[1.5.2] NumiRP

ryanjh5521

Jul 29, 2019
So, you are making rules about your blatant rip off of parts of RP2? That's hilarious
It's not all that much a ripoff considering the fact that he remade all code. What would be messed up is if he made it closed source.[DOUBLEPOST=1370217658][/DOUBLEPOST]Numerios good luck.

Reactions: NoobIsMeX

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
So, you are making rules about your blatant rip off of parts of RP2? That's hilarious

It's no less ridiculous than some of the licenses mods have. Mainly since they forbid the exact things the modder did to create their mod in the first place.

Anyway, all* of Redpower's features have been remade or replaced by other mods. And many of these options are better. This particular mod just aims for a full mod replacement. It's a clean single body necromatic endeavor, instead of the Frankenstein type thing needed currently to replace Redpower.

*Even frames, surprisingly. Of course, they apparently are implemented in an incredibly insane way, which can break things without said things considering frames when coded. Because a frame API would be terrible.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
So by the rationale presented in many replies, then I can code BossEcksWhyCraft and release it as an "alternative" to Xycraft. It's a mod that's not publicly updated and as long as I code it from scratch, I can positively impact the mod community by directly duplicating someone else's work, that they made in their free time? I can make BossEcksWhyCraft tanks, valves, fabricators and soil?

It's the Internet and these are mods. Once your idea is out there, people will copy, I accept that. But copying on this level just seems really hack-ish. I mean copying the ores directly to interact with the world exactly like someone else's mod? That's..... Ugh. Do what you like but this is not cool in my book.

Reactions: Bagman817

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
So by the rationale presented in many replies, then I can code BossEcksWhyCraft and release it as an "alternative" to Xycraft. It's a mod that's not publicly updated and as long as I code it from scratch, I can positively impact the mod community by directly duplicating someone else's work, that they made in their free time? I can make BossEcksWhyCraft tanks, valves, fabricators and soil?

If the creator of XyCraft stops developing it and also doesn't want to hand it over to someone else, why the hell not? Just copying something that's actively being developed is just a waste of time simply because then you have two mods that just do the same, but the author of NumiRP is spending his free time to fill a gap that has suddenly (not that we didn't see this coming) appeared so why the hell should he not do that? And he's not doing this for personal gain, he's doign this because a LOT of people have a problem if they're just going to remove RP2; with it's worldgen and stuff gone you'll have huge gaps in your world.

And even if you want to 100% copy an already existing mod; be my guest. Pretty much every single game out there has copied parts of other games. Heck, the very fist computer games were just computerized versions of games like chess and tennis!

Reactions: AlanEsh

ryanjh5521

Jul 29, 2019
RedBoss. This topic isnt really going to impact anything related to NumiRP. Hate on him all you want he is not going to care.

Reactions: NoobIsMeX

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013

It's the Internet and these are mods. Once your idea is out there, people will copy, I accept that. But copying on this level just seems really hack-ish. I mean copying the ores directly to interact with the world exactly like someone else's mod? That's..... Ugh. Do what you like but this is not cool in my book.

Oh man false equivalencies all over the place. Redpower is dead. Deceased. No longer able to continue. XYCraft however, has signs of development. Hell, someone could make a 1.5 only mod called XYholder that allows you to carry over XYCraft worldgen through 1.5 and that would be pretty useful. And currently, that's the only thing NumiRP is really doing. Letting you take stuff from RP2 World into 1.5, so in the highly unlikely event RP2 does update, you'll still have the worldgen stuff. Public service right there. And of course, since Redpower isn't coming back, hey, replacement. It's going to happen, no matter how many people cry about it.

Numerios, don't let the haters get you down. You're doing something cool and being cool about it. Redpower's replacement is inevitable, so it might as well be done by someone who will open source the effort.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Numerios

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to know how this mod began.
My favourite server was in a dire need of RP2. It was waiting for it so it could update to the next version and bring the other modders' goodies that they had prepared for the 1.5.2.
I had a chat with the server's owner and jokingly said that I'd remake RP's worldgen so the server could start.
So I sat down and started experimenting with modding (had some basics of Java from before) and actually managed to do the ores, the storage blocks, the gems and the ingots.
Then I looked on the Internet if there isn't any similar mod and saw that my favourite server wasn't the only on in a need of the world gen. And so I posted the picture to these forums into a thread called something like "What mods can be used to replace RedPower?".
The reaction of people in that thread amazed me and driven by the support of people here I created a replacement for the RP's worldgen.

If I could I'd release this as public domain but my country's legislative does not support public domain as a form of license so I chose a very liberal license that allows you to do anything. (Minecraft Mod Public License)
I claim only my textures and code, not the ideas. The ideas that are in the mod as of now are all from Eloraam, that is credited almost everywhere possible.
Yet the mod won't use just her ideas. In the future versions there are a lot of things to come (to be implemented) and a lot of Eloraam's ideas were just thrown out of the window as laggy or obsolete or just plain bad.
In the future there'll be a compatibility setting in the mod itself. If switched on, only the worldgen and the lamps will be loaded. If switched off, it'll also load some of other things later planned in the mod that will not be compatible with the original RP2 (the machine overhaul for example).

Thanks to everyone for support and suggestions, I'll try to have the next version including the lamps (that you can see on GitHub right now if you want to) and bags, both canvas and seed ones up soon. (I expect that within a week but don't take it as an ETA)

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I am of mixed feelings. First I still find it funny that people are hailing the end of RP2 as Hyperme said. Second is I applaud the maker of the mod for making a mod. I highly suggest naming it something different. Make it your own. Personally I would have just kept it between friends but that is me.

Numerios

Jul 29, 2019
I am of mixed feelings. First I still find it funny that people are hailing the end of RP2 as Hyperme said. Second is I applaud the maker of the mod for making a mod. I highly suggest naming it something different. Make it your own. Personally I would have just kept it between friends but that is me.
I'm still on the fence about the name of this mod, if you have any sensible suggestions for it, just send me a PM and I'll consider them. :)

I originally wanted to keep it personal as well but then I saw that there is not similar mod currently "on the market".

Reactions: RetroGamer1224

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
So basically everything I never bothered with from RP2.

Worldgen is easy. Now try the tubes, machines, bluetricity, and everything else.

As it currently stands? Yet Another Stupid Worldgen Mod. Also completely irrelevant, considering Power Crystals and Immibis have pretty much done all the important things (MFR's Rednet system and Microblocks/Infinitubes).

Reactions: RedBoss

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Wow...I mean wow. I am 100% behind this effort. I think Num here has some great plans for this mod. Sorry you feel that way Shneekey.

Numerios

Jul 29, 2019
So basically everything I never bothered with from RP2.

Worldgen is easy. Now try the tubes, machines, bluetricity, and everything else.

As it currently stands? Yet Another Stupid Worldgen Mod. Also completely irrelevant, considering Power Crystals and Immibis have pretty much done all the important things (MFR's Rednet system and Microblocks/Infinitubes).

Yes, the very first version of this mod is just another worldgen. And I actually agree, it's not that hard if you consider the amount of work needed to create the more complex features.
As it stands now - it's "Yet Another Stupid Worldgen Mod". Yet even this stupid worldgen mod could help many people that are switching from 1.4.x to 1.5.x with keeping their precious ores.
It can also be now used as a placeholder - just a WorldGen module that can be later replaced by whole functioning RP2. Not many worldgen mods can actually do that.

Reactions: Geometry

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yes, the very first version of this mod is just another worldgen. And I actually agree, it's not that hard if you consider the amount of work needed to create the more complex features.
As it stands now - it's "Yet Another Stupid Worldgen Mod". Yet even this stupid worldgen mod could help many people that are switching from 1.4.x to 1.5.x with keeping their precious ores.
It can also be now used as a placeholder - just a WorldGen module that can be later replaced by whole functioning RP2. Not many worldgen mods can actually do that.
Any worldgen mod with Forge Ore Dictionary hooks and the correctly named blocks can. Your point being? Come on, this is like the very first tutorial up on the Forge website. This is the 'Hello World' of modding. It is nothing special.

Quite frankly, I've moved on from RP2. I've got MFR for Rednet so I don't need the wiring module. I've got Pipes, AE, and Infinitubes instead of tubes. I've got machines that do equal to or better than what RP2 had from a half dozen other mods. Heck, even MPS has the leafblower module and TC/Natura has the kama for sickle-effect. I have no need for computers.

RP2 was awesome for its day, but now you've got other ways of doing everything important from the mod. It would've been great for an all-in-one mod if you had to have a 'one mod for a server' situation, but really... I've got everything I want elsewhere. This is... less than useless.

Numerios

Jul 29, 2019
Any worldgen mod with Forge Ore Dictionary hooks and the correctly named blocks can. Your point being? Come on, this is like the very first tutorial up on the Forge website. This is the 'Hello World' of modding. It is nothing special.

Quite frankly, I've moved on from RP2. I've got MFR for Rednet so I don't need the wiring module. I've got Pipes, AE, and Infinitubes instead of tubes. I've got machines that do equal to or better than what RP2 had from a half dozen other mods. Heck, even MPS has the leafblower module and TC/Natura has the kama for sickle-effect. I have no need for computers.

RP2 was awesome for its day, but now you've got other ways of doing everything important from the mod. It would've been great for an all-in-one mod if you had to have a 'one mod for a server' situation, but really... I've got everything I want elsewhere. This is... less than useless.

As I said before, I do not want to recreate all of RP2 stuff. There are lots of overcomplicated or just outright stupid and today unnecessary things in it.
This is just the first version of the mod and I do not intend to copy all the features from RP2.
Come to see this mod two-three months later. It'll be either non-existent or with many new things :)