focusing on performance and bug updates only while not fucking up the entire mod community every couple months. Modding is the future of Minecraft. Stop getting in the way of your own success, Mojang.

Reactions: Anubis and seannyyx

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, as far as I can tell, a fair amount of the 1.6 update is content ... which isn't really that huge for the modded players. Although horses might be interesting, the pack mule stuff isn't much for those of us who have proper item transport.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
When do you guys think Ultimate will be ready for 1.6? I'd want to start a new game but I always fear the new patch will come and add so many thing that I'll have to restart so it essentially makes me never play the game.

Depends how long before they finally give up on RP.

However, note that KingLemming has stated (on stream) that TE will be delayed at least a month from 1.6 release.[DOUBLEPOST=1372200889][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, as far as I can tell, a fair amount of the 1.6 update is content ... which isn't really that huge for the modded players. Although horses might be interesting, the pack mule stuff isn't much for those of us who have proper item transport.

Just like 1.5, the base Mojang changes are not a big deal. It's the fact that all the modders stop fixing bugs and adding content for old versions.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Back in 1.3 Mojang merged single player with multiplayer to form one game as the 2 were separate in the past. Which destroyed all single player only mods and forced them to become multiplayer, naturally requiring massive changes to mod functionality and code.
Not only that, but at the time, single-player was very stable and multiplayer was... not. So, naturally, rather then try to fix multiplayer and then remove singleplayer, they decided to simply do the merge.

It was a... "fun"... time. Although it's since much improved from that point, singleplayer still hasn't quite recovered back to its former glory.