1.6.4 power question/steam

Novaflipps

Jul 29, 2019
Usually im used to produce MJ for my base. But can I power all machines with RF now, like quarry and such? I'm using 8 industrial steam engines with 36LP boiler, and they only produce like 3MJ/tick atm...not 8 as im used to. Can i switch those out with the new steam dynamo to use the RF instead?

Generaly im a bit confused and would like to get this clearyfied:)

Edit: Seems that the more heat the boiler gets, the more MJ my engines output...its up to 6,5 MJ/tick now:)

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
RF Is compatible with MJ as long as you pass it through a conduit first

The conduits in Thermal expansion are the compatability block, if you try and power an MJ machine directly off of a dynamo it won't work.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Usually im used to produce MJ for my base. But can I power all machines with RF now, like quarry and such? I'm using 8 industrial steam engines with 36LP boiler, and they only produce like 3MJ/tick atm...not 8 as im used to. Can i switch those out with the new steam dynamo to use the RF instead?

Generaly im a bit confused and would like to get this clearyfied:)

Edit: Seems that the more heat the boiler gets, the more MJ my engines output...its up to 6,5 MJ/tick now:)

Steam Dynamos produce 8 MJ/t. TBH this is far too much for cheap, coal power, but nobody really cares as you end up with so much MJ and RF power in the early game there's never a problem. Power generation just isn't fun with TE or BC as there is no motivation to be creative.

You can replace your steam engines with dynamos. But to turn RF power into MJ you must connect conduits to the machine.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
RF Is compatible with MJ as long as you pass it through a conduit first

The conduits in Thermal expansion are the compatability block, if you try and power an MJ machine directly off of a dynamo it won't work.
Correct, but incomplete. It's important to note that the conversion is one way only. You use RF Dynamos to create RF, conduits can then distribute both RF and MJ. You cannot use engines that create MJ to power RF machines via a conduit, or otherwise.

Upon re-reading what I just wrote, I suppose I should add that this applies to (at least) Thermal Expansion, Buildcraft, Forestry and Railcraft. Other mods I have less experience with may offer this conversion, as I believe I've read that Ender-I/O and MFR have that capability.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Correct, but incomplete. It's important to note that the conversion is one way only. You use RF Dynamos to create RF, conduits can then distribute both RF and MJ. You cannot use engines that create MJ to power RF machines via a conduit, or otherwise.

Upon re-reading what I just wrote, I suppose I should add that this applies to (at least) Thermal Expansion, Buildcraft, Forestry and Railcraft. Other mods I have less experience with may offer this conversion, as I believe I've read that Ender-I/O and MFR have that capability.
Universal electricity I believe also has the MF -> RF capability

Reactions: PierceSG

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019

EnderIO definitely has the capability to use both MJ and RF as inputs and outputs and will convert from one to the other without you having to care about it.

Reactions: PierceSG

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
My friend, you need to update your Thermal expansion. They used to produce 40 RF/t, but now produce 80 RF/t
Not entirely sure which update it was since my last update was from b8 to b11b. Somewhere in the middle it's changed about.

Good to know. I haven't updated in a while (since a few days after release of dire's 1.6.4 pack) and things are mostly stable now. I'm afraid to mess with things now. That, and I got more power then I know what to do with at 40 rf/t. I got 1 boiler going supplying a 36 steam dynamo array @ 1440 rf per tick/144 MJ per tick, and a turbine at 200 eu/tick. Which more than satisfies my needs for now. I even have a second boiler on standby with more than enough fuel and/or ethanol to power it when/if I need it.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know. I haven't updated in a while (since a few days after release of dire's 1.6.4 pack) and things are mostly stable now. I'm afraid to mess with things now. That, and I got more power then I know what to do with at 40 rf/t. I got 1 boiler going supplying a 36 steam dynamo array @ 1440 rf per tick/144 MJ per tick, and a turbine at 200 eu/tick. Which more than satisfies my needs for now. I even have a second boiler on standby with more than enough fuel and/or ethanol to power it when/if I need it.

I dare accuse Dynamos of being OP, except you've always generated too much MJ/RF and don't consume much. Being able to store it is almost OP. RF is difficult to transport before you get access to the last tier of Conduit, but after that you've just got too much power. Maybe we need a GregTech style mod that consumes all of this power.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MFR's Laser Drill? That block requires 4000 RF/t or 400 MJ/t to run at max speed.

A gigantic AE's MAC and Quantum Networks? Those takes a ton of power too.

A 11x11x11 cubic room full of BuildCraft's Laser and Assembly Table?

If you have Mekanism, Digital Miner is another power guzzling machine.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
MFR's Laser Drill? That block requires 4000 RF/t or 400 MJ/t to run at max speed.

A gigantic AE's MAC and Quantum Networks? Those takes a ton of power too.

A 11x11x11 cubic room full of BuildCraft's Laser and Assembly Table?

If you have Mekanism, Digital Miner is another power guzzling machine.

Good point. In the past I didn't really take notice though as I normally had a lot of power by the time I get that stuff. I realise TE is addon based, but none of those come from Vanilla TE.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
True, TE3 itself doesn't consume that much power but it is now a good platform for other mods to build on, like how ic2 and bc is.