[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

GriefingAssassin

Jul 29, 2019
Look, there's a fine line between 'good challenge' and just tedium. Dealing with ensuring you have consistent food and water supplies takes up a good amount of time already, leaving little time to actually make forward progress. I'm currently in a holding pattern trying to get enough iron to make my first Pressure Chamber as it is, generally having to spend 50 percent of my time doing maintenance on my food and water supplies while the other 50 percent is farming up the, ah, 48 or so iron bars (not counting the loss on conversion to Compressed Iron as well as the need to spend some on shears for efficient water/dirt creation).

Complaining that soybeans (or other food items) are OP seems just... excessive. There's a limit to how much arbitrary challenge you can pile on before something becomes more of an exercise in masochism than a valid challenge.

Besides, you can't claim the pack is about thinking outside the box when /everything requires you to learn PneumaticCraft/. More like it's about 'thinking inside the pressurized box and praying it doesn't explode and ruin a few hours of iron farming'.
Your pressure chamber wont blow up as long as you don't put more than 4 pieces of coal in at one time. Stay out of the red if possible. 4 coal is putting you in the red close to explosion so maybe just do 3

Padavar

Jul 29, 2019
There should be a a safety release valve that you can use. you'll have to test how much redstone to put down. but if you get it setup right you can have it where it releases pressure once it hits a certain point.

Reactions: Genshou

Remliel

Jul 29, 2019
Your pressure chamber wont blow up as long as you don't put more than 4 pieces of coal in at one time. Stay out of the red if possible. 4 coal is putting you in the red close to explosion so maybe just do 3

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep this one in mind.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Look, there's a fine line between 'good challenge' and just tedium. Dealing with ensuring you have consistent food and water supplies takes up a good amount of time already, leaving little time to actually make forward progress. I'm currently in a holding pattern trying to get enough iron to make my first Pressure Chamber as it is, generally having to spend 50 percent of my time doing maintenance on my food and water supplies while the other 50 percent is farming up the, ah, 48 or so iron bars (not counting the loss on conversion to Compressed Iron as well as the need to spend some on shears for efficient water/dirt creation).

Complaining that soybeans (or other food items) are OP seems just... excessive. There's a limit to how much arbitrary challenge you can pile on before something becomes more of an exercise in masochism than a valid challenge.

Besides, you can't claim the pack is about thinking outside the box when /everything requires you to learn PneumaticCraft/. More like it's about 'thinking inside the pressurized box and praying it doesn't explode and ruin a few hours of iron farming'.

I have a hard time understanding your iron issue, once I've attained the Ticon smeltery and the auto-sieve my base metals cease to be an issue. shears can be an issue early on, but once you have invar.... things change quickly.

This map is absolutely flooded with resources.

regarding time, 50% on food/water? Not sure what your doing but it doesn't take anywhere near that long to manage a simple 9x and a grove of trees which is easy to attain early and far more than you'll ever need.

Koraima

Jul 29, 2019
Adding "Security Upgrade" to pneumatic machines makes it so if they reach the red they release the excess pressure. If you're afraid it'll blow up.. make a few of those

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if Iskandar has considered either removing or making the xu transfer nodes far more expensive. Their ability to create a super efficient cobble generator really strikes me as a bit of an exploit.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I typically have my high oven (maxed size) made before I start pneumatic craft, because iron ore dust (all ore dust even) is tripled in the high oven, and only doubled in the smeltery.

Also in the 1.1.2 beta:
you can find already made smelteries and parts of high oven and pressure chambers in the abandoned city that seems to always spawn right next to the crash site. You can literally raid the city within the first few days cause there's tons of water and food you can find there too. Just run over there during the day and return before night to avoid mobs. This is why I was saying earlier that the city shouldn't spawn so close to the crash site.

Reactions: Genshou

Laurelei

Jul 29, 2019
Why does my skin not show up in this pack and only this pack? It just started yesterday. It was working before...

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019

As to thinking out side the box if you or anyone else had a choice to use PneumaticCraft most would go the easy route and just do what you know. By forcing PneumaticCraft and removing food and or items now you have to learn new ways to do things and by the way there are several way to use PneumaticCraft not just by the book think and you may be able to make it easier.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
I typically have my high oven (maxed size) made before I start pneumatic craft, because iron ore dust (all ore dust even) is tripled in the high oven, and only doubled in the smeltery.
Hes planning on redoing the map so your spoiler wont happen and you will need to go a bit farther

Reactions: cannajan

Remliel

Jul 29, 2019
I have a hard time understanding your iron issue, once I've attained the Ticon smeltery and the auto-sieve my base metals cease to be an issue. shears can be an issue early on, but once you have invar.... things change quickly.

This map is absolutely flooded with resources.

regarding time, 50% on food/water? Not sure what your doing but it doesn't take anywhere near that long to manage a simple 9x and a grove of trees which is easy to attain early and far more than you'll ever need.

How are you auto-sieving? I have the autonomous activator, but I understood that you'd need a vacuum hopper (which requires obsidian, which means you need either a pick that can mine obsidian or an igneous extruder which requires Pneumaticraft to manufacture), or an Item Collector from MFR (which /also/ requires PneumatiCraft).

I just remembered that I could be saving a lot of time by setting up a vanilla cobblegen.[DOUBLEPOST=1407521315][/DOUBLEPOST]

How exactly do you get the resources needed to make a max-size High Oven within a reasonable timeframe? That's a /lot/ of clay and stone.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
How are you auto-sieving? I have the autonomous activator, but I understood that you'd need a vacuum hopper (which requires obsidian, which means you need either a pick that can mine obsidian or an igneous extruder which requires Pneumaticraft to manufacture), or an Item Collector from MFR (which /also/ requires PneumatiCraft).

I just remembered that I could be saving a lot of time by setting up a vanilla cobblegen.

check out Purplementats Obsidian: Stone Barrel vs Igneous Extruder video and Saices
For PurpleMentat Item collector thing video on youtube. In fact watch all there stuff and you can find some great ideas

Remliel

Jul 29, 2019
As to thinking out side the box if you or anyone else had a choice to use PneumaticCraft most would go the easy route and just do what you know. By forcing PneumaticCraft and removing food and or items now you have to learn new ways to do things and by the way there are several way to use PneumaticCraft not just by the book think and you may be able to make it easier.

I'm willing to learn PneumaticCraft to work up the tech progression tree (even if I feel that the mod was designed more by an engineer than a game designer. Could be worse. Could be GregTech.). That isn't the problem. The mod is at a good level of difficulty now. If I didn't think it was enjoyable I wouldn't be playing it even after dying a bunch of times (after I functionally beat AgSkies). I have no real issues with continuing on progression how it is at this point. Maybe I'm being /too/ cautious but it's hard to judge that.

You keep saying 'easier' like it's a bad thing. It's a hardcore mod, yes, but that doesn't mean everything has to be absurdo-hard. Keep a reasonable perspective here. Not everyone is as finely honed as you are in conquering the specific challenges of this pack.

Remliel

Jul 29, 2019
check out Purplementats Obsidian: Stone Barrel vs Igneous Extruder video and Saices
For PurpleMentat Item collector thing video on youtube. In fact watch all there stuff and you can find some great ideas

Those are some very useful ideas indeed. Thanks for letting me know about this, though I will have to of course alter the strategy to account for not having infinite water and lava. Hahaha.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019

I just remembered that I could be saving a lot of time by setting up a vanilla cobblegen.[DOUBLEPOST=1407521315][/DOUBLEPOST]

How exactly do you get the resources needed to make a max-size High Oven within a reasonable timeframe? That's a /lot/ of clay and stone.

You can get obsidian that does not require a pick using stone barrels. You put a bucket of lava into the stone barrel then pour water over the top of it and the lava will turn into obsidian that you can right click to take directly out of the stone barrel.

Also, you do not need a vacuum hopper to automate the seive with the autonomous activator. You can make a water channel pouring over the top of the sieve to push the contents into a vanilla hopper going into a chest.

Reactions: NJM1564

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
How are you auto-sieving? I have the autonomous activator, but I understood that you'd need a vacuum hopper (which requires obsidian, which means you need either a pick that can mine obsidian or an igneous extruder which requires Pneumaticraft to manufacture), or an Item Collector from MFR (which /also/ requires

I'm not at my computer, but I posted screen shots of my water channell auto sieve a few pages back. There are also videos of similiar systems posted by others. For that setup I just use a vanilla hopper.

Along with the stone barrel method mentioned above you can make obsidian by inputing lava and water ina smeltery.

regarding the vanilla cobble generator.... I see it as an exploit but take a look at the tranfer node (item)... dirt cheap and provides huge amounts of stone.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Any way to deal with problematic creepers in general? I keep getting them exploding in my mob grinder, this was causing serious problems when I used lava (the signs, and sometimes the lava source blocks if they were close enough, were getting destroyed) but it seems to be no longer an issue with the pit trap. I'm positive it's related to creeper plant seeds, and I'm positive it's violating gamerule mobGriefing. Add another thing to the long list of 'great' features of PneumaticCraft, I guess? :\

An interesting thing I found out recently was that steves factory manager doesn't blow up as easilly as say an itemduct, fluiduct, etc... Thus, you can use it next to a vacuum hopper and have them not blow up on you and have to replace them constantly.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
I'm willing to learn PneumaticCraft to work up the tech progression tree (even if I feel that the mod was designed more by an engineer than a game designer. Could be worse. Could be GregTech.). That isn't the problem. The mod is at a good level of difficulty now. If I didn't think it was enjoyable I wouldn't be playing it even after dying a bunch of times (after I functionally beat AgSkies). I have no real issues with continuing on progression how it is at this point. Maybe I'm being /too/ cautious but it's hard to judge that.

You keep saying 'easier' like it's a bad thing. It's a hardcore mod, yes, but that doesn't mean everything has to be absurdo-hard. Keep a reasonable perspective here. Not everyone is as finely honed as you are in conquering the specific challenges of this pack.

trust me im not perfect i learn new things about minecraft all the time its just that a lot of people prefer to complain about how hard and unfair this pack is and ask him to make it easier instead of trying to find another way of doing things. Not to mention he already said he hates us and wants is dead.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I never used lava in my mob grinders. My very first mob grinder only used fans and punji sticks and a vac hopper to collect items. Creepers never destroyed anything that way. Then I eventually upgraded from punji sticks to mfr grinders.