1.6.4 Liquid Fuel Boiler fuel changes.

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
From the railcraft.cfg

boiler {
#
# adjust the heat value of BioFuel in a Boiler
#
D:biofuelMultipler=1.0

#
# adjust the heat value of Fuel in a Boiler
#
D:fuelMultiplier=1.0

So yeah who cares if he nerfs, you can unnerf it.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
From the railcraft.cfg

boiler {
#
# adjust the heat value of BioFuel in a Boiler
#
D:biofuelMultipler=1.0

#
# adjust the heat value of Fuel in a Boiler
#
D:fuelMultiplier=1.0

So yeah who cares if he nerfs, you can unnerf it.

It should be set to 4.0 by default.

Reactions: AlanEsh

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a jungle next to a desert. I set down 2 hives with modest bees (because I had strains that were diurnal) right on the edge of the jungle, and one strain of tropical bees (I think that's right...poisonous b*******...and not enough coffee yet) just inside the jungle border. There are 5 oaks and 4 birches within range, and a couple of jungle trees that I didn't clear out just on the edges.

Counting those, I've had...3, total, pollinated leaves in the last 9 days of trying.
Just to continue my earlier comments about tree breeding sometimes being a fist-to-monitor experience. Up to 4 bee houses and an apairy, with lots of apple oaks, birch, and silver limes in the area. Nothing else close enough to pollinate. Still no willow. :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Just to continue my earlier comments about tree breeding sometimes being a fist-to-monitor experience. Up to 4 bee houses and an apairy, with lots of apple oaks, birch, and silver limes in the area. Nothing else close enough to pollinate. Still no willow. :)

and anyone else whining about tree breeding with bees.
--give butterflies a shot; you'll be surprised.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Oh great.. Heatup is not that important anyway though. Even if it less it still won't make it up since good boiler houses only fire their boilers once.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by the effort CJ spent on this. Heatup is interesting, but not that important. Most people are far more concerned with max-temp fuel burn rates.

Reactions: Harvest88 and Sarda

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, I'm a bit confused by the effort CJ spent on this. Heatup is interesting, but not that important. Most people are far more concerned with max-temp fuel burn rates.
I guess we should wait to see how these changes end up, but as it looks now I have to agree.

Given that 101 degrees is enough for steam production, it doesn't really matter to me if heat-up on a 36HP remains as-is or becomes instant. The char coal nerf on the other hand, means that twice as many items needs to be shuffled around for as long as the boiler is used (which typically makes even the current heat-up period completely insignificant by comparison).

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Assuming the railcraft boiler calculator is accurate for this version (highest efficiency boiler- fully heated) [IC2 genny values from FTB wiki]

Charcoal= 800 Heat -- 7272 MJ or 22727.5 Eu (via RC turbine) -IC2 genny is 4000Eu, BC stirling engine is 1600 MJ, T.E. steam engine 3176 MJ
Coal=1600 Heat -- 14452 MJ or 45454.4 Eu --Genny gives 4000Eu, Engine 1600 MJ, TE Engine 4776 MJ
Coal Coke=3200 Heat -- 29091 MJ or 90909.4 Eu --Genny gives 16000 Eu, Engine 6400 MJ, TE Engine 5976 MJ

Hobbyist Engine uses 1k heat to make 4000 MJ (Char/Coal/Coke = 3200, 6400, and 12800 MJ)
This nerf brought boilers and hobbyist engines more in line with other mods, but still seems to offer the most efficient energy source.
Looks like Mid-Game there's some real decisions to make about when to fire up.

If its only these 3 nerfed, then charcoal= blaze rod.
(I'd love to see blaze rod buffed again- since it was only nerfed thanks to soul shards I. Soul shards II has a MASSIVE nerf. Thanks for killing ot for everyone who didn't use soul shards I !! - This is the real reason config files are needed)

Boiler Calculator -- http://calculator.towerofawesome.org/#0
IC2 Genny -- http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Generator
Stirling Engine -- http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Stirling_Engine
TE Steam Engine -- http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Steam_Engine_(Thermal_Expansion)
Hobbyist Engine -- http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Hobbyist's_Steam_Engine

Soul Shards II -- watch Dire's spotlight.​

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
This change is making me re-evaluate the tried-and-true charcoal for solid and ethanol or lava for liquid fuel sources and hence the old tried-and-true boilers, steam engines, and anything else that consumes charcoal, ethanol, or lava. The landscape has changed quite a bit in the past year or so.

RotaryCraft, for instance, has some very interesting mechanics. Some bugs, for sure, but Reika is very active and seems to turn changes/fixes around quickly.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Not to go off the rails, but other than getting wither skulls and grinding blazes in the overworld, soul shards 2 is useless if you have the ability to move spawners.

If this nerf shows anything, it's that having a diverse field of mods is actually better for the community.

Reactions: Sarda and PierceSG

Larandar

Jul 29, 2019
This is why nerf are not bad:

If it's pretty hight end, generating that much is not quite complex in most mod pack. Only MFR Fertilizer is hard to get.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019

If it's pretty hight end, generating that much is not quite complex in most mod pack. Only MFR Fertilizer is hard to get.

I think your YouTube link is bad? Or, it does not work for me at least.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

The strength of another mod does not make the nerf less bad.

For those who don't wish to look the video up themselves it's the MFR bioreactor & Biofuel generator.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Quite frankly, this only encourages me to drop Railcraft entirely, or at least not bother with boilers anymore. I can find other ways to power my base.

Boilers already had problems with space and fuel inefficiency (until they got warmed up, which takes several RL hours of play). Now you're going to make it even worse? Nah... pass.

I do like the tracks and rails, so I'll probably keep using Railcraft. But I won't be using the boilers or steam engines anymore.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Reactions: PierceSG